Author Topic: Any way to get a viper Mk 2 in diaspora?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline emark4

Any way to get a viper Mk 2 in diaspora?
Hi, I just recently downloaded diaspora shattered armistice after watching some battlestar Galactica and I'm loving every moment of it. However, I was surprised by the lack of the iconic viper Mk 2 ship. I wanted to fly one of those things and was disappointed that I start off in a Mk 7.

Still I was wondering, is there a way to fly a Mk 2. I know its supposed to be "weaker" than the Mk 7 but I love its cockpit and design over the Mk 7.  Or is it flyable in the next release or as a separate standalone mod ive never heard of.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Any way to get a viper Mk 2 in diaspora?
The problem with the MK II is that there wasn't really any way to include it in R1 without it obviously having been crowbared in. In BSG it all followed organically from the idea that the Galactica was being mothballed and that they wanted vipers for the museum. The Theseus on the other hand was an active warship. Having Mk II's on board makes absolutely no sense. Sure we could probably have found a way to include them somehow but certainly not easily or in a way that fit the plot of the story.

R2 is probably the earliest you might see a MK II Viper. But even then we still need someone to model the cockpit (the fighter itself is done) before we can release it. Believe me, we want the MK II flyable as much as you do.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The problem with the MK II is that there wasn't really any way to include it in R1 without it obviously having been crowbared in. In BSG it all followed organically from the idea that the Galactica was being mothballed and that they wanted vipers for the museum. The Theseus on the other hand was an active warship. Having Mk II's on board makes absolutely no sense. Sure we could probably have found a way to include them somehow but certainly not easily or in a way that fit the plot of the story.

R2 is probably the earliest you might see a MK II Viper. But even then we still need someone to model the cockpit (the fighter itself is done) before we can release it. Believe me, we want the MK II flyable as much as you do.
Speaking of the Mk. II, how have you guys/do you guys plan to differentiate/d it from the Mk. VII, gameplay-wise?

Offline emark4

Okay, makes sense, I thought all the Mk 7 ships were taken out by the cylons.

Regardless, its good to know the game is still being worked on. And If you know any mods that will let me fly a Mk 2 in some form, I'd really like to know.

Thank you

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Speaking of the Mk. II, how have you guys/do you guys plan to differentiate/d it from the Mk. VII, gameplay-wise?

I'm not really the best person to ask about the differences since I'm just responsible for turning the already working ships into missions. As a result I haven't played with the MK II much since it's not finished. But the two ships should definitely handle differently. The big question is how to do that. Last time I seem to remember discussing it there was a question about how to balance the MK II's manoeuvrability and toughness. Should the MK II be more of a tank than the MK VII or should it be lighter and more agile? I can't remember off hand what we decided.

Offline Spitty

Not sure if I should post this but been working on a full scale MkI cockpit set of plans. 

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline emark4

Not sure if I should post this but been working on a full scale MkI cockpit set of plans.

A mk 1 ? Don't you mean Mk 2? Oh well, either way new cockpit models will be nice for freespace 2.

A mk 1 ? Don't you mean Mk 2? Oh well, either way new cockpit models will be nice for freespace 2.

Nope, looks like the Mark I (AKA the 1977 series Viper).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We could use a MK I cockpit eventually though.

Offline Spitty

Cool..Was designed for another project but hopefully it can be utilized here..

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Kara, if the MK2 ever gets finished, an easy fictional justification is a cache like Ragnar Anchorage - the R2 Battlestar needs more airframes, so it cracks open an old deep space cache or boneyard full of Mk 2s. Vacuum is a great preservative, so it's plausible some Vipers were just left parked to be gradually stripped or sold off.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Or some were sold to planetary defense units (like how Iran still operates Tomcats).

Offline Spitty

Or a long lost Battlestar is found......