Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 619287 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What are you playing right now?
Out of curiosity how are the Dark Souls ports for PC?  I'm curious about picking the series back up but would rather utilize my new rig than dig up the console.

Dark Souls - Prepare to Die Edition is a horriblebad port but there is community patch which unlocks all the graphics options, softening the blow - the patch is even linked too on the Steam Forums

Dark Souls 2 is good port

Dark Souls 2 - Scholar of the First Sin is good port

Dark Souls 3 is good port, some even say it's superior to the PS4 version

Final mission of Brood War ... I really miss all those convience features for Zerg-players (e.g. giving Eggs and groups of Eggs an individual ralley point)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:51:49 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Out of curiosity how are the Dark Souls ports for PC?  I'm curious about picking the series back up but would rather utilize my new rig than dig up the console.

The first one is good enough (TM) if you have a 360 pad or similar but if you want a decent resolution you need to mod it since by default it only upscales the original console resolution for some weird reason.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It also assumes you're using a controller, doesn't have a rebind option for keys, and doesn't tell you what key corresponds to which controller button.  Have fun figuring out what the A button is supposed to be!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well I've a copy of DS1 for the Box but it looks like the follow ups are worth picking up?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Puzzle Quest - and I hope I'm almost done because it's just a slightly less **** version of Candy Crush by and large.

Offline 0rph3u5

Well I've a copy of DS1 for the Box but it looks like the follow ups are worth picking up?

If you have not already played the Atorias of the Abyss-DLC for Dark Souls on console, you should delve into DS1 as well. The community patch unlocks the graphics options, which helps to reduce the number of instances with bad FPS counts (the only instances that remain are during some instant-kill boss attacks like Seath's Crystal Breath).
Atorias of the Abyss is some of the best content in the series, and some of hardest.

Spoiler:
Atorias may not be the final boss of his own DLC however he is a THE Dark Souls-boss, distilled to 100% purity. If he doesn't infuriate you and then leaves you with a feeling of exhilaration when you finally beat him, you are doing Dark Souls wrong.

Dark Souls 2 and Scholar of the First Sin are a different breed. vDS2 is mostly a purists choice as DS2-Scholar remixes some areas in NG, most noticeable Heide's Tower of Flame which serves as alternate first area to the Forest of Fallen Giants in vDS2.

But DS2-Scholar includes all DLC and a natural progressing into them (although the Crowns-areas are still some of hardest in the game, expect a huge spike once you use one of the shrines) and the namesake ties it closer to the series as a whole (ask me about that sometime after I beat the DS3's The Ringed City-DLC and I will do my best to lore-master :D )
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:40:29 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

If you have not already played the Atorias of the Abyss-DLC for Dark Souls on console, you should delve into DS1 as well. The community patch unlocks the graphics options, which helps to reduce the number of instances with bad FPS counts (the only instances that remain are during some instant-kill boss attacks like Seath's Crystal Breath).
Atorias of the Abyss is some of the best content in the series, and some of hardest.

Spoiler:
Atorias may not be the final boss of his own DLC however he is a THE Dark Souls-boss, distilled to 100% purity. If he doesn't infuriate you and then leaves you with a feeling of exhilaration when you finally beat him, you are doing Dark Souls wrong.

Dark Souls 2 and Scholar of the First Sin are a different breed. vDS2 is mostly a purists choice as DS2-Scholar remixes some areas in NG, most noticeable Heide's Tower of Flame which serves as alternate first area to the Forest of Fallen Giants in vDS2.

But DS2-Scholar includes all DLC and a natural progressing into them (although the Crowns-areas are still some of hardest in the game, expect a huge spike once you use one of the shrines) and the namesake ties it closer to the series as a whole (ask me about that sometime after I beat the DS3's The Ringed City-DLC and I will do my best to lore-master :D )

Uhm, I don't remember it being perticularly infuriating, yes it was difficult but the final boss of the dlc was worse if for nothing else because getting to it was particularly aggravating.

Also the goddamn Khalameet, I tried getting its tail but I eventually gave up.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

Spoiler:
Manus and Khalameet are endurance fights, they are only difficult because it takes so long to take either down; Manus because of his massive HP count, Khalameet because your attack windows are only when he lands near by.
In the end their fights come down to streching our Etus Flask out as far as you can, so the fight doesn't end. (Maybe I am a bit biased as 20 years of playing RPGs have hardened me against boss fights that last for houres)

The fight with Atorias has parcitically no cooldown time in between attack sequences. Even when he darts away from you he launches into another sequence of attacks almost immideately. Unless you brought a great weapon - with higher damage and reach - or a shield - because why try? - you have nearly no respite and little margin for error.
It is magnificent to behold, yet shows you just how bad your skills can be at their worst and how good you are when finally triumph.

