Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 280934 times)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Okay, now it should work... At least mostly. Here's the MAX 5 version, the other two come tomorrow (don't have the SDKs here for compilation):

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sticks/pofexp-max5.zip
Probably away. Contact through email.

To tell you guys the truth, programming is so far beyond my comprehension level, but from what I  observed in 3dsmax, smoothgrouping  adds extra normals where necessary on vertices. Are these the normals you folks are talking about? So is Freespace capable of having vertices with multiple normals that will produce smoothgroups?

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
OK another dumb question, do you just like draw it to model it, or do you hafta do alotta numbers n ****?
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Omniscaper
To tell you guys the truth, programming is so far beyond my comprehension level, but from what I  observed in 3dsmax, smoothgrouping  adds extra normals where necessary on vertices. Are these the normals you folks are talking about? So is Freespace capable of having vertices with multiple normals that will produce smoothgroups?

Yes, FS is capable of that, and that's what I'm trying to fix here. The normals on the main LOD0 mesh seems to be working correctly now, but it's screwing up the other subobjects, apparently. It would be really awful of the normal index was a per-POF file matter instead of per-subobject (which is already bad enough) - cause I can't think of another reason for the normals to be messed up on the subobjects.

Bob, can you confirm that? Are the normal indexes accumulated per subobject?

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ummmmm......models are cool.  Chocolate anyone?
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

I remember those days when model creation involved logarithms and stuff. POV-Ray I think. God bless those who invented GUI. If you know how to use Adobe Illustrator, that would be a rudamentary lesson in model creation. Throw extrusions and splines into the mix and you basically got modelling techniques. If you want to get into modeling, tryout Gmax.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ok, I just noticed that it will keep correct smoothing information on the submodels, as long as the faces are assigned to a smoothing group. Auto-smoothing doesn't seem to help a lot, though.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
And a warning - now it seems to be crashing on the second time I try to export something on the same session, so save your scene before exporting.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Hmm, good news - auto-smooth will work if you convert the model to an Editable Mesh before exporting. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
*posts to get email updates on thread* :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
is there a poly limit on this? I've got a 5098 poly ship, that just refuses to convert... Thats only with detail-0 and nothing else too...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Nope, I've converted ships with over 10k polys with no problem... What's happening? If it just crashes, you should check the materials, see if they're all properly set and all. If they're all ok, send me the log files and I'll try to check it out.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Well, its opening in modelview fine... And it worked as a pof when it was about 30 meters long, but now when i put it into FRED, I get a CTD...

AHTW

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, then that's probably a FRED problem...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Well, now the results are different... It used to be that BEFORE it rendered the model, it would crash, now its after... I'm trying it ingame now...

AHTW

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Ok, worked in the tech room, but it took almost 30 seconds to load the model (don't know if thats normal, as its the first model i've tried on my laptop)... It worked ingame fine, but when i minimised to type this, it CTD'd... I don't know if it was Alt-Tabbing, or something mission related... So i'll check again... I'll also try with different FRED builds...

AHTW

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Alt-TABing kills FS2 for me even without using anything this plug-in made. I suspect the problem was the same for you.

As for taking 30 seconds to convert is this a HTL model? This is the 5096poly model you refered to earlier? If so then I'm surprised it converted that quickly. :) Again this is an FS2_Open problem and most likely nothing to do with this converter.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

My God, the shading is PERFECT!!!!  CASED CLOSED is the shading issue!!! Styxx, MAD KUDOS!!!!

The only issue left is the reversed shading on the parent mesh. As you can see the nacelles have the proper shading and the the rest of the hull is reversed. I'll try reversing the order to see what happens.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Hmm, it's like the normals are flipped? I can see it's "shadowing" the wrong side of the engineering body section... Strange stuff, as it's the exact same code that generates the normals for all submodels, independent of order (it's the same method that builds all Object chunks). But I'll look into it.