Author Topic: Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Reborn  (Read 174966 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Reborn
This isn't exactly an extreme close-up, but ought to give some idea of where I'm going with the fine details:
Thank you.

It really looks great! :nod:

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
In the Name of Emperor Palpatine, all Members are under Arrest until they finish the mod.

:D
Looks like someone played some X-Wing Alliance lately. ;)

That ISD-I model is truly amazing. :)

This is an ISD-II.

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Very good.

Another question: How many Star Destroyer variants are in the plans?

Executor, Dominator, Victory, Interdictor?
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It'd be really hard to do the Executor justice. FoTG is a bit short on staff now, and this would be a massive undertaking.
It should be possible to have at least Dominator and Tector classes, though, since they were ISD variants and the base model is pretty much done.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
We don't have plans for any others in the first release. Afterwards, the Interdictor would probably be at the top of the wishlist.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed. It'd be quite an important addition to the Imperial starfleet. Dominator is too big to be used as widely as the Interdictor, but a hyperspace inhibitor would expand the mission making options somewhat.

Offline Luis Dias

Not to mention that warship kicks ass aesthetically.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Interdictor-class Star Destroyer is a modified Imperial I-class Star Destroyer with gravity well generators added. The Dominator was a ship of this class.

In the X-Wing games, there was another type of Interdictor which was, most likely, an Immobilizer 418 cruiser (modified Vindicator-class cruiser) because those were the most common type of interdictor in the Imperial Navy. Although, they were also called Interdictor class, they were never classified as a Star Destroyer.

However considering they're basically nuking the SWEU and probably most of the ship designs with it, I don't know if you guys intend to still use EU designs (which includes some of the ships in the X-Wing games) or stick to film designs only.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
However considering they're basically nuking the SWEU and probably most of the ship designs with it, I don't know if you guys intend to still use EU designs (which includes some of the ships in the X-Wing games) or stick to film designs only.

The primary focus is on film designs, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing we'll accept or include in the mod.  Designs from EU are subject to any amount of re-imagining the modeller wants, and if it meets our criteria for matching the quality and feel of the original trilogy ships, there's a good chance we'll include it.  I'd love to have some sort of interdictor cruiser in, it just needs to look like it belongs with the rest of the Imperial craft we see on screen.  That means that it can, but doesn't have to resemble the TG versions or any other EU source.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I have to say, I'm very impressed with what you've done with my work zoo.  I know I mysteriously disappeared, and unfortunately more work on this project is something that I am unable to continue with at this time, as I'm sure you've all figured out by now.

With that said, and perhaps this is both the worst (being perhaps my most iconic work) and best (being a successor of my first ever work for this game) thread for me to pop into.  If there's anything I can say to the community surrounding our project, the hard work we've put in, and the hours we've all sacrificed, it is that I never would have stopped work without trusting that there were others who would be able to pick up what I'd done and complete it as well, if not better than, anything I have done.  For years I put my heart and soul into this project, but unfortunately there were a number of real life complications that abruptly caused an end to my involvement.  In fact, perhaps end is not an ideal description.

I'd like the dev team to know that I have, at every opportunity, followed your progress with the utmost of interest.  Your work has been nothing short of incredible since my sudden disappearance, for which I apologize.  I left you all without warning or explanation.  That was unfair of me, you deserved an explanation.  I still have no true explanation beyond the typical "real life got in the way".  With that said, perhaps it is a back-handed compliment, but my abrupt disappearance was enabled by my utmost faith in all of you to continue on without me.

Those who are part of our IRC channel may have noted that I have continuously idled for years, and I'd like you all to know that, whenever possible, I read on the goings on of this project.  Why?  Because I still believe that this is, without exception, the only game to ever recreate the true Star Wars experience.

Will I be back?  It's possible, work has slowed down and my life has become simpler lately.  Do I expect that others will wait for me?  Definitely not.  Ultimately I'd like to say that, for the other members of the team who have carried on without me, I am supremely proud of all of you.  Your work has shown that my faith in your abilities was warranted.  Perhaps someday I will be back with a new model or texture, but for now, I feel that you all have surpassed many of my strengths, and for that I thank you for carrying on both my vision, and that of Chief, who has worked hard to keep everything together in turbulent times. 

In short, Zoo, keep up the good work.  If you need any assistance, whether it be references, my previous work, or simple advice, please contact me.  I can't promise a speedy reply at this time, but I guarantee I will.

I'm honoured that you've all continued what I've done, and keep up the good work, I know I'm already proud of all of you, and my pride in you can only grow from here.

Cheers,
Brand.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:00:31 am by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
OH MY

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
OH MY
I know it's not the original, but I kinda prefer this version:

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
OH MY
I know it's not the original, but I kinda prefer this version:

Maybe it's just me, but I've always kinda liked this guy's medley version:

(Is this a thing that we're doing now?)
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
No no no no NO! Don't make me post that stupid Carlton Mid Ad!!!  :P
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Ok we should probably get back on topic here, so I'm gonna fantasize about someone (not me) making an ISD mission with the cap ship command script stuff. Sometimes you just gotta intensify forward firepower you know? Secret power is you drop an AT-AT on your enemies.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Sometimes you just gotta intensify forward firepower you know?

Oh for sure! Too bad it didn't work out for the Executor...

To be fair, it was too late!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
* Forward firepower intensifies
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:37:24 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ok we should probably get back on topic here, so I'm gonna fantasize about someone (not me) making an ISD mission with the cap ship command script stuff. Sometimes you just gotta intensify forward firepower you know? Secret power is you drop an AT-AT on your enemies.

The script is nice, but I'll point out (not ungratefully) that most of the cool stuff about CSC missions is actually done in FRED. The LUA just helps with turret management.