BTW I didn't say he was the best boss ... that honour IMO goes to the NG+ and beyond Looking Glass Knight in Dark Souls 2, although now that boss can no longer be played as it is meant to be, simply because there won't be enough players to squire for the boss.
(If you didn't know, right before the bossroom there is a shrine where you can leave your PVP-mark invisible to other players. In NG+ and beyond the Looking Glass Knight will summon NPC squires only if there are no players who have left their mark, instead he will draw in those players who left their mark. While squires will be handicaped and Looking Glass Knight isn't particularly strong or fast, it is still fighting a boss and up two invaders at a time - the full Dark Souls-experience in one even playing field, esspecially if you go in with two assisting players which will increase the rate at which the boss does the summon :D )

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Dark Souls 3, from zero both DLCs ... got christen that new PC :D
(Set-up Dual Daggers + Darkmoon Longbow)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:30:00 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Wonder Boy 3 The Dragon's Trap for Master System on Mega Drive with adapter.
In the end the hades armour made the final dungeon and fight easy, I like the minimalist ending.
Really this game is simply ahead of its time, the tipical retrogaming bull**** is kept at a minimum (looking at you final part of Zelda 2), I with it would have been longer but in the end it's just right, it took me a week playing a couple of hours a day on average.
It's not even a costly game (I paid it less than twenty euros including postage), I'd imagine a similar game would have been one that would have demanded to sell a kidney on eBay like Golden Axe Warrior but I guess the fact that it was printed in enough numbers and that the yanks by and large ignore the Master System has helped greatly in keeping the prices down.

Re-started Shining in The Darkness on the Mega Drive
So, this time I'll keep the cartridge in on the off chance it were the contacts screwing up the battery saves last time.
I'm just trying to get to the kaiser crab as quickly as possible to get the rest of the party so I can grind them a bit and use the map and return spells.
Overall grinding is a bit less annoying here compared to Phantasy Star 2, probably because combat it's more hands-on (you had to press a button in PS2 to be able to give orders for the next turn otherwise it would play out like a cutscene)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I thought I could give Mirror's Edge a go and I find way more restrictive than I expected, to the point where it isn't very enjoyable. I very much preferred Dying Light.
I also started MoH:AA and it is surprisingly engaging. The Omaha mission, holy cow!
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Mpez

Installed Elite Dangerous: Arena in the morning. Spent the rest of the day trying to justify buying the full game at full price.

Damn you ED marketing!

I guess I'll play Frontier till the next steam sale...

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Installed Elite Dangerous: Arena in the morning. Spent the rest of the day trying to justify buying the full game at full price.

Damn you ED marketing!

I guess I'll play Frontier till the next steam sale...

Wait, didn't they stop selling Arena as a standalone a while ago?

I love Arena (played via the main game) when I can get a match, which is unfortunately not nearly often enough. Some timezones have better luck but the player pool is unfortunately very small.

Offline Mpez

Not sure. Got it for free months ago, but installed it just recently. The crazy part is that I actually haven't played the multi component, I just explored the two star systems that you can access while doing docking and hyperspace tutorials and I'm hooked :D

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Not sure. Got it for free months ago, but installed it just recently. The crazy part is that I actually haven't played the multi component, I just explored the two star systems that you can access while doing docking and hyperspace tutorials and I'm hooked :D

That's right, it does include the "normal game" tutorials (at least an older version of them). Good stuff!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They didn't include fsd stuff with those tutorials though did they?  Also,  I've still not managed to find an active arena yet :C
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mpez

They include the 'I wanna go fast within this system' option and hyperspace jumps. I'm pretty sure I won't find the combat super interesting, but I'd love to do some trading and exploring...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The CMDR deluxe package from the official site is the way to go.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne.  :shaking:

Offline 0rph3u5

Warhammer 40.000 - Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Finally making an attempt of beating the campaign ... I hate the imperial navy ships though, too slow to move, too slow to turn and no carriers/fighters worth a damn

(and that's before mentioning that even after all this time they didn't manage to patch out the AI's uncanny detection ability, so stealth remains worthless)

==================