Author Topic: Public diplomacy  (Read 13623 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
New Britannia and Sol Union have entered into an Alliance. (Turn 1s)
Duration: undefined/indefinite
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To all citizens of Terran space,

As of yesterday, Britannia and the United Guilds of Commerce have agreed to split control of Aldebaran.

The UGC has valid commercial interests in the system, which have been menaced by pirates in recent months. Our three fleets will secure the Aldebaran Nebula Refinery; once that is done, we will cooperate in rooting out the pirate strongholds in the nebula. The SF and DD fleets are invited to join our joint anti-pirate operation.

Rest assured, this is not an act of aggression against either our honoured allies the Sol Union, or against the Delest Dynasty. It is meant to secure our borders with the UGC through a common commercial interest, plus let Britannian and UGC corporations harvest the rich resources of the nebula.

Yours in Honour and Nobility,
Britannian Foreign Minster Lepanto

Spoiler:
The whole pirates thing is just fluff I made up.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Fellow Terran Citizens,

The UGC Ministry would like to confirm and affirm our participation in the joint effort with the CRF. It is time we eliminated the rampant piracy and lawlessness that has plagued the Aldebaran System. We will cooperate with Britannia in the setup of a preliminary management structure for the Aldebaran nebula so its resources may extracted and better profit all of the Terran People.

Praise Profit,
Droid803
Minister, UGC
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To Premier Kalazonitov of the Delest Dynasty,

Over the past few weeks, we have each respected the TRUCE between our two nations. Despite historical distrust and hostility, we have proven we can respect each other's territory, holdings, and rights.

Rather than let our truce expire and slip back into COLD WAR, I propose that we sign a permanent NON-AGGRESSION PACT. Such a treaty would further detente, open up commercial opportunities between our respective nations, show our mutual trust, and further the cause of international peace.

If there are any outstanding issues between our two nations, please cite them so we can resolve them promptly.

Britannian Foreign Secretary Lepanto
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer

To the Right Honourable Brittanian FM Lepanto,

Your eagerness to secure long-lasting peace between our two nations does you credit. However, your hastiness to secure concessions from the Dynasty does not.

The terms of our truce were to wait until [start of Intrigue 3] to begin negotiations for a non-aggression pact. This would allow both parties to determine each others' intentions and observe any diplomatic and military developments.

You are asking us to commit to a non-aggression pact, before the agreed point in time where such negotiations would take place, and on the eve of your alleged anti-piracy campaign, one starlance away from our Ihefulian capital. The mere suggestion is a violation of our truce treaty terms, which we are, however, willing to overlook given the clear ethical concerns in your suggestion. For future reference, however, we respectfully remind the Right Honourable Brittanian FM and her Royal Majesty the Queen, that treaties (including truces) are written and formalised so that not only their spirit but also their letter is observed.

In summation, we remain unconvinced until the time we'd agreed we'd be convinced, one way or another. Patience is a virtue, learn to practice it.

-Fleet Adm. Kalazonitov (Rtd.)
DD Premier

Addendum: Music can soothe the savage beast, but we would very much appreciate it if you could stop clogging our subspace bandwith with enthusiastic renditions of your national anthem, 'Rule Brittania' and 'Hearts of Oak'. Not to mention it's not helping your case, since our Yonsakuren troops are used to go into battle trances when they hear it.
-Commander T. Skivlana, DD Foreign Vice Minister

Spoiler:
That's the DD being snippy, not Enioch. Feel free to continue annoying them
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To Premier Kalazonitov and Commander Skivlana of the Delest Dynasty,

Apologies for any offense; we will hold to the prescribed truce schedule.

If your troops go into battle trance at the sound of our national anthem, that must be a dreadful inconvenience for them; after all, since our two nations are not at war, they are seeing no combat against Britannian troops. For the time being, we have replaced our traditional diplomatic broadcasts of our National Anthem with a classic early-21st-century song famed for promoting international harmony. Hopefully, this tune will be less offensive to your troops, and convey Britannia's sincere spirit of international cooperation. Please inform us which song is more to your convenience.

