Author Topic: Positions Available - How To Join The Diaspora Team  (Read 53638 times)

Offline Crias

Re: Positions Available - How To Join The Diaspora Team
I'm reasonably confident in my ability to UV unwrap and texture however I map using stock textures. I've only ever created texture maps once or twice. If you guys have a decent tutorial I can follow that would be fantastic. It's something I need to learn sooner or later anyways. Out of curiosity what model format do you guys use? OBJ, DAE, 3ds or proprietary formats like LWO and max?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
.dae files are generally easy to convert.

If you're interested, I'm sure newman has some suggested art assets for prospectives.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Crias

Blender has an extension for exporting to .dae so that's cool. Yeah sure what ever you guys need. Just send me an email or something and I'll do what I can.

Can I apply for the Public Relations office, I feel that this game is really lacking the proper community management and could definitely use some more support from the gaming community.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Send me a PM (Or better yet, start another thread) and tell me what exactly you have in mind.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hello,

are you still looking for C++ programmers? I would be interested :)

I don't really have anything to show off, but I develop for a living and I have strong development skills. I'd love to help diaspora with my development abilities.

I'm not afraid to start with some basic "grunt" tasks to get my head around your code before moving on. Or be tested on some code samples, figuring out what's good/wrong (such as I've seen in many interviews).

I am not a BSG expert, nor an OpenGL guru, nor a Net wizard. Just a regular developer, with good abilities, experience in C++(98|03|11|14) and willing to give roughly half a day per week to diaspora :)

Oh, I'll be coding on Linux (Mint), and I also have some experience with continuous integration (should you find that interesting).

Sincerly,

Greg*

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The SCP can always use new coders so it's not that hard to get started actually. A Diaspora coder is merely a FS2_Open coder who gives more priority to the features we want in the engine than other projects. So you can check here for information on how to get the code out of SVN and get started.

I'm sure I could fairly easily find you a few minor tasks that need doing which no one has gotten around to yet. Swifty is technically the head of the code department so it's up to him to assign you a job but if he has no suggestions for anything we need badly, I'm sure I can find something we need done. Give me us a shout once you've checked out and built FS2_Open and one of us will assign you something.

I'm on our IRC channel large portions of the day (although I might be away from keyboard for long periods) so that's also a good way to get hold of me.

Well, that's great :)

I checked out the source, built it, and I already see something I'd like to do (seeing that the CodeBlocks file hasn't been updated in 6 years...).

Are you familiar with CMake? It makes it much easier to manage cross-platform multi-ide projects, avoiding you to manage the "projects" folder by hand (and getting rid of the autotools O:-)).
If you don't have any objections, I'd like to write the appropriate CMake files for the project. This will allow me to browse the code for dependencies, and get started gently.

Otherwise, any task will do.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually, one of the Diaspora coders was already working on using CMake. The topic is on the SCP private board so I can't link you to it unfortunately but if you send a personal message to m|m and tell him you're interested in this, I'm sure he can bring you up to speed with what he's done. I think he actually needs someone else to help him test.

Offline Echelon9

groscask, always happy to chat with potential new coders.

Hi everyone!
I'd like to localize the current version of DIASPORA in Italian language.
To do so, I'd like to be contacted by the developers to have the extract of the text used in the game (or the language file).
Due to the different layout between Italian and US keyboards, there are also some changes to apply to that setting.
I hope to be of help, there are so much Italian players who would love to play Diaspora into their native language.
Best regards
Paolo aka Morpheus
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:42:04 am by morpheus19770 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Download this file Replace the English entries in both table files with Italian (use 7zip to open the archive and wordpad or your favourite text editor to change the text itself). After that is done, it should be pretty easy to get things working in-game.

If anyone wants to try a different language, the process is much the same.

Download this file Replace the English entries in both table files with Italian (use 7zip to open the archive and wordpad or your favourite text editor to change the text itself). After that is done, it should be pretty easy to get things working in-game.

If anyone wants to try a different language, the process is much the same.

OK, Thanks karajorma, I'll do my best to make it work!
Do you want the translated files for further use?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I definitely want the translated files once you've finished them. It will allow the team to offer Diaspora in Italian in the next patch.

That's OK, it will be finished ASAP, I'm already working on it.

Hello everyone,
first of all, congratulations for this awesome game, it looks fabulous!
I don't know if you guys still need to but I would like to be able to help to the extent of my abilities:
3D Generalist, use Blender and have low poly modeling experience for gaming and augmented reality applications. UV mapping, rigging, and especially animation.
My game experience is mostly rigging and animation associated with applications for mobile phones and RA with copyright and so I can´t show. I leave here some exemples of modeling that I have on facebook and a link to a short animation that, except for the music and logo, everything was made by me.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pajocris/media_set?set=a.1266456428744.41161.1449795017&type=3
Short movie and others- https://vimeo.com/pajo

If its of interest, email me :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:39:12 pm by Hold_StiLL »

Offline Sabudum

Hello Diaspora team, take a look at some of my work on modelling, texturing and animating, here at my DeviantArt page:
http://thakruger.deviantart.com/
I'm from Brazil and i'm currently working on 2 Brazilian game projects, called 171 and Challenges: O Início.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
PM sent.