Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613903 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What are you playing right now?
Yield to the delivery gods then.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Grim Dawn. Again.

It's quite a bit more interesting now with Ashes of Malmouth.

Playing through doing wife coop, I'm the necro and she's the inquisitor.  Just got to the blood grove.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
After 5ish years since first starting Steins;Gate I'm finally actually playing it. Easily one of the best VNs currently available and one of the inspirations for what I'm hoping to do a thesis/dissertation on eventually.

(Also thanks to grad school the YouTube stuff is slowing to a crawl, time and energy and the like)
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Actually i try to continue my Space-Sim and similiar games Playthrough channel and started the PSOne Underwater Action Game Critical Depth on Captain, the hardest, difficulty.

Whoa, that is a very tough cookie if you are not familiar with these games ... i am dying a countless times even in the second battle.  :eek:

That playthrough will take a while as it seems. Because i have to play through that with 12(?) different characters with their unique submarine.
But i hope i will find out proper strategies to survive and to win soon :)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Fallout 4 betrayed me, Jamaica Plains is a segfault zone. So I'm going back to DCS, learning the F-5E and relearning how plaen woerk

Doki Doki Literature Club

It's interesting and cute and good and free and you should probably play it unless you're a little kid.

Spoiler:
EXISTENTIAL TERROR AND GRAPHIC DEPRESSION

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, since October was incredibly slow at work I got around to play The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX and Metroid II: The Return of Samus on my old Gameboy Color
Both great games, I liked this Zelda better than the Oracle games.
It still a bit fatigueing towards the end but not to that extent, and I liked the surreal plot.
With Metroid II I fell in love, it's linear but since the game has no automap it's better this way, a nice little game that doesn't overstay its welcome.

I also got around to play both the new Wolfenstein games, The New Order and The Old Blood on PC
Boy are they good, even the thinner plot of TOB has some Tarantino moments (like the part about the dog) and it seemed to take a lot of cues from Ingloriosu Basterds.
I had to play them at 1280x720 (yes, now I have a fullHD screen) but TOB still stuttered every now and then, TNO was fluid enough not to bother me.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
on PC
So, I played this in a weekend and well, its good but I can see a lot of stuff that I found much more bothersome in World at War gameplay-wise.
I still can't tell if the game if the game is anti-war or just more subtly militaristic, it's no Medal of Honor reboot but after years of pop cultural osmosis about the Modern Warfare games it's difficult to tell my impressions from what I heard over the years about it.

After many months I finally finished Phantasy Star IV: The End of The Millenium on Sega Mega Drive
This is a weird series, this is the last game in the series yet it’s the only one that feels like a proper 16-bit RPG and for the little I know about the genre (mostly an aborted run of Fantasy Star IV for Gameboy Advance) it’s a bloody good one.
There is little grinding (mostly towards the end as the enemies start to scale up at a brisker pace), the “retreat” command works 9 times out of 10 instead 1 out of 10 like in the first three games, the graphics are colorful, there are actual dialogues and characters show… character, even though they are a bit generic.
Combat feels much better than in 2 and 3 (which was already a bit improvement over the awkward interface of 2), and the game in general seems committed to avoid wasting your time: I didn’t even use the option to create macros because giving menu commands during battles was lightning fast and the characters while there is no run button walk at a very brisk pace which can sometimes be problematic when trying to face a certain NPC you want to talk to.
Not ony that: the teleport spell now allows to choose the city where you want to go among those you already visited, which means that you can backtrack without having to endure random battles.
About the only time it got frustrating was one of the last bosses which was a bit difficult and was at the end of a rather long and tedious dungeon, though really while more complex than in 3 the dungeons aren’t frustratingly huge and complex like in 2 and I could navigate them without consulting a map easily enough.
I had to consult a map only towards the end, not for a dungeon but for the overworld because you gain a hydrofoil (though it acts more like a hovercraft) and I kept missing the islands I was supposed to go to for a couple of sidequests.
I’ve read that the game originally was supposed to be a Mega CD game that was later scrapped and reworked to fit on a high capacity cartridge, I wonder how much of the difference between this grand finale and the other two games on the Mega Drive was influenced by that.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Dwarf Fortress!

I went through a hiatus where I didn't play this for a while after my last fortress died from FPS. I decided to reclaim an abandoned fortress this time round to mix things up a little.

According to Legends Viewer, my medium world has 8 dorf civs, one of which has a population of just 4 dorves. So what happened here?

This Dwarven civilisation, Lantern of Lulls, had its first fortress destroyed by a Forgotten Beast rampage. Subsequent settlements were destroyed through an ongoing war with the local Goblin civ that had a super strong Gobbo as leader, until our population was whittled down to a mere 4 dorves.

I decided to do the unthinkable and reclaim our civ's first fortress, Bouldercrested, which up until now has been deserted for over a century.

The Forgotten Beast that destroyed this place had some relatively weak stats judging from the Legends Viewer so I figured my brave dorves stood a fighting chance. I knew it might still be hanging around as it was listed under "Other Populations".

Armed with bronze short swords and shields, my brave, stupid dorves embarked at Bouldercrested and set about the daunting task of exploration and containment.

The site has no trees. Fine. We can trade for wood or find some in the caverns. DFHack's prospect tool tells me there are no ores so I guess we'll trade for those too. What this place does have are mountains of cheap goods like clothes, furniture, food and drink, some copper weapons, wood crafts and two z-levels of smelters and bedrooms. There's a Tavern already at the top level so we have some human and dwarf visitors.