---------------------------------

To All Citizens of Terran Space,

Her Majesty has declared that thenceforth:

If any Power's sovereign territory comes under unprovoked foreign assault, Britannia will lend them military and economic aid, up to and including lending CRF fleets to a defensive war.

(Britannia will only dispatch aid if aid is requested from the defending Power. Due to longstanding questions of sovereignty, Aldebaran does not fall under this edict.)

Lest anyone accuse us of having some hidden selfish motive behind a veil of self-righteousness, know that Britannia will take no compensation for any such defensive action, unless it be freely volunteered. We fight for honor and sovereignty, not gain of any kind. Also, maintaining the balance of power helps secure Britannian national interests.

P.S. Her Majesty formally and sincerely apologizes for her Flipper comments yesterday. After the Cabinet had an extended discussion with her on the benefits of social media tact, she agreed that perhaps "ABOUT TIME WE GET IN A GOOD SCRAP LEPANTO YOU LOUSY HIPPIE" was a suboptimal choice of words to express her nuanced feelings on Britannian astropolitical relations.

Offline Enioch

To the Right Honourable Foreign Minister Lepanto,

Please accept my apologies for my Vice-Minister's statements. They were abrasive to a non-approved degree. Internal disciplinary action has been taken and she has been transferred to a position more suited to her capabilities.

As regards your response, we assure you that no offense was taken. What is a mere suggestion of trampling the traditions of diplomacy between friendly nations?

We are very pleased to note the new developments in CRF foreign policy. Also, please convey our compliments to her Royal Majesty and assure her that her opinion and

stance on interstellar politics

is shared by her friends in the DD, and Her Imperial Majesty, Yu Ki Kohakuren Delest, who follows her Royal Majesty's statements with great interest.

Best regards,
DD Premier

Addendum:
On another note, we would be very interested in purchasing the rights to the song you forwarded, as it has proven to be very well accepted among our Yonsakuren, as a morale-builder. There are certain side-effects, including a tendency to spend inordinate amounts of time with 1:100 scale models of genetically-modified equines and a disturbing tendency to refer to Her Imperial Majesty as 'Moonbutt' and themselves as 'Soldiers of the New Lunar Republic' but our biologists believe all of the above can be ironed out with minimal fuss.

-Commander T. Skivlana, DD Foreign Minister

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Dear citizens of the galaxy.

It is my sad duty to announce war with the between the Sol Union and the UGC.

After discussion between The President, The Department of Intelligence and Myself we see no evidence of significant piracy in the Independent system of Aldebaran.  Combined with the scale of force deployed by the UGC this is clear to us a resource grab by the UGC in an attempt to gain an economic advantage.

The Sol Union cannot allow itself to to fall behind in resources and left potentially vulnerable.  As such the Sol Union fleet is moving to remedy the situation as I speak with full freedom to act in regards to the UGC.

My thoughts are with those who will be affected by this action

Regards
Headdie
Minister of Interstellar Affairs
Sol Union
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To Minister Headdie of the Sol Union,

Your unprovoked invasion of the United Guilds of Commerce has shocked the civilized world. Allies or not, none of us can stand idly by while you turn your guns on your neighbors. Rather than discuss your grievances with the UGC via bilateral or multilateral diplomacy, you have broken your non-aggression pacts and returned to the ways of crude brute force.

We of the United Guilds of Commerce, Delest Dynasty, and New Britannia have formed a united front against this aggression. We have all agreed on the following stipulations, drafted by Delest Premier Kalazonitov:

The three nations (UGC, DD, CRF, henceforth referred to as the 'Alliance') will, as suggested by the CRF, present a joint ultimatum to the SU. They will need to withdraw to their own territory without firing on UGC forces, or face our combined fleets.

If they fail to do so, the Alliance will declare war on the SU. By extension, all truces, non-aggression treaties and alliances involving an Alliance member and the SU will become null and void.

