Author Topic: So..Who's Modding/FREDding for Diaspora?  (Read 8212 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So..Who's Modding/FREDding for Diaspora?
You've had a week so far. Who's started making stuff? Tell us about it. Post some pictures if you have them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Re: So..Who's Modding/FREDding for Diaspora?
I have, but interestingly enough I've run into an interesting problem.  If I start with a blank template and create a new mission and try to load it into diaspora the screen goes black and the program crashes. 

If I start with a mission someone else has made, let's say the coop template available here, and then delete everything or make changes, save it loads into diaspora just fine.  I'm mostly relearning FRED at this point.  I've not messed with FRED in well over a decade.  I mean the first mission I created was a coop mission that is a tounge and cheek "If this were BSGO Scorpia server" that if you weren't a player during the closed/open beta days it wouldn't make sense. 

I'll be working on some more missions.  So far I've just been doing experiments.  I maybe able to get a Colonel Tigh voice over ;) 

One question I do have is how do I set and tell the AI that it is a capital ship and not a fighter?  (I can't remember if this was a setting in Fred or XvT/XwA ed back in the day)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If you're getting crashes, use the power of the log, luke.

I've been working on my more FS-ish HUD, should see a release soon.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Since playing this, I have the strange plan of learning how to model and well, build the nightmare for all modders out there...

I've just made the map that is explained into the Fred tutorial for Dispora.
Now i'm trying to make a map with a refugee fleet against "casual" encounters

Since playing this, I have the strange plan of learning how to model and well, build the nightmare for all modders out there...

I need to go dig up an old external harddrive.  At onetime I had every BSG lightwave and Max model I could find circa 2006/2007 converted for use with Blender3d.  But I think Blender has made a lot of changes since I last messed with the program.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Cool, but as I warned in the game documentation, make sure you have permission to distribute anything you make. This community has had problems with that sort of thing in the past, the worst of which was the disappearance of an entire Space : Above and Beyond mod when the models turned out to belong to someone else who hadn't given permission for their use.

I have, but interestingly enough I've run into an interesting problem.  If I start with a blank template and create a new mission and try to load it into diaspora the screen goes black and the program crashes.

There is a bug in the unpatched version of the game that causes crashes. This is fixed in patch 1.0.1 or 1.0.2. You can find the fix for any missions you made here

One question I do have is how do I set and tell the AI that it is a capital ship and not a fighter?  (I can't remember if this was a setting in Fred or XvT/XwA ed back in the day)

AI ships know what class they are automatically. Changing AI levels doesn't change that.

I maybe able to get a Colonel Tigh voice over ;)

Come again?

Offline Hlicat

I had a little mess about in the editor.

Pitting the Sobek against two basestars at first, with an additional 4 attacking after 2 minutes from all sides.

There were, I think 8 wings of Vipers (With a couple of waves launched from the Sobek if destroyed) plus two wings of raptors against 8 wings of cylon raiders + the two first basestars, with several waves set.

I fled to watch from a distance, as it was pretty easy to die. I found that most of my viper wings were wiped out, but the Sobek performed amazingly well. It was mostly an exercise to see how many basestars the Sobek could fight against.

It nearly destroyed 4 of the 6 basestars before suddenly, not sure what it was, but they found a blindspot or something. All the basestars launched missiles, hammering the Sobek into submission. It lasted a very long time before that happened though.

I'd like to add, I loved the campaign missions. Not to mention, it feels awesome to watch and fly around the Battlestar in combat, it just looks amazing.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Something you could expect to see or not in the next few days/weeks or months. It's still work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A22hHPWEvg

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I fled to watch from a distance, as it was pretty easy to die. I found that most of my viper wings were wiped out, but the Sobek performed amazingly well. It was mostly an exercise to see how many basestars the Sobek could fight against.

It nearly destroyed 4 of the 6 basestars before suddenly, not sure what it was, but they found a blindspot or something. All the basestars launched missiles, hammering the Sobek into submission. It lasted a very long time before that happened though.

That sounds about right.

When the Sobek has its defenses at 100%, it's extremely hard to get torpedoes through that wall. Once you take out some of the flak and CIWS, though, more of the torps get through, which in turn take out more defenses, letting more torps through...

Once you get through the initial defensive threshold, things spiral out of control for the Sobek very quickly. :)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:09:27 pm by Sushi »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I want a TOS Raider and Basestar mod. Make it for me :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Hlicat

That sounds about right.

When the Sobek has its defenses at 100%, it's extremely hard to get torpedoes through that wall. Once you take out some of the flak and CIWS, though, more of the torps get through, which in turn take out more defenses, letting more torps through...

