Author Topic: UEF Combat Tech Tree Ideas  (Read 2755 times)

UEF Combat Tech Tree Ideas
Majorvader111 has pretty much given me carte-blanche to create new tech trees for this mod, and so, in the interest of giving this forum a purpose, I am asking people for advice on weapons technologies for the UEF.  If you've played WiH, you'll know what sort of technologies the UEF uses for their warships, so please start throwing out ideas on how the UEF could improve their existing weapons systems in the context of a RTS game.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Cyborg17

• A-1 Supar
Re: UEF Combat Tech Tree Ideas
For those of us who haven't played sins, what would a typical tech tree in that game look like?

It is a pretty standard 4X tech tree where you just get a boost to the same stat over three/four upgrades.  I'd really like to break that formula though and throw techs in there that aren't quite so linear, such as Tech A increasing range and rate of fire for a certain weapon but Tech B reduces a bit of your fire rate for boosted damage (you'll still come out ahead in terms of DPS though).

Weapons are percentage-based and have four main stats: range, damage, rate of fire, and shield negation (this last one can be safely ignored since the only thing that could use shields is the Custos-X).  No accuracy boosts since weapons are 100% accurate in Sins.

Hull, shields, and antimatter (mana) all get percentage boosts to maximum values and passive regeneration, and shields can get their passive damage mitigation boosted as a flat value.

Armor gets flat boosts to armor points.

There's also the odd-man-out of mass reduction which gives you faster ships.

Of course we have the usual 4X economy boosts such as increased income, faster build speed, reduced costs for things, etc., so if you think there's any good economy techs that could be put in a military tree, go ahead and post them as well.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Veers

Haven't played Sins in ages, and I've got Rebellion sitting here so I should install it. But perhaps Safety's off as a special ability?, I know it is off topic. I just wanted to post it while I think of it. Disabling system safety's to push the ship beyond it's limits. (before hull breach).

Anyways...

I'm thinking of something similar along the lines to the block upgrades we have seen in WiH. At least word-fluff wise. Slight changes to accuracy, speed, damage and the like for both the ship(s) in question and for the weapons.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline majorvader111

• STRAYA... Home of Tincan and string internet
    • Twitter
Majorvader111 has pretty much given me carte-blanche to create new tech trees for this mod, and so, in the interest of giving this forum a purpose, I am asking people for advice on weapons technologies for the UEF.  If you've played WiH, you'll know what sort of technologies the UEF uses for their warships, so please start throwing out ideas on how the UEF could improve their existing weapons systems in the context of a RTS game.

speak up guys the mods counting on you
How the hell is Australia's digital economy supposed to expand when we will be stuck on Tin can and string for high speed internet and communications????????

You can upgrade specific ships, but that requires an ability slot and really can't be done for capitals, and we're full on some ships, so ideally global enhancements to a certain weapon class like Gauss, Mass, or UEF Turret would be best.

Ideas that are borderline technobabble would work really well, for this.  Assume the war between the UEF and the GTVA is dragging on for far longer than anyone thought it would and these guys are putting out mass upgrades with new and experimental tech to try and break the deadlock.

Offline Cyborg17

• A-1 Supar
All right, I'll give it a shot.  Let's say we're trying to provide an upgrade tree for torpedoes.

We have the casing, the warhead, propulsion, storage of the missile, and firing method.

From these we can probably upgrade the warhead and the firing method.

So let's say a basic tech tree of:

Apocalypse Torpedoes

Level 1 Magnetic Launch Tube
Increases the range of the torpedo by replacing its launching force, eliminated the need to use fuel during launch. Increases range by 30%.

Level 2 Armor Piercing Head
Increases torpedo damage by placing an armor piercing spear at the head of the torpedo.  Increases warhead yield by 10%

Level 3 Cadmium Alloy Casting
Strengthens the magnetic casing of the warhead and further compacts the contained antimatter into a smaller area, allowing more antimatter to be stored per torpedo. Increases warhead yield by 10%.

Numbers were pulled out from nowhere.

Those are actually pretty awesome, and the numbers aren't too far off, assuming multiple levels per research.  It is a damn shame though that due to engine restrictions torpedoes are handled via an ability, and those cannot be upgraded in the same way weapons can. :sigh:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Uh what, afaik Sins is perfectly able to do capship missiles, what's the matter ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Homeworld: Blue Planet     -     Help us help you     -     FSO Installer     -     BP extras portal     -     My legacy

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline majorvader111

• STRAYA... Home of Tincan and string internet
    • Twitter
Uh what, afaik Sins is perfectly able to do capship missiles, what's the matter ?

Well for the start sins has a 3 weapon limit on all ships,  plus missiles can only fire from a forward back, a side positions. So i have to make the missile an ability to overcome these issues and ability are very hard or impossible to modify with research.
How the hell is Australia's digital economy supposed to expand when we will be stuck on Tin can and string for high speed internet and communications????????

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Dude, sounds like Sins is even worse to work with than HW2 :/

Homeworld: Blue Planet     -     Help us help you     -     FSO Installer     -     BP extras portal     -     My legacy

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Not having modded HW2, I can't say anything about that.  But Sins does allow massive-scale fleet combat, which makes things extremely worthwhile once you get your ideas working since you can easily do a BP Massive Battle with minimal framerate issues compared to the base game.