In the above circumstances, the war will be pursued until the SU provides us with war reparations to the satisfaction of the Alliance members; the UGC, as the attacked party, will be the primary judge on this matter but war reparations will have to be paid to all Alliance members that have suffered casualties during combat.

The income from Aldebaran will be divided, as suggested by the CRF and UGC, in three equal parts between the Alliance members.

The acceptance of the above terms by the DD is subject to the resolution of the Aldebaran standoff.(...)

Once the Delest and Britannia have settled our dispute over Aldebaran [by next Strategy Phase], consider these terms in effect.

We beg you, withdraw your declaration of war, and we can settle this matter without loss of life. If not, we will expel you from Fomalhaut with lethal force.

Make the right choice, for all our sakes.

Yours in Honor and Resolve,

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Dear Citizens of the galaxy

I have to express my shock at recent developments.  Until the moment of Foreign Secretary Lepanto's announcement we were in regular and productive dialogue with both the Dynasty and the Commonwealth to the point of sharing strategic information with the Dynasty and yet between our commitment to action against the UGC and the announcement of this sham alliance there was only vague expressions of concern from either party.

Indeed I feel compelled to point out that while the Sol Union is with regret breaking a Non aggression agreement, the Commonwealth has in this action communicated is blatant disregard for a carefully negotiated and publicised treaty of mutual protection with the Sol Union in favour of their latest fancy.  As such I strongly suggest both the United Guilds and the Dynasty to guard their borders with the Commonwealth with care because while the Name of the myself and the Sol Union has been disgraced in their actions, so have the names of the Britannic Commonwealth and Foreign Secretary Lepanto.

In light of this the Sol Union is in the process of discussing it's options.

Thank you for your time
Regards to all
Headdie
Minister of Interstellar Affairs
Sol Union
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To Minister Headdie of the Sol Union,

Your fleets have not engaged the 2nd UGCR. Is this a signal that you are open to a diplomatic solution to the UGC war?

Her Majesty's government is certainly willing to serve as a mediator in multilateral peace talks. I cannot speak for my colleagues in the DD and UGC, though I trust they too would prefer diplomacy to war. If you have any legitimate grievances with the UGC, please air them before your neighbors, through peaceful channels.

We have never wished to fight you, our allies. We will desist from our previous threats, so long as you are willing to negotiate in good faith.

-----------------------------

To Minister Droid803 of the United Guilds of Commerce,

As your friends and economic partners, we implore you to be open to a peace settlement. Though the SF has violated your territory, they have not done you any more great damage so far. Hopefully, given their gesture of restraint, we can convince them to depart your territory.

Still, if negotiations fall through, you may call on our promise of economic and military aid.

-----------------------------

P.S. We of His Majesty's Government respect Admiral Orpheus's right to free speech as a noble and as a private citizen. We also acknowledge that the SF's restraint may have proved his arguments for neutral mediation vis-a-vis immediate use of force. Still, while Britannia will always profess our core moral values, our government disavows any of the more inflammatory portions of his rhetoric. In diplomacy, we will treat all nations equally, whether or not our social values align. It is specifically because of our principles that we we will protect any nation unjustly invaded, though we will certainly do so through diplomatic channels if possible.

Yours in Honor and Equanimity,

Offline Enioch

To al concerned:

I cannot speak for my colleagues in the DD and UGC, though I trust they too would prefer diplomacy to war.

In this case, you do speak for us. The DD has never considered war to be the first option, as is evidenced by the stipulations we drafted.

To Minister Droid803 of the United Guilds of Commerce,

[...]Hopefully, given their gesture of restraint, we can convince them to depart your territory. Still, if negotiations fall through, you may call on our promise of economic and military aid.

I will agree with our CRF colleague (o tempora, o mores!). You are aware of what you may ask from us - if necessary, do not hesitate to do so.

We of His Majesty's Government respect Admiral Orpheus's right to free speech as a noble and as a private citizen. [...] Still, while Britannia will always profess our core moral values, our government disavows any of the more inflammatory portions of his rhetoric.

Do you respect Admiral Orpheus' right to free speech as an officer of your armed forces, and as the ranking CRF authority in Aldebaran?

