Author Topic: Nightly Builds FAQ and Help  (Read 33235 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Nightly Builds FAQ and Help
Welcome to the Nightly Builds subforum!  Here you'll find compiles of the latest and greatest checkouts from the trunk, or main branch, of SVN.  All this means is that this is the most up to date code that has been submitted as ready for the next release.  This isn't always necessarily the case, so feel free to get the latest build from here and run it through the paces.

So, these are essentially the same as a standard trunk build you might have seen show up on the Recent Builds subforum from time to time.  The nightly part comes from the fact that there is now an automated process in place, that can, theoretically, build and upload a new build every night after code has been committed.  At the moment, don't expect every night, as neither the current hosting nor the platforms used to develop the build script can handle it.  See other sticky if you can help out in these areas.

What you need:
Anything you would need to run a normal build, basically.

You will need an MD5 app for Windows (such as MD5Summer) to verify the md5sums, if you wish.  Your Linux distro may be lacking md5sum as well, so you would need to look into acquiring it for your system.  OS X may need the Xcode Developer Tools for the md5 command, I'm not sure.  With recent Xcodes, the Command Line Utilities are a separate downloadable install if you don't want to install the entire Xcode package from the App Store.  It requires an Apple Developer account (free).  The tools are available as separate packages for Mountain Lion and Mavericks last I checked.

Windows versions are archived with 7-zip.
Linux and OS X versions are archived with their respective tar utilities.

If you're coming here first after doing a fresh install of FS2 from retail media, you will definitely want to get the Launcher for your respective OS, if there is one.

All platforms:  wxLauncher (ongoing project for a unified launcher)
Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or here or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

You may want to look into the FS2NetD Setup thread, for multiplayer info, or Cole's eye-candy setup thread, as well as many of the other eye-candy setup threads around the forums.

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

My sound has degraded from older builds, what happened?
The move away from DirectSound to pure OpenAL means that integrated sound cards and other cards with poor OpenAL support might be experiencing poor sound playback.  Make sure your audio card drivers are up to date, it is often important for ensuring good OpenAL support.  Disabling EFX can help, but you might also want to look into trying the OpenAL Soft DLL.  Get the Win32 binary package on that page, and install the soft_oal.dll into your Freespace2 folder, not the System folder as the readme instructs.  If that doesn't work, try a different sound device in the launcher.  Generic Software should be the most reliable one.

What platform is used to build the nightlies?
WIN:  Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, MSVC2015 Update 2
OSX: OS X 10.11.4 (El Capitan) Xcode 7.3 configured for Apple LLVM 7.0, Latest SDK (10.11), Deployment Target 10.7
LINUX: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS 32-bit GCC 4.8.4
FREEBSD: PC-BSD 10.2 64-bit clang 3.4.1

Hidden Text: Outdated FAQ • Show
Text-to-Speech (voice) support is not enabled in nightly builds.  Visual Studio Express editions can't build with it enabled, so we have it disabled in the project file by default.  It will be in Release Candidates and Final builds, and should work as well as it has in the past.  But that's why we have release candidates before a final build :)
Text to Speech and Voice Recognition have both been enabled by default in the VS 2013 and 2015 project files so the nightlies have had these enabled for some time.

Should I download "standard" or "Inferno"?
Inferno - keep in mind that it will update your pilot files if you put them in the inferno pilots folder, making them unusable on non-inferno builds when placed in the regular pilots folder.  So copy them, don't move them if you want to use the pilot on both for now.  The Inferno differences will be made standard in the near future.

All Inferno changes have now been unified as 'Standard'.

Keep in mind these builds have the most bleeding edge features, that have often gone through minimal testing in a separate code branch.  They are a double edged sword.  On the one hand, fixed bugs will likely be fixed in these builds first.  On the other, any new bugs will likely show up in these builds first.  Always back up your pilot files before testing with these builds, if you care about them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:26:41 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Nightly Builds FAQ and Help
thanks for the explination , i will use these to do bug testing in multiplayer    ( whenever i can find someone who wants to play that is)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The shaders VP still has the indefinite return thing going on, so it's not going to work for as many people. Based on the OS poll, though, there aren't very many people using something old enough that it won't work. :p
-C

Offline Havner

Any chance for an inferno builds as well next to normals?
Need a linux launcher? Check here.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't actually know how to set up inferno or voice builds, save for on linux.  Gonna have to wait for them to make one probably.  These are just for general bugtesting right now and not everyday use, although once the RCs come out we might try to put out voice-enabled and inferno builds as well.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Havner

Linux is not my concern, no problems with developing enviroment there (it's enough to pass --enable-inferno to configure).
My concern is win which I use lately more cause of TrackIR. I don't know how to do that there but can check. Probably a matter of some define. I can do that as well, but that would require getting whole dev enviroment for windows which I'm not keen to do as I use it as gaming platform. Nothing more.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Inferno builds merely require the INF_BUILD preprocessor definition to be set. Voice requires a bit more work as the SAPI SDK needs to be in the path. Last time I tried it VC2005 complained about the SDK itself and refused to build. Given that I don't particularly fancy fixing MS's mistakes I just left it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Havner

I ended up installing VS anyway to check this (didn't notice Karajorma's post and could just check configure.ac) so as I'm concerned I don't need inferno for now, can build it myself :-)

Lovin' this idea. Just one question. What's with the whole MD5 thing? What do I need it for?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Shade

If you have an MD5 hash generator, you can use it to check if the file was corrupted during the download.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Firefox has an Addon that will allow you to do this from the download window, it is called MD5 Hasher.

For a windows shell utility that will add a hashes tab to the Right-Click|Properties section, a handy app called HashTab exists.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Oh. So I'm assuming corrupted downloads happen often enough that it would be worth installing this?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Not really, but frankly, it would be worth it anyway just to have one more tool to verify you have the full whatever it is you were trying to get.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline maya

• Some text here.
    • PN3

For GLSL, you will need the 1119 shaders VP to take advantage of normal maps with any build since mid July 2008.

Quick 2 questions, do i need this file still? and do i put it in FS2/mediavps folder?

Thanks.
I am a guy....all the cool BSG guy names were taken.
aka EmmEff | aka Pilot

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The 1119 shaders are the latest that Taylor released, however there is going to be a new set in the MediaVPs when they are fully released (soon).  If you want GLSL for any other mod that doesn't use the new mediavps, you would need that file or the shader set from the new MediaVPs.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Here is the set in VP format of the shaders in the up-coming MediaVP's.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I believe the part about shaders in the first post should be deleted. Or consult Zacam about it.

Also, this topic needs something like this added to the first post.

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

Should I download "standard" or "Inferno"?
Inferno

Edit: I am fully aware I could edit the top post myself but this is the SCP teams turf...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Why don't the nightly builds come with a debug exe?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Space constraints.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Why don't the nightly builds come with a debug exe?
SSE2 ones do not. Others have them.