Author Topic: How to install FSPort-not sure if I am doing it right  (Read 6745 times)

How to install FSPort-not sure if I am doing it right
I download FSPort 1.0 and extract that. Do I still need to install any of ther mission files below?

From the web page.
"Those of you lucky enough to have both Freespace and Silent Threat are in for a real treat! Copy your cbanims.vp file to your Freespace 2 data directory, then extract the files in mdisk.vp starting with "cb_" to your data/interface/ directory. Use the Descent Manager tools to extract them. Now you have all the command briefings avaliable for the main campaign when it is released! Download these files to your data/tables/ directory.

Download Weapons- This includes all the Freespace 1 weapons and animations.

If you don't have Silent Threat, you'll need this table. It has all the same weapons, but reuses the Freespace 2 loading animations. Make sure you rename it to weapons.tbl if you want FS2 to recognise it.

Download Weapons (no anims)- This has all the weapons but none of the animations."

I own Silent threat---So do I use the renamed weapons table with none of the animations if I extract the files from the Silent Threat MDISK.VP? Or does it matter which weapons table I use?

Also what does it mean "Copy your cbanims.vp file to your Freespace 2 data directory"? Freespace 2 has a cbanims sub-directory in the Data sub-directory. Do I copy the Silent Threat cbanims.vp file there?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 13, 2002, 11:58:15 am by 602 »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You want to use the weapons.tbl. This will use the FS1 animations contained in cbanims.vp and the anims you extracted from mdisk.vp. Silent Threat cbanims go in the Interface directory because they are used in the interface-- the weapon loadout screen. I am currently working on a solution which is a lot less confusing and only uses one weapons.tbl.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I put the cbanims.vp file in my data\cbanims directory and did all the other stuff and it is working great! :)

This port is awsome. Since my upgrade to Win XP, FS1 would not work well for me and would 'hang' at certain times which was enough to be annoying and unplayable.

My only regret is that I can't finish Silent Threat. I am not experienced at this kind of stuff but if you have plans to port Silent Threat and need help, I am willing to try if you are willing to teach.

I wrote 2 batch files to help switch between running your port and normal FS2. In my data\tables subdirectory I created another directory called fs1. In there I have all the tables for the port and these 2 .BAT files.

FS1.BAT
@echo off
copy c:\games\freespace2\data\tables\fs1\*.tbl c:\games\freespace2\data\tables

*and*

FS1del.BAT
@echo off
del c:\games\freespace2\data\tables\hud.tbl
del c:\games\freespace2\data\tables\ships.tbl
del c:\games\freespace2\data\tables\stars.tbl
del c:\games\freespace2\data\tables\weapons.tbl

When I want to play normal FS2 I run FS1del and when I want to play your port I run FS1.Bat.

It not much of a contribution but it helped me.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Have you seen that FSPort v. 1.0 is out? It has everything in one VP file that you can just move somewhere else when you want to play regular FS2, no BATs required. You'll still want the weapons.tbl that accesses all the FS1 weapon animations, though.

Silent Threat is being worked on, and yippee! all the bugs will be fixed as well.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
ST shouldn't be too long, since it's only a quarter the size of FS1 (IIRC). :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yah, only 12 missions. But FRED2 won't read them. :(

you mean 12 mission are cut of???
--- none ---

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Rampage, ST only has 12 missions in the first place :)

oooooooooo, did't know that :D , i thought it was longer so why that box said 40 adiional missios??im getiing confused  :confused:
--- none ---

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
12 missions in the ST campaign. It also comes with 28 additional individual missions Volition liked.

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
12 missions in the ST campaign. It also comes with 28 additional individual missions Volition liked.

Maybe those who submitted the 28 would consider porting them over to FS2?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Originally posted by VikingBerserker

Maybe those who submitted the 28 would consider porting them over to FS2?

;7

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

;7

I think DOP had a couple of missions in there ... :)

Offline Eggbert

hi ge

i've downloaded fs1port & copied the .vp file into my fs2 main dir. then i fired up fs2.......& played fs2 (doh) missions

i think i'm missed something. did i do something stooooped?
how do i get the mod to run? pls xcuse my ignorance.

Could you plz check the KILL SHIP BY TYPE in the Player Starts, I dummo if is only me or if it happens to other ppl, but the names of the shios get all sweup up, all the ship names changes..

is a bug??? or is only on my PC
--- none ---

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Egghead- go to the campaign room and pick The Main Freespace Campaign.

Rampage- I know! Is that weird or what! Probably a result of my rearranging the tables. You know, putting everything in a nice and tidy order so we can find what we want in FRED2. Has anyone FREDded with it on yet?

I Imagine that, but is not a big deal, I was just asking, I thought maybe you didn't notice, but is not a big deal anyway
--- none ---

Offline Eggbert

thanx man...will try again.  i know i was an egghed, but the name's eggbert ;-)

Egghead- go to the campaign room and pick The Main Freespace Campaign.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Just kidding.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yes, the Port is selected just like any other fan-made campaign; that's what the campaign section is for in FS2. :D