Do you respect the right of the DD to be offended by Admiral Orpheus' less-than-wisely-chosen words?

Not that we are, mind you (offended). But it's worth noting that only iron adherence to operational guidelines and a set of misprioritised orders saved Admiral Orpheus' fleet from being hit with hypervelocity KEWs during the recent Aldebaran...encounter. You are aware, I believe, of the stipulations we had set and you are also aware of the fact that Admiral Orpheus chose a very...interesting fashion to disregard them?

Best regards,
DD Premier

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To all citizens of Terran space, especially my three fellow Foreign Ministers,

As you may have heard, the Conservative Party now controls both houses of Parliament after last week's snap election. Regrettably, the Britannian people have lost faith in our Christian Labour government's ability to protect Britannian national interests. Admiral Orpheus's rabble-rousing is partially to blame. The Conservative PM is forming a new government; my successor will be Duchess Cornelia Windham of the Lords Temporal.

Hence, this speech is my last act as Foreign Secretary.

Know this: Our Government's peace overtures were entirely sincere. We of Britannia had our ambitions, as do all governments. But we never sought to achieve them at the point of a plasma cannon. I implore the Conservative Government, and my foreign colleagues, not to forget: "He that taketh the sword, shall perish by the sword."

Farewell, and may God bless you all.

Yours in Honor and Nobility,
Foreign Secretary Lepanto

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
As a Supreme commander of 1st SolForce fleet, I hereby declare the following:

My nation will not stand idly while foreign powers seize opportunities with their thick webs of diplomacy and lies. They think that they can hamper the advancement of their very homeworld! The cradle of humanity will not allow itself to be dwarfed by foreign Ministries.

All that hold their roots dear, will lay down their arms, and join the supreme force in the galaxy. Human kind standed divided too long. We shall unite Human space either by peace, or either by the sword.

I, commander of the 1st SF, will continue its assault on UGC space. I, even if by myself, will cut through the thick web of lies others want to catch us in.

Taking this opportunity in mind - I call out, men and women alike, to join arms with the only true power in the galaxy - Earth.

On the other note. I am really disappointed in our DD colleagues stance. I have held them dear in my regard, I believed that they will stand by our side as we unify the galaxy. But they chosen join hands with spiders who weave this thick web. Very well.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
While Admiral TheHound's declaration is made without consultation or authorisation of the Sol Union government, the Sol Force 1st fleet remains under the umbrella of support of their native government and will be maintained with provisions as they require to maintain an operational status.

I will also publicly iterate that any force acting in the direct aid of the Sol Union is free to request use of Sol Union facilities where resources permit

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To Britannia and foreign nations,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Secretary Lepanto's replacement, Duchess Cornelia Windham. As long as I serve at Parliament's pleasure, I will protect Britannia's national interests.

As before, we will give succour to loyal friends of our Sceptre'd Worlds. Britannia is still open to discussion with all those who would treat her with dignity. Consider all treaties and arrangements still in effect, unless stated otherwise.

Still, I issue a warning to foreign powers. My predecessor was too idealistic for his own good; this Government will not tolerate your prodding and trespasses so lightly. We shall meet joust with joust, force with force.

---------------------------

In that respect, we issue a long-overdue demand to Kalazonitov of the Delest Dynasty.

1st DD is trespassing in CRF-UGC property. Though you had privately agreed with my predecessor that you would not disrupt the Britannian-UGC bid to take control of the Nebula Refinery, you went back on your word and engaged our fleet in a meaningless stand-off. You nearly destroyed 3CRF for the horrid crime of briefly approaching your fleet at a distance, demanding our complete trust in your intentions and showing no trust of your own. Barbaric.

Not to mention, between Headdie's announcement and your attempt to move fleets into Harcon, we have every reason to believe that you are cooperating with the Sol Union's unjust war on the UGC.

Henceforth, Her Majesty demands:

1st DD surrenders itself to our custody.
The DD forfeits all claim over Aldebaran in perpetuity, and never moves her fleets through Aldebaran without joint Britannian-UGC consent.