My initial military squad move through the abandoned fortress, uncovering the spacious smelters and bedroom levels and one central mine shaft with ramps spiraling around it. The smelter level has one large room filled wall to wall with gear, probably a stockpile, and choked through miasma. I decide to steer clear of that for now.

We hit the bottom and find 3 large rooms filled with magma smelters, which is great!

Since the fortress is basically a bunch of rooms across 4 z levels (top floor, 2 middle and magma smelters at the bottom) connected via 1 central shaft, I reckon we've already uncovered everything.

The place is vast and there is no sign of the Forgotten Beast. Of course it might have come up from the magma sea which would suggest a beast much stronger than my poor dorves can handle.

Next step - digging out caverns for wood.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Now you're making me want to read Boatmurdered again.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Strike Commander (PC)
So, it seems I am really rubbish at vaguely realistic flight simulators based on real aircraft (the F-16 in this case).
It doesn't help that I'm rubbish at aiming the vulcan cannon and you cannot afford to waste missiles because being a mercenary you need to pay for them.
I'll probably have to turn on infinite ammo too in the options, even with as much helping options activated and realistic options disabled this is no Ace Combat.   :blah:
Also the targeting is weird, apart from the game crashing one time out of four whenever I try to switch targets, most of the times it doesn't switch them which is frustrating when I manage to down an enemy and it takes AGES to fall down and explode.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Strike Commander (PC)
So, it seems I am really rubbish at vaguely realistic flight simulators based on real aircraft (the F-16 in this case).
It doesn't help that I'm rubbish at aiming the vulcan cannon and you cannot afford to waste missiles because being a mercenary you need to pay for them.
I'll probably have to turn on infinite ammo too in the options, even with as much helping options activated and realistic options disabled this is no Ace Combat.   :blah:
Also the targeting is weird, apart from the game crashing one time out of four whenever I try to switch targets, most of the times it doesn't switch them which is frustrating when I manage to down an enemy and it takes AGES to fall down and explode.

Flight sims are pretty tricky, but a good trick to remember in Strike Commander (IIRC) is that the enemy doesn't really get vertical maneuvers, though it's still a bit tricky if your gunnery's not too great. I figure give it a few gos in the training missions, and give The Art of the Kill a view on Youtube. Also, get the player-made patch to fix enemies spamming out flares (https://www.gog.com/forum/strike_commander/missile_gullibility)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Strike Commander (PC)

Flight sims are pretty tricky, but a good trick to remember in Strike Commander (IIRC) is that the enemy doesn't really get vertical maneuvers, though it's still a bit tricky if your gunnery's not too great. I figure give it a few gos in the training missions, and give The Art of the Kill a view on Youtube. Also, get the player-made patch to fix enemies spamming out flares (https://www.gog.com/forum/strike_commander/missile_gullibility)

I already did apply the fix (a few months ago in fact, I just didn't have time to play until recently).
My gunnery is piss poor so I usually leave the infinte ammo on for the Vulcan.
But at the moment Strike Commander is on hold because it locks up whether I try to switch targets lately, I made it to the Alaska missions but when you have at least four aerial targets for each encounter not being able to switch without the fear of freezing the game is too much.

Meanwhile I finshed Metroid Zero Mission for Gameboy Advance on a Gamecube with Game Boy Player during a weekend.
I liked the lack of linearity but some moves seem to be a bit more difficult compared to Fusion, still it was really engrossing to the point I basically played it for the whole Sunday.

At the moment I started Soleil (AKA Crusader of Centy AKA Ragnacenty) for Sega Mega Drive.
This one is the last cartridge game I ever bought for the system before getting an everdrive (toghether with Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap and Golvellius for the Master System), it's very much a Zelda-like but there are a few interesting things with the environment.
The plot also gives you a weird twist right at the start, with you
Spoiler:
losing the ability to speak to human beings but aquiring the language of animals.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:25:20 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Getting back into Kerbal Space Program after playing it a ton in Alpha and then drifting away. Still fun!

I also finally managed to finish playing through Baldur's Gate I and II. Well, almost... I got to the very last fight of Throne of Bhaal and lost all motivation. The combat's gradually gotten less and less fun and this last battle is truly ridiculous. And it entirely lacks the emotional punch of the regular BG2 campaign ending. Not sure if I'll get around to properly finishing it.

I'm a few weeks into a new Morrowind playthrough, and things are getting a bit cheesy.  Like item-with-permanent-levitation-enchantment cheesy.  It remains to be seen if I will continue to become more abusive of the game's systems.

Ahh, the ever-abusable Morrowind. I love that game, but seriously the number of ways you can cheese your way through the game is just staggering :P

Abusing Fort Int potions is a tried and true way of making a mockery of the game and its data structures. Ayep.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I will forever cherish the story of the player who brewed a Fortify Strength potion so strong that Dagoth Ur died in a single strike (shattering the full-health sword in the process), without even needing to use the Tools on the Heart.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I will forever hate the day I drank a potion that boosted my walk speed. Smashing into every mountain/hill hurts and glitching into things is annoying.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I will forever cherish the story of the player who brewed a Fortify Strength potion so strong that Dagoth Ur died in a single strike (shattering the full-health sword in the process), without even needing to use the Tools on the Heart.

Well, technically Dagoth Ur comes back if you don't IIRC.

Actually I think the story goes, the potion was so strong that it killed the game process!