Author Topic: Unofficial 3.5.3 release  (Read 20823 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
Since I've seen dozens of posts all over the place wondering about this or that bug in the released 3.5 and 3.5.1 versions, not to mention whether a specific feature has been implemented yet, I thought it's high time for an unofficial release.

Due to the DX8 merge and lots of features being added, 3.5 and 3.5.1 both had "issues".  Some of the bugs have been fixed, some haven't.  Rather than waste time in every thread that sprouts up, I think it'd be a good idea to direct all discussion about versions and bugs here.

Without further ado, here are the latest builds as of 4/7/2003...
fs2_open_3_5_3_unofficial
fred2_open_3_5_3_unofficial

EDIT: These links are all dead. :(  A new Windows build has been uploaded at http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_3_5_3.zip

Reason for the numbering scheme: it looks like someone uploaded a version 3.5.2 to the EXE folder on 4/4 but never posted anything about it.  Rather than disrupt a point of reference, I'm calling this version 3.5.3. :nod:

The readme (a work in progress) is available here...
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/readme/

Old 3.5.1 thread
Old 3.5 thread
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:00:02 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
Short list of bugs and bugfixes...

Due to some bug with the launcher, I can't get FS2 to run in anything but hi-res mode.  Others, however, haven't had this problem.  This is being looked into.

FS2 crashed pretty frequently in version 3.5.  The crashes seem to have lessened since then, but the cause hasn't been pinpointed.

Texture replacement has worked in FS2 since 3.5, and it should now also work in FRED2.  I think all the bugs with the texture selection dialog have been worked out.  Don't expect the replacement textures to show up in FRED2, though, because they won't - you'll have to load the game for that.

All the sexps on the sexp thread main page (as of 4/7/2003) have been implemented.

A slider bar has been added to the mission selection screen, and the missions now reach to the bottom of the window in hi-res mode.

Scroll buttons have been added to the command briefing. :nod: You'll need the graphics here if you want them to show up, however.  Unzip them into the interface folder.

The weapons bank bug has been fixed. (Not sure if this was in 3.5.1, but listing it just in case.)

I think that's it.  Anyone with other info, please post it here.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
who added the slider bar and buttons?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
C'est moi. :nod:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
you did?
how, I've tryed adding things to the weapons loadout screen but it does not seem as if it was designed to be expandable
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
Actually, it's quite easy.  Figuring it out in the first place was tough, though. ;)

Find the #define's that list all the buttons - there'll be a list from 0 to whatever.  Add a new #define and create a new button accordingly.  Add the appropriate interface art reference to the filename array (minus the 0001 for highlighted and 0002 for depressed).  Find the mask of the selection screen - the dark area with white all over it.  Create a mask in the area you want the button to be, using the value (255 - [your define value]) as the R, G, and B values for the area.

That's it in a nutshell.  Check out readyroom.cpp to see how I did the command brief buttons.

Offline Inquisitor

Unofficial 3.5.3 release
Beat me to it, you dog :)

BTW, if you just bug me on IM, you can make these official, I think you have earned the right.

I couldn't get access to CVS from where I was this weekend.

No signature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
Okeydokey then.  Cool. :)

Could you sticky this, then? :drevil:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
I noticed a new option in the mission properties window in the editor, the "support ships repair hull" one. How exactly does this work? Does the support ship repair ships all the way back to full strength or only partial strength? I think this feature would work very nicely for my campaign but would like to limit the repair level to 60% or so (i.e. support repairs ships only up to that percentage); is this possible?

Scroll buttons have been added to the command briefing.  You'll need the graphics here if you want them to show up, however. Unzip them into the interface folder.

Awesome; now I don't have to worry about making these too long anymore. :yes:

By the way, I added in two small bugs in FRED2 that have been there since the beginning into the Bugzilla thing; they should be pretty easy to address and fix.

[edit] hmm, I think we have a problem here. I just loaded up the game and the glow maps are not showing up; the game looks like the original 1.2 version used to. I tried various combinations of the D3D8 settings asked for at startup but nothing seemed to work.

Also, the game now seems to create a text log every time it is started; is there some way to disable this?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:16:35 am by 296 »

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Unofficial 3.5.3 release
Originally posted by CP5670

Also, the game now seems to create a text log every time it is started; is there some way to disable this?