If this just demand is not met, we will evict the 1st DD with force.

No longer will we treat you as equals, vat-grown abominations. No longer will we waste our words of peace on you, not while you and your allies press against civilized nations at every turn. Surrender your swords, or the CRF will take them from your lifeless hands.

In Her Majesty's Name,
Duchess Cornelia Windham, Foreign Secretary

P.S. Kalazonitov, I am sure you are already composing your 'witty' response, ready to skewer Britannia with your old accusations of self-righteous hypocrisy. Accusations which the Delest Dynasty need never fear, as you have no moral values which you can hypocritically betray.

Mark my word: whether today or tomorrow, we will unseat your corrupt 'Empress', and tear down her oppressive regime root and branch. When Britannian troops march into her Palace, and free her 'citizens' whom her dynasty keeps genetically enslaved, we shall not execute her. No, the hangman would be too good for your oligarchy. Rather, we shall reduce all of you to common citizens, forever to lament your lost empire. Would not that sight be too horrible to bear, Kalazonitov?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Engaging Inter-Fleet Communication Protocols
Sender: 1st DD flagship I.D.S. Aurora
Recipient: Duchess Cornelia Windhelm
CC: Any and all interested parties within transmission range

Duchess Cornelia Windham,

As commanding officer of the 1st DD fleet, I politely suggest that if Britannia wants to evict us from Aldebaran, they shouldn't deploy jump inhibitor fields to prevent us from leaving. In addition, it takes a lot of gall to talk about broken trust when you simultaneously go back on your predecessor's agreement to split the income from the refinery three ways and somehow interpret our attempt to force the Sol Union back onto defensive as somehow cooperating with them.

Respectfully, Duchess Windham, you should make up your mind about what you actually want before you start issuing insulting and contradictory demands.

-Ter-Judicator Jason Ralwood, CO 1st Fleet

Terminating Inter-Fleet Communication Protocols
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Enioch

Greetings to all concerned parties.

I would like to take this opportunity to state that Ter-Judicator Ralwood's message is very much in line with the DD government's stance, at this point in time. I would also like to take up a moment of your time, for some of my own observations:

It is delightful to see that the musings of an old man are of sufficient interest to the illustrious Foreign Secrtary of the CRF, that she considers it a worthy passtime to attempt to predict what he may say - or place words in his mouth.

It is also refreshing to see a minister of a self-proclaimed civilised nation ( a minister with a diplomatic portfolio, I may add) wax lyrical about the internal workings of another sovereign nation and proclaim to the universe that more than twelve billion souls are nothing more than animals and 'vat-grown abominations', supposedly for her and her armies to exterminate at will.

But I fear that I am truly becoming predictable in my old age, so I will interpret the illustrius Brittanian Foreign Minister's observations as advice (even though I doubt this is how she meant them) and dispense with witticisms, irony and frivolities.

How shall we put this, in a non-ironic way, I wonder? Ah yes:

Neither the DD government nor the DD military are intimidated by the tantrums people throw our way, especially when they betray a certain distancing from reality. You cannot meaningfully hurt us. While the CRF has been busy (clumsily) pursuing its imperialistic goals, the DD has been consolidating and prioritising the safety and well-being of its people over short-sighted land grabs and backstabbing Machiavellian schemes. Not if you brought the entire might of this chaotic, over-paid, over-staffed black hole you call a navy on our heads would you be able to hurt us, our way of life, or our treasured citizens.

So, grow up, have a good look at what's been going on around you and wake up to reality. You do not dictate terms to us or our allies. You do not insult us. And, on a personal note, you spoiled, glory-hounding, rascist, delusional limey-сука, feel free to rage at me as much as you like (if it makes you feel better) but you do not abuse my Judicators, my Ministers or -God help you- my Empress. What you should do, if you know what's good for you, is address a public apology to the people you so readily demoted to sub-human level, hand in your resignation, and go hide in some dark corner of your nation with the rest of the creepy, crawly, disgusting things. I also suggest you tell Her Royal Majesty, the Queen, to give your job back to that dandy, Lepanto - he plotted more than is healthy for a man of his age, but at least he had manners, half a brain and good taste in music.

