Author Topic: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 79963 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
Pardon my ignorance. Who's Scotchy?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
GREAT MOTHER OF GOD. I see why you wanted him in.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Can I join? I build stuff... occasionally. 8)

Scotchy!!! :)

I tried to contact you a while ago.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Dabrain has an army of avatars now, I notice.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The term is badges :P

Offline Mr. R

Omg, Scotchy! <3

Offline Scotchy

• polyonymous
Speedy ! <3

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
@ Scotchy
Dirty south? The dirty north more like :nod:

You need to come to HLP London 4.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
http://www.mediafire.com/file/utmjnttzyb4/flyby2.avi   Battlestar Ouroboros made by tan.j

my engine effects

Let me know if you're interested... Rather have the products of my hobby be used by someone than not. I use Lightwave btw. I haven't made any explosion rigs yet, but that's probably what I'm going to be working on next. I also suck at modelling, can only do basic stuff like containers for effects, like I did with my engines.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:30:24 am by DragonClaw »

Hey people.....

First off, thank you very much- this forum was a breath of fresh air to see. :)

Would like to see if you all need any help with the sound editing, am fairly good at working with that sort of thing. Could process already completed work and/or create/emulate sounds needed. Goodly amount of experience, mostly in Adobe Audition, but capable of using most other digital editing software.

Also, I wanted to ask if you need any help hosting things over the net- I do a lot of it as I share tons of stuff with all the people I left behind in the States to come to school over here in Germany, and would be more than happy to host just about anything on just about any site you'd like, if some of you don't want to be bothered with the hassle (I only mention because I saw Flipside's comment in the Dev Blog about needing a place to put up his music....)

Hope you can find a place for me to help, if not, I'll most certainly be hanging around eagerly anticipating your release... :)

Cheers!

Offline Mr. R

As far as sound goes no clue.  Though I do know we now don't need extra storage as we have more available space than we could ever use.  The offer is awesome though :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Would like to see if you all need any help with the sound editing, am fairly good at working with that sort of thing. Could process already completed work and/or create/emulate sounds needed. Goodly amount of experience, mostly in Adobe Audition, but capable of using most other digital editing software.

Have you got any examples of your work you can let us listen to?

Hey- just figured I'd put these up for everyone instead of troubling Kara to pass the info along....let me know what you think.... :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fa1d678580f4b5abd2db6fb9a8902bda
http://hosted.filefront.com/PraetorMagnus
http://rapidshare.com/users/GQR1JI

All of them but the 'Battlestar Explosion' I worked up today using Audacity and white noise, and tried to get more 'pop' out of them than I did with the Battlestar Explosion. They are, after all, explosions. :)

Cheers all!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
PraetorMagnus, your skills could really be used on Silent Threat Reborn -- you could singlehandedly finish the project, since I believe some audio work is all they need done.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Oi! No poaching. :D

I'll have a listen to these in a sec and get back to you. I was very busy yesterday and didn't get the chance to do any more than pop in occasionally.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sorry 'bout that. I'm not actually involved with ST:R, but I think we'd all be glad to see it finished, and perhaps he could work on both at once?

All ST:R requires is the normalization of a bunch of voice files.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I can provide moral, emotional, and mental support! Can ah join?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Sorry 'bout that. I'm not actually involved with ST:R, but I think we'd all be glad to see it finished, and perhaps he could work on both at once?

Up to him really but Diaspora has a wide fan base and it's silly to assume that anyone offering to join is automatically a fan of Silent Threat or even that they have the faintest clue what it is.

And secondly it's in rather poor form to poach from us when we're fairly desperate for sound engineers too. Remember that while Silent Threat may need voice acting work done it already has all the sound effects it needs while we have close to bugger all for either. Poaching staff from us in a badly needed area pushes back our release date just as much as it brings ST:R's forward.

I can provide moral, emotional, and mental support! Can ah join?

Given that you got my hopes up when I saw that there was a new post and then made me feel sad when I realised it wasn't a serious candidate for a position we really need, you have already failed the selection test. So no. :p
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:26:59 am by karajorma »

Enki

I code.  In fact I teach coding!  C++, Java, Python, some lite C, and a little Obj-C on the side.  I work on a Mac, but I can use a PC well enough when required.

I have some aging basic OpenGL experience, haven't touched it in six or seven years though.  I did drag a grad student Graphics Programming course through building a basic ray-trace engine and am currently resuscitating a modeling and sim grad sequence on physically-based modeling.  Yeah, I also have a part-time dissertation working on that stuff too for those that remember comments from over on the BtRL boards. Being part of a modeling and sim curric I have a decent handle on most of the non-content creation issues surrounding "serious games" although not a lot of implementation work, something I would like to chip away at.  [Saying "serious games" is just how you get the government to pay for something has has the word game in it.]

I didn't have much time to get involved previously, despite some desire, as that was right in the middle of getting ready to teach a couple courses for the first time and early stages of writing my proposal. That's now well past.  Now I can use a couple hours a week sanity time on something personally relevant, not day-job related.

I don't have anything code-wise to show off, classroom toy problems and examples aren't the kind of stuff you put on a CV, even when you are the one making them up and wringing them out.  My previous life before joining academia was a USN helo pilot.  I hunted subs, flew search and rescue, blew things up with Hellfires and did CSAR, which would seemingly qualify me as a Raptor bubba.  :lol:  A little more seriously, that is the kind of thing which could be useful as mission consulting. Like the show, entertainment and play value needs to come first, but the ex and retired military guys can help eliminate avoidable military related "believability" issues.

Back here on Earth though I managed to get FS2 installed on this Mac via GOG and VMWare and then laid The Whole Enchilada of FS2_Open over the top of it.  It runs on the debug build I built from the source and I actually started playing FS2 on it last night!  I've got a Mantis account, but nothing jumped at me as being immediately tackle-able by someone who doesn't yet know their way around the code.

Did the joystick sensitivity stuff ever get satisfactorily fixed?  It didn't seem so last night, I play with an X-52 and I still can't hit the broad side of a barn. If that's still an open issue it may be a good spot for me to get started while I poke my way through the source.