Author Topic: Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Reborn  (Read 174969 times)

Re: Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Reborn
I think the Imperials figured out that trick already.  :p

But it would still be awesome to see.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, actually that was the sensor dish IIRC, but yeah.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
That is a beautiful starship. Please let it come in Errant Venture Red...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
You'd need to tear off most of its weaponry then. :nervous:

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Not quite dead yet.  God this hurts my eyes...

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Is that the normal map? It definitely looks pretty.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
It will become the normal map.  At the moment it's just splines though.  Easier to edit those than it is to work in raster
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline newman

Yep, paths are really practical once you get used to the weird way PS handles them. I'm a bit dumbfounded why couldn't they just adopt the Adobe Illustrator ways of dealing with beziers, but meh. It works, just takes a bit of getting used to. Enough rambling, though. Great work, brand, can't wait to see it evolve to a full normal mapped beast.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Hoorah! You've caught up to where you were before!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Those lines on the bottom part remind me of Etch-a-Sketch... :) Good times.

also,

I hereby mandate that anyone creating assets for the FreeSpace community be required to utilize a RAID 5 array for their data storage, until five years have past and they have become a repository of awesome, at which point they will be required to utilize a RAID 6 array for their storage.

This will be funded by... :nervous:  the leprechauns.  Yes, they are huge FS Open fans.  :warp:

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

also,

I hereby mandate that anyone creating assets for the FreeSpace community be required to utilize a RAID 5 array for their data storage, until five years have past and they have become a repository of awesome, at which point they will be required to utilize a RAID 6 array for their storage.

This will be funded by... :nervous:  the leprechauns.  Yes, they are huge FS Open fans.  :warp:

All FotG assets are backed up remotely currently.  And I can certainly attest to the fact that RAID is not a substitute for backups, as I've lost 2 drives out of a RAID 5 array at once, losing all data.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There was a report I read that stated that most RAIDs were nearing the point of being a statistical certainty of having a second drive failure during a rebuild after replacing a failed drive, using the Mean Time Between Failure of the average consumer level drive.

But anyway, I'm wondering if this is going to get mirrored or if each side needs to be etched independently.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
great job brand, though now I am still after feedback from you, I really hope you have time to talk soon

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

also,

All FotG assets are backed up remotely currently.  And I can certainly attest to the fact that RAID is not a substitute for backups, as I've lost 2 drives out of a RAID 5 array at once, losing all data.

Solution:  At 0.5 expected drive life, replace half of the drives, one at a time, with a month in-between each drive replaced (Do an exact copy to new drives).  Then, you can use the old drives that are out of circulation in another RAID 5 array with brand new drives, replacing the new ones one at a time, with one month in-between.  Then wipe the almost new, extra disks, and you will have drive replacements for when old ones fail.

Or: Use RAID 6, which can handle 2 drives dropping at once.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Just back up your important stuff on several USB sticks, it's much cheaper.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Haven't heard anything from Brand for awhile, but then I haven't had the chance to log in to the chat for just as long so it's entirely possible he's been active there.  Anything new to show us since the last render?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Unfortunately, Brand's apparently been busy with other things for quite a while now and we haven't heard from him, so a few months ago I started to work on the finishing touches for the ISD, including texturing, modeling fighter bays and such. I've already posted some initial progress on the internal, but I'll drop some screenshots here too as soon as I reach some milestones.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Glad to hear that it's still moving forward then, and thanks for picking up such a large and important project!  I look forward to seeing it when you have something to share.

Maybe see if you can coordinate with bobbtmann on the hanger bays and such, since he's doing such a fine job on the Mon Cal.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I've plotted most of the windows on the glowmap (I'll vary their brightness later and maybe add some more overall), modelled and unwrapped the hangars (not pictured yet) and made some progress on the normal mapping.

It's WIP, no feedback needed.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I just bricked myself.... then came

this is awesome  :eek2:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art