Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 116957 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: Warships of the TEI (RLS: Diomedes - IP: Chimera)
Yep. That looks better.

2. Racing stripes. It needs racing stripes. The more you put on it, the faster it'll go. Wait.

That was a joke suggestion until I realized the model is already covered in what essentially amount to transverse racing stripes.

Offline Aesaar

Hang on.  Do GTVA corvettes have escape pods?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm not sure if there's any canonical information.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't think they do, since the only pods ever seen in FS came out of fighter bays, and the corvettes (except the Diomedes) have none.

Offline Axem

Quote from: FreeSpace 2 Tech Room Entry
The GTEP Hermes escape pod is now standard equipment on every GTVA warship of cruiser size or larger. Each ship has several escape pods magnetically coupled to airlocks scattered around the ship's outer hull. Not intended for whole-crew evacuations, the Hermes has space for up to 20 crew members. Each pod is propelled by a small fusion engine, enough to remove the pod from the immediate vicinity of an exploding warship. It is also capable of subspace jumps.

Unless safety laws have regressed since FreeSpace 2, I think they would have.

Offline -Norbert-

Considering that even fighters in BP have escape pods (or more likely eject the whole cockpit) it wouldn't be much of a stretch to give smaller capships escape pods.
One could argue that the Hermes are just especially big pods and thus can only launch from the Hangar.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Seeing as Faustus's have hermes pods...i wouldn't see why not.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Yep. That looks better.

2. Racing stripes. It needs racing stripes. The more you put on it, the faster it'll go. Wait.

That was a joke suggestion until I realized the model is already covered in what essentially amount to transverse racing stripes.
DA RED WUNZ GO FASTA!

you set that one up, not me :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline -Norbert-

Seeing as Faustus's have hermes pods...i wouldn't see why not.
I always figured that was an exception, because they expected a Vasudan attack on the ship and there was a pretty good chance of it being destroyed (apart from being an inconsistant plot device that is...).

Offline crizza

Would be funny to see a stricken corvette vent it's armour plating only to release a swarm of escape pods^^

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It would probably be easier to put escape pods if Hermeses were human-sized instead of being like large enough to accommodate like a hundred crewmembers each...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Aesaar

These will look a bit off because I haven't added markings or re-baked the AO, so keep that in mind.

4 pods on each wing, each nestled in a gap in the hull.  They're oriented like that because it's the only way to hook them up to the ship without having either the window or the engines exposed.  Note that they're just static detailing and won't be undockable.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Works for me, doesn't look out of place, adds some welcomed detail to what was a flat hull plane.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline sky-

Maybe if the escape pods dont look fitting at the end, you could think about vents for excess plasma from the reactor / beam generators.

Offline -Norbert-

Or hatches that are closed over the actual escape-pod. Just having the pods docked externally sounds like it would compromise the armor in that area far more than a "door" would.

That is one point I liked about ME2, that the Normandies escape pods were protected by a massive armor plate that moved aside to allow them to launch, though that wouldn't solve the problem of putting something into a bland area, unlike the hatches.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I would suggest "button panels" for where the escape pods are mounted, though this would require you to adjust the UV map... or, you could just put a normal map detail in the area. This conceals the escape pods from the outside, protecting them from minor hits and stray fire. When necessary, the panel bursts off after the crew has boarded, and the ship is ejected on a rail from the ship. Such a solution is more elegant, I think, and better fits in with the visuals of never seeing the escape pod launch ports that supposedly all or most FS ships have.

To illustrate, I have attached perhaps the worst bit of Paint-made concept art I have ever prepared:

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Or hatches that are closed over the actual escape-pod. Just having the pods docked externally sounds like it would compromise the armor in that area far more than a "door" would.

That is one point I liked about ME2, that the Normandies escape pods were protected by a massive armor plate that moved aside to allow them to launch, though that wouldn't solve the problem of putting something into a bland area, unlike the hatches.
It seems like it would make more sense for the escape pod hatch to be blown off with explosive charges than moved aside with a mechanism. Less potential to fail, simpler, the ship's probably in dire straits at that point anyway.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Kolgena

The way those escape pod things are now... well. Let's just say I had no idea they were escape pod hatches until I read what they were supposed to be. They're not very recognizable as something an escape pod comes out of.

Offline -Norbert-

It seems like it would make more sense for the escape pod hatch to be blown off with explosive charges than moved aside with a mechanism. Less potential to fail, simpler, the ship's probably in dire straits at that point anyway.
While I agree with you on that, it really doesn't change how it looks when they are closed, which is the point of the discussion. I doubt we'll ever see them actually used, though that would be very cool, if the engine and model can handle it. I suppose that would also require and empty space and a docking point beneath the disposable armor slab.... and a new escapepod model too.... the Hermes just doesn't seem right for that kind of thing, it's more like a shuttle than an emergency life-boat.

Offline Drogoth

On the topic of the Raynor discussion, I to, for what it's worth think the struts are a bad thing in the design.

Say what you will about a design's 'character' but when a facet of that character makes what is supposedly an impressive and powerful warship seem like a fragile floating stick it detracts from rather then adds to that character.
TC 2 Fan club for Life