Yes, Karunas in this mod will explode far more frequently than they should, but they can also be replaced far faster than they usually can. :p

I think the build time on a Solaris is 120 seconds, but we have to balance its overwhelming firepower with the fact you can't crash jump a ship out of the field of combat when things go bad.  If you overextend your Solaris, it will explode, so it does need to be somewhat replaceable.  Well, we could do crash jumps, but it wouldn't be a true crash jump with potentially catastrophic consequences, so we just won't do them.  Sins won't allow you to jump from a gravity well to another gravity well without moving to the edge (think Star Wars), leaving the only way we could do crash jumps would be as a tactical jump from one side of the gravity well to another, and tactical jumps inside a battlespace just don't happen in BP.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Give them pervasive econ oh wait combat tech.

Well just have your standard
Global Gauss/Mass Driver Damage (multiple levels)
    -> offshoot Gauss/MD Range (certain level required research for ArtyNaras)
Global Plasma Turret Damage (multiple levels)
Global Flak Damage (multiple levels)
Global Active armor, increase armor levels, or base HP (multiple levels)
    -> offshoot Self-Sealing armor, increase auto-repair rate, maybe gives Karunas and Custos etc a self-reparing ability
Probably some ECM/Beam Jamming tech, if at all possible (if not just reduce beam-type damage?)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:27:59 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Not having modded HW2, I can't say anything about that.  But Sins does allow massive-scale fleet combat, which makes things extremely worthwhile once you get your ideas working since you can easily do a BP Massive Battle with minimal framerate issues compared to the base game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xlwUTkUSBU :p

I sort of need names and tech descriptions, Droid.  I'd also like to avoid Sins's linear damage, damage, damage tech trees with our techs having more than one effect on the weapon in question, and the second one doesn't have to be positive as long as the tech is something still worth researching and not just as a prerequisite technology.

Offline Droid803

You mean more like

High-Charge Capacitors
Provides higher power to gauss/mass driver systems to improve range, but increased energy consumption and heat production require a slightly longer cooldown
+5/7.5/10% Gauss/Mass Driver Range
+1/2/5% Fire Wait

Improved Cryogenics (prereq High-Charge Capacitors)
Improves cooling of superconducting coils/rails in gauss/mass driver weapons to improve efficiency, improving range and damage
+12.5/15/20% Gauss/Mass Driver Range
+1/2/5% Damage

Antimatter Confinement Shells (prereq Improved Cryogenics)
Improves stability of antimatter shell containment under influence of high electric/magnetic fields
+33% Gauss/Mass Driver Range
+10% Damage
Unlocks Artillery-Refit ships
(´・ω・`)

Exactly!  Thank you very much, Droid803.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It has been a while since I played SinOfASolEm so I don't know if it's possible or not, but can you give ships different firing modes? Ex. have a Karuna using only anti-fighter weapons (which gives it a boost against them, but makes it unable to attack larger craft.)

As for research:

- Enhanced Targeting Mode: +30% Range, +15% accuracy against fighters, -20% range & damage against cruisers, - 40% against Capitals.
- Regenerative armor: Pump sealants into hull breaches. + 8% Hull Regeneration for 8 Seconds. Deactivates all weapon systems.

Narayana   - Overloaded Mass Drivers: Increase firing speed by 20%, reduce effectiveness of all other systems by 15%
        only:       - Sabot Rounds: Unlocks Sabot Round Firing mode. While active; +30% Damage to Capital Ships, -40% Accuracy to Cruisers.

The numbers are obviously just examples.

Regenerative Armor could work as an ability, and maybe that Overload Mass Drivers ability could work with a little bit of screwery.  Sins already has systems in place to deal with power drain by abilities, so I'd rather have these abilities use reserve power instead of taking it from other systems.

Of course, I'm still working on researches, so we're not quite to ship abilities yet. :P

Offline Droid803

Hm, just thought of something that might be a highly relevant upgrade due to UEF ship's weapon configurations (well, the frigates at least, Solarises much less important). Pretty in flavour (ie. The Blade Itself) but hey I'm pretty sure at least the first part is doable because such an upgrade actually exists (IIRC it's a TEC upgrade? I don't remember). Basically the idea is to allow the frigates to POINT AT WHAT THEY SHOULD BE SHOOTING better. I presume the GTVA doesn't have this problem so much as Deimos/Diomedes don't really care, and the shock-jumpers will have some ability to help their shock-jumpiness.

Wide-Angle Gimbals
Improves gimbals on warship thrusters allowing for better thrust vectoring, improving turn speed.
+2.5/5/7.5% Ship Turn Speed

Compact Vernier Systems
Miniaturization of vernier systems allows the installation of additional manoeuvring thrusters, allowing for faster turn speed [as well as strafing]
+10/15/25% Ship Turn Speed
[Capital Ship Glide Enabled] <-not sure if possible
[Reverse Movement Enabled] <-not sure if possible
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:37:11 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)