I love the smell of debug builds at lunchtime!
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if DX8 has been merged I will need to re work glow mapping, but fortunately I know exactly what I need to do, and it should make rendering quite fast

in fact I am going to try and see if I can't get it to work before I leave for work

hmm... I'm going to have to make a fairly minor change to a farly large amount of code, I have to add an int the the texture cacheing code for texture stage, I remember messing around with this type of code before and I remember it not likeing being changed with the fourty seven billion layers of indirection and defines

eh, hell with that, I'll just hack it in with a global

um... were is all the rest of the code?
none of the glow map loading code is there nothing in any of the poly model structs, I hope this isn't a revert back to a few months ago.
*goes to see if beam code is still safe*
...it's not there :wtf:
all code changes for the last... (guessing)six months... are gone
am I going to have to copy over all my changes by hand?
I don't think I can remember all the little things that have been done

I'm getting a bunch of linker errors, bizar linker errors saying that it can't find stuff that it should (in places that it shouldn't care about often), dbugfile_print_counter in GrD3D.obj, Cmdline_mod in CfileSystem.obj
:wtf:

maybe I checked out the wrong revision :nervous:
lets hope so.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 08:13:08 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Inquisitor

That's what I meant by "Check your code to make sure your features are still there." when we did the merge.

The code is still in CVS, we just have to grab it by date and merge it in, unfrotunately, that is a time consuming process.

Wish you had mentioned this 2 weeks ago :(
No signature.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well I was waiting for an offical 3.5.1 to be let out, bugless...
it never seemed to happen,
this is going to take for fric'n ever
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm going to go back to 3.51 for now; this one seems to have some issues... (the new fred2 looks good though)

What happened anyway? :confused:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 01:29:27 pm by 296 »

Offline Inquisitor

All of the code is in CVS.

It's not lost, it's just not in the build that Goober put up, or so it would appear, which means that it's not in the DX8 merge. But it's still there.

Let's get together and actually plan it this time, shall we? My fault as much as anyone, but we need to work together and figure out the best way, and who is best equipped to resolve it ;)

Who did it is not important, how to fix it is, lets keep that in sight and things will resolve.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a "bugless" build ;)

Just a gentle reminder, we are in development, things will happen. We have a solid infrastructure and smart people, we can overcome most things.

Bob: Your schedule is the most restrictive, when can you be available for a jam session?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 02:27:19 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
uhoh, noticed more errors that I had not seen in the last version. First thing is a graphics bug; you can see turret submodels right through the ships: (I am facing a sun so that it can be seen more easily)

The second one is more major. I have a mission where two of my AI wingmen occasionally crash into each other when going to a waypoint, but when the collision occurs they just disappear! I can neither see them anywhere in the mission nor target them, but I can give them orders (to which they do respond) and they show up on the wingmen hud indicator. It only seems to occur with some ships though. This might have something to do with the increased collision damage.

Lastly, it seems that all of menu loading sequences are much slower than they were in 3.51, especially the mission loading time, which has been more than doubled.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 02:29:52 pm by 296 »

Offline Inquisitor

CP: can you tell us in bugzilla some specifics about your hardware and what mode you are running in (yes, you can also tell us here, too)? Open GL or Dx8? Is your system running DX8 or 9?

calling this 3.5.3 is probably a misnomer because of the DX8 stuff, that was a pretty major thing, but, I wanted to reserve 3.6 for the multiplayer stuff, and it would be nice to have the next full point release be a wee bit more stable :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 02:44:51 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
It looks like that 3.5.3 is STILL very scary.  I'll just wait for 3.6.  Please don't release it until everything (almost) has been fixed.

Also, I can't run the setup program because my videocard stinks.  Can you post a ZIP file for the release?  (You can't ostracize someone because of his videocard!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 05:40:01 pm by 255 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well fred2_open_3_5_3 has none of these problems.  It does, however, have a whole lot of bugs fixed.

Not all the sexps will work in earlier fs2_open versions, but I would highly recommend using fred2_open_3_5_3 for any SCP Fred work you need to do. :)

/me thinks you should just concentrate on bug fixing for the next couple of months at least ;)

Olympus (TBP) is still crashing.  I'm going to recompile this eventually and see what happens (but I'm not expecting it to fix the problem to be honest).  Has not worked since version 3.4

I'd love to provide a bugzilla report on it but I've no idea how to use the program, could anyone give me a run down?  I can't even find the exe to start it !
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.