Author Topic: What CVS?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Topgun

I have been trying to upgrade my retail FS2, but the 3.69 build will not work on my computer because my graphics card is too old (Nvidea TNT2), so I thought that maby one of the older builds will be supported, maby even CVS. the only thing is, 1 I don't know what CVS is, and 2 I do not know how to get one of the older builds or even if one will support my card. Some1 help!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The TNT2 hasn't been supported in years.  And we don't really support old builds anyway so pointing you at one of those isn't going to help you very much.  You're better off just getting a new video card and using a supported build.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If you're in the US, you can get a PCI 6200 for only $30, which will allow to you play FSO comfortably.

Offline neoterran

if you have an AGP TNT2, get an AGP 6200, obviously. and the more video ram (256) the better.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's also a pharmacy store... :rolleyes:
www.cvs.com :D

Sorry...had to get that out...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
if you have an AGP TNT2, get an AGP 6200, obviously. and the more video ram (256) the better.

The AGP and 256MB ones are somewhat more expensive and they would only be marginally faster. I'm guessing he's on a strict budget if he still has a TNT2.

Offline neoterran

CVS stands for Concurrent Versions System or something similar. It's basically a source code control thing, but CVS builds means nightly, or bleeding edge builds.... It's inferior to Subversion (SVN)  ;)
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Topgun

well in that case, is it possible to compile fs2 open using the old FS2 retail source files for rendering and graphics? I mean will that help? I only know a little programing though.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
:welcome:

I have seen FS open run smoothly on a 500mhz system with an Nvidia card that only had 64mb on board, (The computer had 256mb of RAM). Granted I couldn't use all the MediaVPs and all the bells and whistles in the launcher, but it was a big improvement on retail with what I could switch on.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
well in that case, is it possible to compile fs2 open using the old FS2 retail source files for rendering and graphics? I mean will that help? I only know a little programing though.

Far too much has changed to make that a sensible option. If you want to try fixing noHTL mode though feel free to take a look.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]