Author Topic: FSPort 3.1.1 Released!  (Read 129319 times)

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Not sure if this is the thread to Mention it in, - if not then move it to the correct thread - most likely the Major thread about the cutscene - but since the Vasuda Toasting Cutscene has been brought up in this thread, i though id mention it

Ive come up with a solution that may solve the Movie limit problem that prevents you watching all 10 original movies + Icey's Vasuda Toasting scene without too much faffing around with the campain file

[Problem]
Presently the engine limits you to 10 Cutscenes and you can only watch 1 cutscene per mission.
So if you want to include the Vasuda Cutscene in its proper place, you have to remove one cutscene and ALSO bump "Ancients 4" onto another mission.

[Solution]
Merge the "Vasuda" and "Ancients 4" into a single long movie.
Basically Take "Ancients 4" then once it fades out, tack on the "Vasuda" to the end...
The result should be

ANCIENTS MONOLOGUE 4,
(fade out, then fade into)
Vasuda Toasting scene.

Now this should work And if it does, could be used on other cutscenes.

Thus:
If Icey Jones ever finishes the "Lucifer at Ribos" cutscene, it can be merged with "Ancients 3"

However, the Bad Ending Cutscene (should Vasudan Admiral ever complete it) requires something a bit fancier.
1) It will require the removal of 1 cutscene - either the Lab Scene or Hallfight -> I personally prefer the removal of Lab scene
2) Due the "one briefing cutscene per mission" rule, the bad ending will require its own mission.
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Basically Take "Ancients 4" then once it fades out, tack on the "Vasuda" to the end...
The result should be

ANCIENTS MONOLOGUE 4,
(fade out, then fade into)
Vasuda Toasting scene.

Now this should work And if it does, could be used on other cutscenes.

I had suggested exactly this in the internal forum. :) Of course given the low quality and relative simplicity of the Ancients visually, I would want to re-render it with the original soundtrack, then merge THAT.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I just played the original FS1 campaign and it showed all the cutscenes.  The 10 original and the Vasuda Toasting cutscene.  I think the limit problem was fixed.  I just added the Vasuda Toasting cut scene yo the movies table and modified the campaign file to move the ancients monologue back a mission and add the Vasuda toasting cutscene.  I had made my own modification to the campaign file when the cutscene was first released and never had a problem with it.  The original modified campaign file replaced the ancients monologue 4 with the Vasuda toasting cutscene.

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:33:05 am by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Yep, the problem about 10 cutscene limit is fixed with newest builds. See Mantis 1847
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline ShivanSpS

Some things i noticed, Stern and Dutbs. i can give orders to then, i could break the mission.

oh... and this

in the ST:R threat you say "What now", Vacations.... mmmmm ... mmm... taking the risk of been beamed, i could recomend "The Great War: Reborn"? lol   ***runs out of range***
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:38:03 am by ShivanSpS »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Nah, The Great War campaign is just fine as-is. Operation Templar, on the other hand... :drevil:

And I could swear that background had been fixed. I blame Goober. And Snail, just because.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Nope, sunsathanas01.pcx is not fixed in 3.1.1.

I uploaded a fixed version in this post in this same thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,58357.msg1183783.html#msg1183783
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Narvi

Ooookay, the Moon looks way too small in that pic. It's supposed to be a quarter of the Earth's diameter, not about the size of England.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
er, yeah, dunno how that happened either.

And didn't someone say the credits were broken too? Tyr's toenails, I should just re-FRED the whole mission.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I removed the credits because there were too many of them.  They kept on getting truncated because there were too many words per training message.

But at the very least, yes, we should fix the Earth and Moon problems. >.>

Offline ShivanSpS

Nah, The Great War campaign is just fine as-is. Operation Templar, on the other hand... :drevil:

Nah, many missions in the Great War are way too simple/easy, and others ones that makes no sence.

Maybe it dont need a re-work like ST (with is likely too hard and long to do), but many missions surely could use a re-desing...

I agree with Templar.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't think we're going to redesign any Great War missions.  We've enhanced them with backgrounds, better graphics, and better models, but that's about it.  If you want a different set of missions, you might want to check out What If.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Upon playing some of the original FS missions, you can tell that :v: was rushed; some of the mission briefings are very sparse, and compared to ST:R, they leave a lot of whitespace on the screen.

So when are you guys going to integrate Ross 128 into the Port?  :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ross 128 is not a Port campaign.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Upon playing some of the original FS missions, you can tell that :v: was rushed; some of the mission briefings are very sparse, and compared to ST:R, they leave a lot of whitespace on the screen.

Yeah, but that set the benchmark. I'm actually not that happy with all the walls of text we have to confront the player with--maybe if we had a dedicated writer to do some editing--but FS1 is FS1 and we can't really see anything wrong with the way it's done. Improvements we thought needed to be made, we made. Silent Threat was a special case as it really had to be gutted then renovated.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Ross 128 is not a Port campaign.

It needs the Port to work!
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not an official project by the Port team, is what I meant.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Operation Templar Reborn? :pimp:

And I could swear that background had been fixed. I blame Goober. And Snail, just because.
Damn, my sabotage has been uncovered.

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
2 quick questions.  I just installed the 3.1.1 using Turey's installer and I'm uncertain about two things. 
1) The readme says that registry hacks are required to get the maximum beauty out of these vps.  If we are using 3.6.10 SCP, does that still apply?
2) the fsport-hi_res.vp is installed, but the first post on this board says that it is a retail level enhancement...so is it even necessary if we use the fsport mediavps?
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
1) The readme says that registry hacks are required to get the maximum beauty out of these vps.  If we are using 3.6.10 SCP, does that still apply?
No.

2) the fsport-hi_res.vp is installed, but the first post on this board says that it is a retail level enhancement...so is it even necessary if we use the fsport mediavps?
Well, let's see here...

† A retail-level enhancement; you won't need this if you're using the mediaVPs.
...what do you think?