Author Topic: Diaspora physics in Freespace?  (Read 3819 times)

Diaspora physics in Freespace?
Greetings, I have been quietly following the Freespace 2 project for a few years now.
I initially found out about it from a review of Diaspora, back in 2012 I think?
When I first started up the viper I was in complete awe. Alas, the campaign was very short, and I quickly moved to FSport and Freespace 2 Open.
I didn't even know existed until I found out about diaspora.

They had great graphics, good story, fun shooting. But something really felt amiss.
Eventually I figured out that it was the physics. Simply put, Freespace didn't have any.
In Diaspora the near-Newtonian physics completely change the way the game feels.
It gives you the extra smudge of realism that Freespace is lacking.
In Freespace, it seems that an object in motion stays in motion only as long as it is under acceleration.

So my questions are as such;
Is it possible to port Freespace 2 Scenarios\FS campaigns to Diaspora in order to achieve near-Newtonian physics in Freespace?
Can you retain such functions as glide and 2-axis strafing?
Should I go the other way about this? Porting these features from the Diaspora engine to the Freespace engine?
I should imagine it wouldn't be too difficult as these are basically the same engine?

BTW, I have searched the forums for similar topics but I have found none. I apologize if I missed a duplicate.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Re: Diaspora physics in Freespace?
I believe that's the $use newtonian dampening AI Profile flag.

You can change it whole sale by including the flag in a copy of the MVPs AI profiles table or on a ship by ship basis.

You're going to need to extract either the mv_assets-aip.tbm or mv_assets-shp.tbm from the MediaVPs to make the changes. This can be done using any of the multitude of VP extractors that are lying around.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:59:12 pm by DahBlount »
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I should note that the Diaspora Engine *is* the FreespaceOpen engine.  So yeah, per DahBlounts advice it's possible to have Diaspora flight physics in Freespace2/FSPort, you just need to configure the engine appropriately.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I believe that's the $use newtonian dampening AI Profile flag.

You can change it whole sale by including the flag in a copy of the MVPs AI profiles table or on a ship by ship basis.

You're going to need to extract either the mv_assets-aip.tbm or mv_assets-shp.tbm from the MediaVPs to make the changes. This can be done using any of the multitude of VP extractors that are lying around.
Thank you for the fast reply,
I opened up the asset vp file in mediavps2014, I extracted the table called mv_assets-aip.tbl.
I edited it like this:
Code: [Select]
#AI Profiles

$Profile Name: FS2 RETAIL
+nocreate
$Detail Distance Multiplier: 1.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0

$allow vertical dodge: YES
$ai aims from ship center: YES
$ai path mode: alt1
$use newtonian dampening: YES
$Glide YES
#End
But It seems to make nil difference when I insert it back into its place in the vp file.
It seems to me that I'm getting the same results as before. Also no glide. Is there something else I need to do to get glide?
I assume I made some silly mistake. First time trying to configure the game like this though, so forgive my newbness.

Btw, this is supposed to change the config for ALL ships and ais. What if I only wanted it to affect the Player?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:50:05 pm by nanddark »

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Instead of trying to insert the table back into the VP file, try putting it in mediavps-2014\data\tables. Next check the wiki page for Ai_Profiles and make sure the flags appear in order as they appear on the wiki page. Additionally, $Glide: is a ships.tbl entry parameter, not an Ai_Profile flag. You attach $Glide to each ship in the ships table that you want to have Glide.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Instead of trying to insert the table back into the VP file, try putting it in mediavps-2014\data\tables. Next check the wiki page for Ai_Profiles and make sure the flags appear in order as they appear on the wiki page. Additionally, $Glide: is a ships.tbl entry parameter, not an Ai_Profile flag. You attach $Glide to each ship in the ships table that you want to have Glide.

Thank you, I got glide to work by creating a mv_assets_shp.tdb in /data/tables. the exact content of the config I used is:
#Ship Classes

;======>======>======>======>>TERRANS<<=======<=======<=======<=======

$Name: GTF Myrmidon
+nocreate
$Glide: YES
+Dynamic Glide Cap: YES
+Glide Accel Mult: -1.0

#End

To give glide to a Myrmidon.

Now about the dampening,
I looked in in R1_Core.vp and found the ai_profiles.tbl. I pasted its content into the mv_asset_aip.tbm.
It feels a lot more natural now, but for some reason it still doesn't respond to forces like the viper. With the viper I can't change directions instantly, I have to use counter forces. But even after copying the ai_profiles into the mediavp mod it still doesn't feel quite right for some reason.

One more question, side thrusts, possible? I mean the same thrust you use to perform landings in diaspora. Is this done via configuration, or lua maybe?

Now about the dampening,
I looked in in R1_Core.vp and found the ai_profiles.tbl. I pasted its content into the mv_asset_aip.tbm.
It feels a lot more natural now, but for some reason it still doesn't respond to forces like the viper. With the viper I can't change directions instantly, I have to use counter forces. But even after copying the ai_profiles into the mediavp mod it still doesn't feel quite right for some reason.

One more question, side thrusts, possible? I mean the same thrust you use to perform landings in diaspora. Is this done via configuration, or lua maybe?

You probably need to give the fighter non-zero speed on all axis, for instance :
$Max Velocity:          35.0, 35.0, 75.0

Thanks, I changed to config to accommodate for that.

I have the weirdest issue, I think it may be a bug.
Only one of my pilots can glide, doesn't matter which ship. Any new pilot that I create cannot glide.
There's no difference between the pilots what so ever so I have no idea what caused this issue. I thought it may have to do with changes I made in the mediavps .vp file, so I double checked with another mediavps and I have the same problem. Engine issue perhaps?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
For each new pilot you'll need to rebind a key to one of the "activate glide" keys.  Because default Freespace doesn't have glide, the default pilots created in Freespace related mods don't have a glide key bound by default.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Yup, that did the trick. Many thanks :lol:.

btw, I copied the entire Ai profile from Diaspora to Freespace alongside with the dampening setting, this seems to have the positive effect of causing Shivans to behave more like Cylons.
They do not break when suffering major damage on their 12 oclock. It also seemed like they were trying to ogg me more aggressively.