Once you get through the initial defensive threshold, things spiral out of control for the Sobek very quickly. :)

That would explain it then, I guess once the Sobek's viper wings were out of action, the raiders pitched in too.

Offline crizza

Something you could expect to see or not in the next few days/weeks or months. It's still work in progress.

Woah, wait, I can actually use a XBox360 Controller for playing this o.O

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

Woah, wait, I can actually use a XBox360 Controller for playing this o.O

Sadly not all axis where detected. But you could fix it by installing third party software like Xpadder, ppJoy or JoyToKey.

Just getting started.  I did the walk through mission which was excellent!!  I'm really impressed with the level of effort put into the game and the supporting documentation to get started with FRED.  I did some FRED only missions a decade or so ago and had forgotten how fun it could be.   Looking forward to R2!!

Offline Dukayn

Yep getting started myself too.  The tutorial mission was pretty cool to make.  Very clear instructions and the mission that you make out of it is kinda fun too.

Trying a few different things for my own missions.  I like the idea of having a standard CAP go horribly wrong when one of the civilian ships in the fleet gets taken over by a Cylon on board and tries to ram another ship, but I have been having trouble with making the Events pan out properly.  It was pretty amusing watching a Prometheus freighter doing loops on the spot trying to do a facing change, however.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep getting started myself too.  The tutorial mission was pretty cool to make.  Very clear instructions and the mission that you make out of it is kinda fun too.

I'm glad you liked it. Writing that tutorial gave me quite a few problems because I could never make it to the standards I usually work to.
 It's a good tutorial mission, but part of me always kept making me want to make it to the standards of the other official Diaspora missions. Of course, I couldn't. It's meant to be a tutorial and therefore has to be easy to follow.

That's the main reason it's tucked away in the FREDdocs folder rather than in the main missions folder. I wanted anyone who decided to play "The 9th Official Diaspora Mission" to know that it wasn't meant to be of the same quality as the others. :)

When I was writing the guide I did a comparison for one of the beta testers comparing that mission, it's equivalent in FS2 and one of Diaspora's real missions.

Something sufficiently good for a Diaspora release has no place in a beginner tutorial. It would be horrifically hard for a beginning FREDder to attempt it.
 In Volition's day, there wasn't much difference between the FRED Tutorial mission and something in the release. Now, they're night and day. Sometimes I think we make it look a little too easy. :D

Mainly for my own amusement, I decided to compare both FRED training missions with something from the actual release. I deliberately didn't choose Axem's mission, cause I know he suffers from the same affliction I have, which causes him to also make overly complicated missions. :D

FS2 Training MissionDiaspora Training MissionDiaspora Mission 2
#Sexp_variables1125
#Command Briefing Stages020
#Briefing Stages545
#Debriefing Stages58 (And I suggested more in the ToDo list)8
#Objects453974
#Wings61015
#Events2640157
#Goals25 (with one of each type and an invalid one)5
#Waypoints537
#Messages10 (it claims 177 in the file!)8 (I'll admit I skimped there a little).65
#Reinforcements10 (I'd love to have them, but tube launches are very hard to do)0
#Background bitmaps40 (But I did use a skybox)3

Like I said, I mostly did that for my own amusement cause I wanted to see if my mission had less substance than the FS2 one but it's pretty clear it at least equals it.

As you can see, there's quite a difference there. :)

Trying a few different things for my own missions.  I like the idea of having a standard CAP go horribly wrong when one of the civilian ships in the fleet gets taken over by a Cylon on board and tries to ram another ship, but I have been having trouble with making the Events pan out properly.  It was pretty amusing watching a Prometheus freighter doing loops on the spot trying to do a facing change, however.

If you have any problems you can't beat easily, be sure to ask. You've done the walkthrough so there's no "Read the manual n00b" left to shout at you about. :D In general you should find this is a pretty supportive community, we want to get new people FREDding and modding.

It was pretty amusing watching a Prometheus freighter doing loops on the spot trying to do a facing change, however.

I've noticed that happening a couple of times in the campaign. Usually I'm too busy flying to catch them in the act, but once or twice I've seen the Theseus wiggle and tumble end-over-end like a quarter to find its new direction rather than gracefully turn to face the baseship in mission 2.

Offline Aether

I'm just getting started! :)

For someone who isn't exactly "technologically literate" the whole thing is a bit of a head scratcher though  :lol:

Still, I want to build a campaign, and seeing as I have a plot in my head I want to get it done.
So say we all!