Author Topic: F-14 vs Amazon Drone  (Read 18381 times)

Offline CaptJosh

F-14 vs Amazon Drone
I'd like it even more if someone could do up a model of an F-14 to throw into there. Though the F-14 I think flies faster and has longer ranged weapons than anything in the game. I mean, the cannon on a Tomcat has an official effective range of 1 mile, with kills recorded out to 2 miles. That last's very nearly 4Km. IIRC, the Morningstar is the only gun with that kind of range in FS2.  And then there's the AIM-54C Phoenix, a missile with an approximate effective range of 100 miles. That would play hell with balance, even with the limited loadout. F-14s can carry a max of six Phoenix missiles. 1 per wing, plus 4 more attached to the fuselage. Only six, but with that range, not to mention six AIM-7 Sparrows and four AIM-9 Sidewinders, well, the damage it could do on an FS2 battlefield without even reloading would be quite disproportionate to its sice and carrying capacity.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:04:38 am by CaptJosh »
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Request: Looping Lock Tone
I tell you what. You take your F14 and watch it get the **** blown out of it by an amazon drone.

No air in space = no ability to move or turn. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

I am well aware it would have to be modified to operate in space. For one, its engines would need to be replaced with whatever sort of engine is used in fighters in Freespace. As for your statement of no maneuverability without air, that is not precisely true. F-14s have vectored thrust engine exhaust.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I am well aware it would have to be modified to operate in space. For one, its engines would need to be replaced with whatever sort of engine is used in fighters in Freespace. As for your statement of no maneuverability without air, that is not precisely true. F-14s have vectored thrust engine exhaust.

Which won't work without air to burn the fuel with! :p

To be honest your entire post was ridiculous as well as off-topic (which is why it's getting moved). You ignore the fact that FS2 ships can withstand multi kT impacts and that they have shields on top of that. Your F14 would do absolutely nothing to an FS2 universe fighter. Even an unshielded Anubis would sit there and laugh at it. An Amazon drone could take it out with minimal damage. Hell it probably wouldn't even get it's paintwork scratched.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: F-14 vs Amazon Drone
The fact that although the GTW Training Laser is vitrually the weakest weapon in the game, it still have energy that can be mesured in tons of TNT, and the fact that an F-14 couldn't possibley be modified for space... yeah, that just isn't going to work out.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

You didn't, y'know, consider that replacing the engines, etc, with Freespace 2s' equivalents wouldn't make it, I dunno, perhaps handle like an FS2 fighter? (!)

Offline CaptJosh

It depends on the implementation. Perhaps someone could work up a Veritech fighter from Jack McKinney's Robotech books instead. It's an aerospace fighter that quite resembles the F-14 in appearance when in fighter mode, though it has far greater capabilities. (In the Macross anime, the design of a Veritech depended on where you were from. The Russians made them to resemble MiGs, for example.)
CaptJosh

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Even if you did replace it, look at the size. It is about 18 meters long, but with its height and width, it probly won't be able to fit them. Then you would need to power them. All that can't fit in that hull. I think.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
*cough* GTF Pegasus... *cough*
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'd like it even more if someone could do up a model of an F-14 to throw into there. Though the F-14 I think flies faster and has longer ranged weapons than anything in the game. I mean, the cannon on a Tomcat has an official effective range of 1 mile, with kills recorded out to 2 miles. That last's very nearly 4Km. IIRC, the Morningstar is the only gun with that kind of range in FS2.  And then there's the AIM-54C Phoenix, a missile with an approximate effective range of 100 miles. That would play hell with balance, even with the limited loadout. F-14s can carry a max of six Phoenix missiles. 1 per wing, plus 4 more attached to the fuselage. Only six, but with that range, not to mention six AIM-7 Sparrows and four AIM-9 Sidewinders, well, the damage it could do on an FS2 battlefield without even reloading would be quite disproportionate to its sice and carrying capacity.

I vote for this as the dumbest post of the year.

Oh and by the way, the F-14 does not have vectored thrust :p

Also, you'd have to literally rip out every bit of the F-14. How would you get oxygen and atmosphere? Where would you put the fuel for all of the attitude adjustment thrusters?

It depends on the implementation. Perhaps someone could work up a Veritech fighter from Jack McKinney's Robotech books instead. It's an aerospace fighter that quite resembles the F-14 in appearance when in fighter mode, though it has far greater capabilities. (In the Macross anime, the design of a Veritech depended on where you were from. The Russians made them to resemble MiGs, for example.)

Uh...yea, except the Veritech (Valkryie, in case you've never seen the original Macross) is a giant transforming robot. It also uses fictional "protoculture" powerplants (in Robotech at least); if you can pick up some of that, pass it around so we can all have a smoke :p

Suffice to say: no, the F-14 would not work.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Let me just add to what other people have said about what you might need to add.

Radiation shielding (plus micrometeor protection).  Full 360 degree inertial control.  Nuclear fusion reactor linked to a subspace drive, replete with capacity to divert power to various systems.  New weaponry (it's a fair assumption that  - aside from shields - fighter in 300 years in the future would have somewhat improved armour and hence you would need better weapons than modern cannon).  Capacity to re-arm in flight (otherwise it's operational value is severely reduced; not to mention that countermeasures and maneuverability would be expected to shake long range missile fire).  Avionics for stellar travel (i.e. plotting jumps, navigating, as well as filtering out background detail for the equivalent of radar, etc).  Life support systems.  Ultra-long range communications equipment.

