Author Topic: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread  (Read 390145 times)

Offline Narvi

Re: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread
There were gauntlet missions?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
He may be refering to some custom made gauntlet missions, but I'm not sure. I have several of them. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No he isn't. BtRL had a bunch of multiplayer missions where the player could use missiles as well as KEWs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep. They came with the original release.

You could just host your own server and play them if you wanted. The missiles were a good time.

Offline Enker

Will those missiles be launchable? As in we can see them flying off the Viper and they stay off? for the remainder of the mission?

They did in BTRL :D

BTRL had missiles.

What.
They were even in the training mission.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Will those missiles be launchable? As in we can see them flying off the Viper and they stay off? for the remainder of the mission?
I could just say yes, but this is more fun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That actually makes it look kind of like the missile model is still on the wing.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
It isn't :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm confused. The Viper appears to have six missiles on the wings, with a seventh in flight. Are the two outboard missile pylons doubles, with the right pylon already having fired one, and the left pylon currently firing another? Leaving a single on each outboard pylon?

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
I had already fired one missile and the screenshot is of the second launch.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Gotcha. Sorry about that.

Offline eldain

Looks way better than the rockets in BTRL, :yes: I wondered at the time will they ever fix these terrible rockets,
cause I hated being blown to smithereens by rockets which were twice as fast, and which never seemed to miss me even though I made 360 barrel rolls with thrusters on max in the opposite direction.. :mad:

Will you all find the time to alter this?, and will the cylon nukes have the nice distinctive red glow i so much like?

last question, earlier on I was told that we wouldn't be able to shoot rockets, like it is often done in the series.
At the time it was said it had something to do with the freespace code diffrence between rockets and bombs, is that going to change?

cheers martin (eldain)

(pencils are not only for picking my nose)
---pencils are not only for picking my nose---

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Weird...I was able to dodge those rockets most of the time without CM's (on medium). Perhaps because my Darkwing training. Actually I found them very weak, and I was on the side making them stronger. Than the tabler guys told me that it is supposed to be "easy to avoid" on easy and "nearly impossible to escape" on insane, which made me convinced.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:06:24 am by Meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't know what you mean by not being able to shoot rockets eldain. The combat raptor certainly shots them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I don't know what you mean by not being able to shoot rockets eldain. The combat raptor certainly shots them.

Me thinks he meant to shoot down missiles.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Looks way better than the rockets in BTRL, :yes: I wondered at the time will they ever fix these terrible rockets,
cause I hated being blown to smithereens by rockets which were twice as fast, and which never seemed to miss me even though I made 360 barrel rolls with thrusters on max in the opposite direction.. :mad:

Will you all find the time to alter this?, and will the cylon nukes have the nice distinctive red glow i so much like?

You shouldn't have any trouble dodging missiles if you wait until the last second (when the 'beep beep beep' is really frantic), jink hard, and pop a countermeasure.

last question, earlier on I was told that we wouldn't be able to shoot rockets, like it is often done in the series.
At the time it was said it had something to do with the freespace code diffrence between rockets and bombs, is that going to change?

Any weapon with the 'bomb' flag you'll be able to shoot down. This will probably include nukes, but (just guessing here!) not fighter-to-fighter missiles. The Diaspora team itself would have to address that.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
cheers martin (eldain)

(pencils are not only for picking my nose)
You can put your tagline in a signature, Profile>Forum Profile Information.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline eldain

Erratum:  I indeed meant shoot down,

The being shot down by missiles was most often during games made by others than the btrl devs. Games where you are shot simultaneously by five different raiders..... next to that it will probably come down to more training in the first release  ;)
(although changing the difficulty would also help of course)

Last but not least, I loved the nuke explosion(I thought it was in the 2 trailer) will those weapons include tearing battlestars/ capships into two pieces?
I would enjoy seeing sixes float past me after a basestar was turned into a nice smoking football of debris....

martin

PS/ thanks for the tip on tag lines, much appreciated...
---pencils are not only for picking my nose---

Offline Rainman

Weird...I was able to dodge those rockets most of the time without CM's (on medium). Perhaps because my Darkwing training. Actually I found them very weak, and I was on the side making them stronger. Than the tabler guys told me that it is supposed to be "easy to avoid" on easy and "nearly impossible to escape" on insane, which made me convinced.

Completely agree... I felt the missiles were just about useless unless I'm going head on with an enemy, in which case i switched on double fire, kept playing with the side thrusters so he'd miss, and then pop two right in the cockpit when it was too late for him to avoid them. The thing that bothered me the most is that i would feel like one missile should end a tiny fighter like the viper or raider fairly quickly, and they were way too weak in btrl.

Avoiding missiles was a joke, I almost felt like they were circle fight starters because they forced me to pull a high G turn so that they would follow me a lot slower, and then drop a countermeasure if they kept following.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It seems like they're more effective on Insane, so maybe you should turn the difficulty up?