Author Topic: take off/landing?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
there will be implemented in game or not? and there will be the chance to enter inside the ships before ending the mission? (just like the lee's landing in 1x00 episode)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
there will be implemented in game or not? and there will be the chance to enter inside the ships before ending the mission? (just like the lee's landing in 1x00 episode)

This was already discussed, I believe the team said it was being worked on, so it might be included in one of the releases (and by that it means that I don't know if it will be available in R1).
el hombre vicio...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
there are new lines of code in there, that indicate that there's progress on landings.

And by "enter inside of ships..." you mean the elevator where Apollo is landing on which leads from the Hangar surface to the underlying Hangar deck?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
1. There will definitely be tube-launches, at least for the player. Making them work for the AI without lots of manual FREDding is on our agenda, but probably won't be in R1.

2. There will certainly be some form of "combat landing" present in the game. How sophisticated it is, and to what extent the AI can do it, remains to be seen. We aren't committing to any of this for R1 either.

That said, I am currently working on both problems. :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
1. There will definitely be tube-launches, at least for the player. Making them work for the AI without lots of manual FREDding is on our agenda, but probably won't be in R1.

2. There will certainly be some form of "combat landing" present in the game. How sophisticated it is, and to what extent the AI can do it, remains to be seen. We aren't committing to any of this for R1 either.

That said, I am currently working on both problems. :)

1. YAY! Quick, we need a coder who can fix the PP and add motionblur.  :D
2. YAY! That's what call good news. Keep up the good work folks!

Offline newman

Just to make things really clear, you will be able to launch from the tubes and land inside the pod in r1. The landing just won't be fancy combat landing as seen in the show, that'll take a little more work and likely won't be in r1.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
yes guys,i mean the elevator where apollo lands in first episode ;
i think should be wonderful use some landing operation, it gives a more realistic feel to the player  :nod:
and IIRC rhe raptor too take off from the same elevators, so i think they are enough important  :yes:
@angelus:
YES!!!  PP forever!
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Elevators as seen in the show are impossible (or rather, horribly complicated to set up) right now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
ok thanks E. just one more question it will be some landing/take off procedure to actuate a la fsx? (flight sim.x)  :p
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:00:51 pm by torc »

Offline newman

ok thanks E. just one more question it will be some landing/take off procedure to actuate a la fsx?

I'm sorry, you'll have to try and say this another way, I have no idea what that means. As for the elevators, E pretty much nailed it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
ok you know i am italian  :sigh: ... i just want to know if you're simply launched outside the launch tube at the begin of a mission or you can take some time and choose when take off: and for the landing will be dialogue that tells you what hangar you have to go and if you can choose when land or just like btrl the game mission is simply ''cut''to debriefing.
hope this time is better  :p thanks you're so  kind

Offline newman

Oh ok now I get it. When we hit a language barrier I'll just say I don't understand and you'll say it differently, problem solved :P
About takeoffs: in regular FS2 you can sometimes choose weapons loadout and even what ship to fly during/post briefing. Since that game mechanic was already in the original game there's no reason not to have it in Diaspora. Having said that the plot will require you to pilot certain craft types in missions so you won't be able to choose which craft to fly before takeoff - that's in R1. Doesn't mean you won't be able to pick fighters in later releases but when the plot calls for a raptor or the strike version of a viper (VIIE) then you have to use that ship. You should be able to modify your missile loadout after the briefing in most missions though.
As for the landings - depends on the plot, really. If the plot calls for it then a more elaborate landing sequence where the LSO guides you to a specific flight pod and tells you to call the ball can be scripted. Thing is, most of the time, the plot doesn't call for it. I can't go into more detail without revealing spoilers for R1 so you'll just have to wait and see for that. Do keep in mind that this is a space shooter more akin to the classic games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or FS/FS2, then a real simulator like MS Flight Simulator. So you'll never have quite as realistic landings like in a real flight simulator but we will be doing our best to maintain the feel of the show as much as possible. Hope that answers your questions.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Elevators as seen in the show are impossible (or rather, horribly complicated to set up) right now.

Axem's done straight motion in the engine before...I think.

Or at least claimed he could.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Axem's done straight motion in the engine before...I think.

Or at least claimed he could.

You can do it, but it qualifies as 'horribly complicated to set up'.

We're working with a few of Steve-O's models that use translational motion and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

We're working with a few of Steve-O's models that use translational motion and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Rotation with a midpoint set far enough away it appears straight? :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep, that's it exactly. Which is horribly confusing for poor old PCS2, as the rotation midpoints are treated as parts of the model, and thus cause the models' bounding box to become really, really huge.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Yep, and it causes horrifying death, like models shrinking into tiny pinpoints.  :shaking:

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
thanks for your answers battuta: this is what i want to know  :)

Offline Snagger

Yep, and it causes horrifying death, like models shrinking into tiny pinpoints.  :shaking:
Must be singularities used in the FTL systems...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Has the translational motion limitation been a function of needing someone to sit down and figure out the math to make it possible, or more along the lines of an "oh God the engine will choke and die if we try this" sort of thing?