Another thing that occurs is that speed is unnecessary.  In close dogfighting, agility is more important; and you don't get long range engagements because every ship possesses the ability to more or less make pinpoint jumps in close to the target.  Offhand, the Harrier has a very good record against the far faster F-15 (in training dogfights/excercises) because it has the ability to turn quicker.

It's a fictional universe created for close-combat, too, and it stands to reason that technology must preclude BVR-type combat otherwise it'd be used.  Likewise, any obvious tactical advantage - mile range cannon, >5km instakill type missiles, superfast engines, etc can be safely said to be impossible or rendered inefficient by the setting and tech levels.

i.e. it wouldn't be an F-14, it'd be a spacefighter shoehorned an antiquated design intended for an entirely different purpose.  Not only would the advantages prescribed to it be highly improbable in this context, they'd be far easier to achieve with 'conventional' designs.  So I guess you have to decide if you a) want to replace the Perseus model with an F-14 or b) increase all the stats on the Perseus for speed, weapons, etc.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What he said....

In atmosphere it might caouse a havoc (assusming FS2 fighters can fly in atmosphere - I THINK I saw a animation of a Ursa flying over some mountains), but in space - it would have to be completely reconfigured...

Oh - a F-14 is more manuverable than a F-15, so it would PAWN a harrier...big time.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
You know... I've officially decided I want my own fighter jet... however that is beside the point. Replacing all the parts of an F-14 to fly in space would be vaugley equivalent to the DoD aproving a new carrier based interceptor, designed to look like a WWI bi-plane, only more so, maybe designed to look like a Viking ship.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What he said....

In atmosphere it might caouse a havoc (assusming FS2 fighters can fly in atmosphere - I THINK I saw a animation of a Ursa flying over some mountains), but in space - it would have to be completely reconfigured...

Oh - a F-14 is more manuverable than a F-15, so it would PAWN a harrier...big time.

More maneuverable than a VTOL, though?  I doubt it.  In any case that's beside the point here; the point is the advantage of maneuverability in close combat (i.e. the closest equivalent to FS2 combat in modern warfare) over speed (i.e. the faster but less maneuverable F-15).  In a real combat situation a Tomcat would aim to be engaging at beyond visual range where it doesn't have to jockey into position, but BVR isn't a luxury prevalent with jump drives.

I'm not suggesting outfitting a Harrier with a fusion drive and Prometheus' (that would be inane), just noting that in an environment where combat is forced into close range (with capacity for evasion via jumping) it'd be more valuable to turn on a die than go faster.

What he said....

I believe the only ship in freespace that has atmospheric flying ability is the perseus, i think that was said in the tech room, even though in a command briefing animation a horus was seen flying over the landscape.

Personally I like the F117 Nighthawk (stealth bomber) and a new russian fighter that has the wings inverted, forgot the name of it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 07:39:01 pm by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline Spidey-

The FS Universe itself is completely unrealistic. I mean it's arcade "physics", you can fit a a dozen missiles in the volume of a maverick, unlimited power source... sure you can model an F-14 and throw it in there, give it real world stats, see how it does.

But now, i give you...

The Mustang Mk XVIIXVIX Pwnzer Special edition.

Power Source: 4X Zero-Point Module

Propulsion:
The anti-space Propellor- as this baby spins, depending on the modulation, warps space-time, chanelling it into a subspace warp tunnel. the resultant wake gives the fighter an apparent max velocity of your imagination

Maneauverability:
Handles better than your grandma's old Ulysses

Weapons:
-6X M9999X^2 50mm Antimatter rounds with a phase modulating jacket(so it'll go through shields) This sucker will vaporize anything below Sathanas class armour. 12500 Rounds per Minute. According to newtonian physics, its range is indefinite, but it has been field tested in the FS Universe at 35km It comes with and internal O2 Injector for a synthesized firing atmosphere and a Vacuum ammo replicator.
-AIM bloody big number Mk 2  Apocalypse, Range 2.56AU, Yield (you don't wanna know). Fires in swarms of 4. Max Payload 120

Shielding:
Do you really need to ask? Lucifer class shielding.

Armour: Multilayerd Bio-high-density polymer smart Armour

+it will fly in atmosphere

Let's pit this beauty against a squad of those F-14s  :yes:

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Oh yeah?

The Killalotapeeps ship MK I

infinite manuverability
infnite power
infinite speed
infinite range with all weapons
infinite sheilds
infinite damage with weapons
infinte helios missles that go infinite speed and infinete damage
indestructeble
invinceble
impervious
annialation
destruction
rampaging

;)

Offline Spidey-

so, as soon as you touch the joystick, your ship goes into a spin with infinite Gs and you're splattered all over the cockpit  ;7

besides, mine looks cooler :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
ISD Polaris ftw.

It has no controls save one. The red button marked "WIN".
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What he said....

I believe the only ship in freespace that has atmospheric flying ability is the perseus, i think that was said in the tech room, even though in a command briefing animation a horus was seen flying over the landscape.

Personally I like the F117 Nighthawk (stealth bomber) and a new russian fighter that has the wings inverted, forgot the name of it.

It seems evident the GTVA has anti-gravity tech for atmospheric flight, though, given the transports seen in the VPrime cbanim.  Although how well that would work in, say, a badly damaged Hercules hurtling through the atmosphere is another matter altogether... :D

I don't remember any mention of atmospheric capability for any FS1 or FS2 ship, though.