Author Topic: Review of WCS  (Read 13904 times)

Offline qwadtep

@Dragon:
Well, the low-end users don't seem to mind.
Those with performance problems usually complain about the huge fleet battles' performance on their PC, I think I haven't read a single complaint about performance in the missions with the station yet.
I was fine with the fleet battles but would occasionally suddenly drop to 2-3 FPS in the Torgo missions even when the station wasn't onscreen.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Personally I'm wary about the campaign now because I was expecting some development of/around the main character who already seems like a mix of doormat noob and battle hardened veteran (in his own eyes only apparently). Is WCS supposed to be character driven, or is Sandman just a way for us to be there like Alpha 1?
The inconsistency of the main character is most likely due to a combination of multiple FREDers and long development time. It's very difficult, from inside the modding team, after years of development and multiple versions of the same missions, to have the hindsight/perspective you currently have after playing through the whole campaign in a few days.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Sombre

I can see how that would make it very difficult and it probably invalidates my question, which is about what it is supposed to be rather than what it currently is. What it was envisioned to be probably fluctuated a lot in those 10 years.

So far I don't find Sandman as aggravating as Spoon did, but he's looking back having played the entire thing. I started and promptly stopped playing a jrpg recently when my friend, who had completed the game, told me the main character only gets more annoying as time goes on. Since my original question to him was 'is this guy going to get any less annoying',... well you get the idea.

To clarify when I say Sandman is annoying I mean Sandman and the way he is treated. If everyone in a game regards your character a certain way it's hard to avoid either seeing him that way yourself (which can be a good thing), or simply thinking 'wtf is wrong with everyone?' (which is almost always bad). It's a common problem when a character is written as 'cool' and everyone talks about how cool he is and treats him like he's cool, but he doesn't seem cool to the player.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The problem is, Sandman is exactly the opposite. He's quite badass and have gone through a lot, yet nobody gives him any respect until the very, very end. Not to mention he's quite generic, so it's easy for the player to "superimpose" himself onto him. And of course, nobody like being treated like a newbie when he has 500 or so kills on his account, giving the allmighty Heart of the Tiger a run for his money. Especially that since WCS seems to acknowledge the novels as canon, and the novels make Blair seem like a medicore pilot at best. Taking that into account, Sandman has most likely outdone Maverick in kills by the end of the campaign. But nobody seems to care, from either side.

I just got past the mission where you're at the Torgo base and run a patrol.

Oh that reminds me.... to whoever it was who was wondering why I needed so many textures for one model... thats the model  :p
Eck. That's the most inefficient model I've seen since Steve-O. 25 textures? That makes for at least 82 maps in toto. Surely, you don't need all of them. Thankfully, no mission should require more than one. But it still has too many textures, even more than some old WCS models, like the Concordia-class from WC4 recreation.

Be thankful it had tons of symmetry. The main reason is because of it's ungodly massive size.  The textures are sized the same as capships.

For the purpose it was meant for, i.e. "Holy crap that's huge and doesn't look like someone scaled it too big," I'd say Torgo is very effective.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Lorric

I've played the first 10 missions or so of WCS then replayed them since the mouse patch arrived.

I found this a useful review. I think the main points it raised aren't being discussed though - the posts here are about the minor diversity issue and the potential for one model to possibly cause problems.

Personally I'm wary about the campaign now because I was expecting some development of/around the main character who already seems like a mix of doormat noob and battle hardened veteran (in his own eyes only apparently). Is WCS supposed to be character driven, or is Sandman just a way for us to be there like Alpha 1?

I am seriously hating Sandman right now. Possibly the worst player character I've ever played as. At times I feel outright offended that this... this pussy is my representation in the game. It's no wonder everyone treats him like **** with the personality he projects. And I'm sure they have better things to do than check the killboard for some new guy's stats. If it looks like a pussy, acts like a pussy, talks like a pussy...

I'd have 0 confidence in Sandman if I was flying with him, with the way he conducts himself.

EDIT: I also think the game so far scores weakest in gameplay and replay value, which to me are the two greatest priorities I have when I look for a game.

However, so far just about every other aspect of of the product has been top class. I still want to continue and see what happens, and I also want to get to the two missions Spoon describes and see them for myself. But the gameplay itself is starting to become a chore.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:41:38 pm by Lorric »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's very difficult, from inside the modding team, after years of development and multiple versions of the same missions, to have the hindsight/perspective you currently have after playing through the whole campaign in a few days.

That's why you get testers?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

It's very difficult, from inside the modding team, after years of development and multiple versions of the same missions, to have the hindsight/perspective you currently have after playing through the whole campaign in a few days.

That's why you get testers?

I don't get this either. He's the main character. This should NOT slip through the net. Unless they actually want him to come across that way. I wonder who created Sandman, and what they wanted him to be.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:59:40 pm by Lorric »

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
So far, outstanding game - and well balanced. I am at mission 10 or 12 only, though. WC's spirit is captured beautifully. I am really having fun, and the mission, while heavy on the scripting (on which I am OK), are really well led and well-FRED.

I would easily give it give 8/10 - it might seem average but I am the kind of guy who uses the whole range of grades, from 0 to 10.

Dialogs are oustanding. The green walls of text could be shorter but they replace the bar chatters, so OK.

My only grip, for some reason, is for the 3D models, which I find a bit too angulars (esp. fighters). Am I missing an "hi-res" mode or something ?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So far, outstanding game - and well balanced. I am at mission 10 or 12 only, though. WC's spirit is captured beautifully. I am really having fun, and the mission, while heavy on the scripting (on which I am OK), are really well led and well-FRED.

I would easily give it give 8/10 - it might seem average but I am the kind of guy who uses the whole range of grades, from 0 to 10.

Dialogs are oustanding. The green walls of text could be shorter but they replace the bar chatters, so OK.

My only grip, for some reason, is for the 3D models, which I find a bit too angulars (esp. fighters). Am I missing an "hi-res" mode or something ?

remember WC3 which the era this is set in strong simple angles was the chosen styles, especially for the kats.  While this was due to technology reasons the textures didn't give away a lot for expanding on the detail level and most of the theme seemed to be Navy fighters in space so lots of streamlined hulls and grey paint for the terrans and strong, plain angular designs for the kitty kats
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art