Author Topic: FSPort AI behavior  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Aristo

FSPort AI behavior
Sometimes it feels like the AI is trying to bump into me. Whether I'm making a turn and my wingmen don't bother to make room and turn with me, or I'm in a tight dogfight and that darned Shivan just has to swerve into my ship. In FS2 Open, I could get by without colliding each mission. When I'm playing FSPort, it feels like bumper cars. Is this just me?

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
No its not just you, i have the same issue, its funny watching Shivan bombers and figthers attacking a Orion, they fly at it with full afterburners, smack into the hull, bounce back and then ram it again! they keep doing it until they blow themselves up! I mentioned this issue before and nobody responded back, glad i am not the only person to experience this.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Yarn

I'm having difficulty reproducing this. If you're not using it already, could you try the latest nightly build (not 3.7 RC1, please) and see if this behavior happens there too?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I haven't encountered any greater-than-usual tendencies for the AI to ram me, but I did encounter an over-zealous instructor in Training Mission... 3, I think, where your instructor shoots the drone to demonstrate it getting damaged... the first time I ran the mission, he blew it up and then yelled at me for not following orders. In particular, I noticed he fires a missile at it, which I don't remember happening in the original game... fortunately, on a subsequent run, the drone survived... at 30% hull. I noticed something similar in the mission where you have to disable the Dragon; my wingmates blew it up instead, and I specifically noticed the kill shot was an MX-50 (I solved that problem by disabling the Dragon before clearing the area, since the AI ignores it at that point).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

I haven't encountered any greater-than-usual tendencies for the AI to ram me, but I did encounter an over-zealous instructor in Training Mission... 3, I think, where your instructor shoots the drone to demonstrate it getting damaged... the first time I ran the mission, he blew it up and then yelled at me for not following orders. In particular, I noticed he fires a missile at it, which I don't remember happening in the original game... fortunately, on a subsequent run, the drone survived... at 30% hull.
I checked the original game just now; he does indeed fire a missile there, and the drone's hull drops to about 35%.

I noticed something similar in the mission where you have to disable the Dragon; my wingmates blew it up instead, and I specifically noticed the kill shot was an MX-50 (I solved that problem by disabling the Dragon before clearing the area, since the AI ignores it at that point).
The problem here appears to be that, after the Shakti is destroyed, Alpha is ordered to destroy Arjuna 1's engine rather than to disable Arjuna 1 (no, they're not the same order, even though they appear to be). Because of this, Alpha is making no effort to keep Arjuna 1 intact. Retail FS2 also behaves this way, but FS1 does not. Fortunately, this is easy to fix.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i don't know if i would describe it as the ai is TRYING to hit me, but i've noticed a complete disinterest in avoiding collisions by the ai since retail.  and there's also that thing where they can get stuck in the "form on my wing" command and as a result hump your fighter from behind constantly.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Aristo

i don't know if i would describe it as the ai is TRYING to hit me, but i've noticed a complete disinterest in avoiding collisions by the ai since retail.
Very much so. Dogfighting near a large vessel usually results in the fighter I'm chasing to try and shake me, only to bump into the hull, bounce back, and then muck around in place like it's trying to reorient itself. And when I've got someone on my tail, if I slow down to turn around and return fire or I flip to get behind them, they smack into my hull like kamikazes.