Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 854793 times)

Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
I have an Intel GMA 950 onboard video card, with Pixel Shader 2.0 but no Vertex Shader; will I be able to handle Diaspora with that? It looks awesome.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
You definitely won't be able to run it at those specifications. If it does run, it'll likely be really slow.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:24:14 pm by Swifty »

Many congratulations to all involved, and good work breaking the site, heroes!

Offline Quiet

• Shhh.
Fantastic news! I've still been popping in and lurking to keep up to date. Very proud. Always good to see talented people put something amazing together :)

Offline Vip

Haven't finished it yet, but wow... Haven't felt so excited since playing War in Heaven. Great job, Diaspora team! It's not only the best BSG game, it's also one solid piece of a space-sim. This and Wing Commander Saga make me feel like it's early Christmas :D

Though I admit, those HMTs on the basestar could be tweaked.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Just downloaded on my laptop and played, with a mouse, on the advice of a friend. AWESOME WORK. Will fly tonight at home with a real stick/rudder/throttle and FreeTrack.

One question: What's necessary to get TrackIR enabled? Do I need to download the DLL as mentioned elsewhere, or is that packed in the installer? I guess I'll just try it and see what happens and go from there..

Also one comment: I don't suppose we'll ever get self-shadowing in the cockpits? They feel much "brighter" than the darker ambiance of what little we saw in-cockpit during the TV series. I realize it's probably not technically plausible with the FS2 engine, though. Things like RTT instruments are already pretty awesome, so take this as a "wow wouldn't it be nice if" rather than a "boo, hiss, this thing you are giving me for free is not perfect, pardon me while I have a temper tantrum." :D

Offline Nighty

Congratulations to all involved. It's one thing to start a promising project, but it's quite a different matter to see it through and spend the extra time polishing it before the final release. I don't think enough people realise how much time and effort go into these projects before they culminate in a release.
It's a truly wise man who doesn't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Rearming by flying through the hangar works in a gamey-sense but not a BSG sense.

WHAT? I did not even knew that? Seriously, that works? Since the game was perfectly playable on "Advanced"/Medium without knowing that, I assume you can axe it. Never entered a hangar other than to launch or to land. By the way, that hangar interior is probably the only ugly texture ingame...

Forgot to mention that I LOVED THE NEW HUD and target lead indicator :-)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Nighty

"boo, hiss, this thing you are giving me for free is not perfect, pardon me while I have a temper tantrum." :D

Meh, even if it was intended like that, you'd still be pardoned. The team is hopefully too busy showering each other in champagne to notice anyway. ;)
It's a truly wise man who doesn't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Offline Kolgena

I can't wait to play this, but I might have to wait a few weeks :(

(Bagpipes? In mah launch trailer?? Also, yay for people who actually seed. Downloaded the whole thing in 10 minutes)

Offline newman

The .dll needed for trackIR (or freetrack) is included with the game, you don't need to do
anything else to enable it. Just hook it up, run your headtracking software and it should work.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You wake up one morning and instead of blood your heart will be pumping only awesome.

Though I'm curious; the music is very underplayed, here. I haven't poked the volume settings at all so I'm curious why I'm not listening to it at higher volume that would be comparable to the volume the show usually played its music at. Uncontrollable defaults? Imported FS2 settings?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
You wake up one morning and instead of blood your heart will be pumping only awesome.

Though I'm curious; the music is very underplayed, here. I haven't poked the volume settings at all so I'm curious why I'm not listening to it at higher volume that would be comparable to the volume the show usually played its music at. Uncontrollable defaults? Imported FS2 settings?

Music was intentionally muted, but the volume controls are there for a reason. :) I use them liberally and to good effect.

I usually find these kind of games a bit too confusing for my tastes. I managed to dumb down most of the controls onto my Xbox 360 controller (Triggers acceleration, shoulder buttons next/previous target, D-pad thrusters, A fire, X missiles, B countermeasures, Y afterburner, left click auto-target on/off, right click thumbs up) and play it on easy (because I suck at these, and realised I was missing a lot of control funtions.

And I loved it. It fits in really well with the BGS universe, and I was surprised about a couple of choises you can make as a player, in particular the Prometheus in the final mission - that felt exactly like something that would be written for the show.

The looks are also spot-on, especially how the Battlestar and Basestars are positioned, the way they fire and the missile/slug/explision field. The Vipers and Raptors feel brilliant, too.

My only complaint (and I'm not sure if anything could be done with this) is targeting mission-critical targets (the ones you have objectives for), and it seems like something which can be a pain even the full controls. If there was a way for the auto targeting to prioritise these, it would be great. Still, it's a minor complaint.

Anyway, brilliant work. I'm going to play through a few more times and I look forward to more missions.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Would you be willing to do a post about converting the controls to a gamepad that we could sticky for people?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Rearming by flying through the hangar works in a gamey-sense but not a BSG sense.

WHAT? I did not even knew that? Seriously, that works? Since the game was perfectly playable on "Advanced"/Medium without knowing that, I assume you can axe it. Never entered a hangar other than to launch or to land. By the way, that hangar interior is probably the only ugly texture ingame...

No, that is not a feature since it isn't something that feels like BSG and the whole limited resources deal.

On the flight deck texture, we did what we could.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own

Thanks! I was the one that did the code and artwork for the HUD. ;)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No, that is not a feature since it isn't something that feels like BSG and the whole limited resources deal.

Would probably be nice for the inevitable "some anonymous programmer patched the CNP by accident" campaign, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Well R2 will do more automated landings as seen in the tutorial instead of combat landings. Partly because the Valk doesn't have the proper landing lights for manual landings!
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I am now going to watch BSG to see what I'm apparently missing.

And this, right here, is exactly why I say that mods are good for the IP holder. All over the world you've got people getting fired up about BSG again, and people who like flight sims but never watched BSG deciding that maybe they missed out and need to go to iTunes or Hulu or whatever and get hold of the episodes. Hell, maybe we've even shown Syfy that there's a big demand for BSG, big enough to finally release Blood and Chrome.

IIRC the episodes are available on Hulu.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]