I have tried to keep the above near a literary level that I presume is suitable for you, but if a simplified summation is necessary, I am happy to oblige:

Sit. Down. Shut up. Get an adult on the phone.

-Kalazonitov

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Fellow Ministers and Admiralty,

Please, why can't we all be friends? ;w;

Droid803
Minister, UGC
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To Minister Droid803,

While Britannia would prefer that all nations "get along", Sol's unprovoked invasion of your own territory has shown that is impossible. When words fail, swords are our only recourse.

--------------------------------------

To Delest Admiral Ralwood,

Your nation has made an art of prickly, suspicious diplomacy. So I hope you understand our suspicions when a fleet "putting pressure" on the Sol Union arrives in their systems under a flag of peace. Not to mention SU Minister Headdie's recent statement that any forces aiding the SU are free to use his support infrastructure. That message certainly was not directed towards the UGC, and we sincerely doubt it was directed toward us. Hence, we must suspect that Kalazonitov, contrary to his rhetoric (a true surprise indeed), has lent his forces to the Sol Union's invasion. We would applaud it if the Delest Dynasty actually did something useful on the international stage, but that would require actually trusting an officer of the Kohakuren regime. And as your own actions have signaled, fool me once...

Also, for a man whose Head of Government calls others children, you show a lack of basic reading comprehension. We had not requested that your fleet withdraw from Aldebaran, to continue your nation's questionable foreign policy another day. No, we requested that you unconditionally and immediately surrender. This offer is still open, even if we both know you would rather die fighting than give up your foothold in UGC-CRF territory.

To Kalazonitov (and the entire Kohakuren dynasty),

We could volley insults, and dispute who did what over Aldebaran, until we are all blue in the face. Now, I enjoy verbal jousting with an old oligarch whose skill at snarky insults might briefly convince an uninformed bystander that his own nation might potentially hold the moral high ground.

But Britannia has had enough of leaders who only communicate with words. My predecessor, for all his naivete and admittedly-elaborate diplomacy, honestly believed that Britannia and the Delest could co-exist. He repeatedly reached out to you with the hand of peace, only for you to slap it aside with your usual prickly condescension. This new Government is not so blind. No, let us settle this long-time quarrel with swift and valiant action.

First, let me make this clear: this is not truly about Aldebaran. Aldebaran merely provided the occasion. Britannia would not send her soldiers to die for lucre, even when others trespass on our shared rights.

No, this is about the very existence of the Delest Dynasty and the Kohakuren regime. While we believe the Dynasty's manufacturing of human beings to violate natural law and liberty, and the Dynasty's oligarchs may take joy in twisting our words, HM's Government certainly does not advocate genocide of the average Delest citizen. Rather, we wish to liberate them from the feeble grip of said ruling oligarchs. Being the only people in your entire nation who enjoy any natural human liberty, it is no surprise you are blind to the plight of your own citizenry. Call our crusade self-righteous, if that is the only way you can stay asleep at night. But when the average Delest citizen breathes free for the first time in their life; when your regime belatedly joins fascism, communism, and the UEU on the ash heap of history; that is when our words shall be proved true.

Now, our Queen and Government are fully aware that this action will cost us much blood and treasure before our inevitable triumph. But better we pay a one-time price in our long-overdue crusade for liberty and decency, than let this bizarre parody of a government exist one decade longer.

Hence, Parliament has ratified, and Her Majesty has signed, a declaration of WAR against the Delest Dynasty. This war will only end on the unconditional surrender of the Kohakuren regime.

To the officers and crew of the CRF:

May our cause remain just, our lances sharp, and our spirit unflagging. We now entrust our victory to the brave Admirals and crew of the Commonwealth Royal Fleet. HM's Government places on you a heavy charge, but our hopes and aid go with you.

In Her Majesty's Name,
Duchess Cornelia Windham, Foreign Secretary