Author Topic: Widescreen resolutions  (Read 5100 times)

Widescreen resolutions
Hi all,

Quick question: Is there any way to support widescreen resolutions without GUI / object stretching? I play in 1680x1050, and would prefer full screen as opposed to a fixed aspect ratio with black bands. Does the game officially only support 4:3?

Thanks

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Widescreen resolutions
The new HUD code should allow perfectly unstretched widescreen HUD elements. Unfortunately I believe WCS forked its code before that entered trunk. Hopefully the WCS code guys grabbed it and added it to their fork.

Thanks for the reply. The latest installer of WCS Prologue does not appear to support this, but maybe it's just a setting I haven't discovered yet.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The latest installer of WCS dates back to the 31st of December 2006. :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

So is that a "No" then?

Offline Topgun

So is that a "No" then?

yes.

Why did WCS fork? any chance of the branches merging?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't really want to talk about that.

Herr_Koos, FreeSpace Open 3.7 will support widescreen resolutions without stretching the HUD. Whether Wing Commander Saga will do so I cannot say because they forked from FreeSpace Open 3.6.12. However there is no reason they could not have grabbed the HUD code from FSO, as FSO is, as the name suggests, open. Or they could have come up with their own solution.

Offline KeldorKatarn

Herr_Koos, FreeSpace Open 3.7 will support widescreen resolutions without stretching the HUD. Whether Wing Commander Saga will do so I cannot say because they forked from FreeSpace Open 3.6.12. However there is no reason they could not have grabbed the HUD code from FSO, as FSO is, as the name suggests, open. Or they could have come up with their own solution.

Or we could consider the current solution the better one...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Or we could consider the current solution the better one...

Isn't that what my last sentence said?

Or do you mean you will not be changing the way the engine handles widescreen resolutions?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Since the new HUD code was merged into trunk, it is the current solution.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

OK, so where does that leave things? Is non-stretched widescreen supported in WCS or not?

Offline KeldorKatarn

No it isn't. And that was a concious decision.

In other words: Saga does support widescreen resolutions. And yes, we actually WANT the HUD to be streched in those resolutions.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, TBH, it didn't looked as bad.
I actually prefer to have it not altered for my resolution.

In other words: Saga does support widescreen resolutions. And yes, we actually WANT the HUD to be streched in those resolutions.

I'm fine with the HUD, that doesn't bother me in the least. What got me wondering about it was planets that are noticeably oval instead of round.  It's not really a major gripe,  I was just curious. Thanks for clearing it up.

Offline KeldorKatarn

I'm fine with the HUD, that doesn't bother me in the least. What got me wondering about it was planets that are noticeably oval instead of round.  It's not really a major gripe,  I was just curious. Thanks for clearing it up.

The planets are not oval. It's an optical illusion resulting from your eyes comparing it to the radar and central HUD elements which it THINKS are circular. Instead it's the HUD elements that are oval, not the planet. I've had that myself.
The entire 3D view is NOT stretched on widescreen resolutions. The only thing that is stretched is the 2D HUD.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure there can be stretching issues with background elements because they're rendered through a separate system from the 3D models, but I could be wrong.

Offline KeldorKatarn

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure there can be stretching issues with background elements because they're rendered through a separate system from the 3D models, but I could be wrong.

Yes they are rendered differently. At least somewhat. But that's not a HUD issue.