Author Topic: FRED tips  (Read 2373 times)

This may or may not have been a discussed topic, so apologies if theres already a thead up. (I havent seen one.) If there isn't perhaps you should sticky one up (this one perhaps)

Anyhow, i'm wondering if there are any basic tips to use FRED 2. Setting events is the trickiest part of it all. I've gotten the hang of everything else. Waypoints, attacking, everything except using the events table. It's just too damn complicated. And what does 'Boolean' mean ?  :confused:

any advice?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Events are easy. I mastered them when I was 10 years ago.

You just got to think.

Start with

when

When means, "when this happens, do these things"

So if you want a ship to self-destruct when three seconds have passed, you just do:

Code: [Select]
-when
--has-time-elapsed
---<time>
--self-destruct
---Ship

It's really simple.

Offline Shade

Yeah, it's simple enough once you understand the structure. The included walkthrough does a pretty good job at explaining the way the events editor works, so you might want to take a look at it if you haven't already (It's part of the FRED help files accessed from the Help menu).

A boolean value is either true or false, nothing else. In the context of FRED, a boolean operator is something you use to check the status of something. For example, is-time elapsed is a boolean operator. It's true once the specified time has elapsed, false until then, so you can use it to check how far the mission has progressed and thus time an event.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also note that the operator

and

is boolean, NOT an action operator:

It does not mean "do these two things", it means "check to see if these two things have happened"

i have a problem i need a little help with my self.

how do you put ships into your campaign that are included in a mod that you arn't using? (in my case i'm trying to put an erynes in an inferno mission)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
how do you put ships into your campaign that are included in a mod that you arn't using? (in my case i'm trying to put an erynes in an inferno mission)

By putting the Erinyes entry into the INFR1 table file.

Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Shouldn't this be moved to FRED Academy?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

There wasn't a tutorial walkthrough in Turey's download. He must've left it out  :sigh:

Offline Shade

In that case, there's a link to a web based version of it in the FRED section of the wiki (under external links).
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Keep this going. I've found it very helpful. :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Next operators:

Equal to, Greater than and Less than. (=/</>)

Useful for finding the value of hull and stuff. If you want to find out whether the GTC Ascendant's hull percentage has dropped below 50% and then send a message asking for assistance, you would do:

-when
-->
---hits-left
-----GTC Ascendant
---send-message
----GTC Ascendant
----High
----Help!!

m'kay?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Yup. Cool. :cool:

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Next operators:

Equal to, Greater than and Less than. (=/</>)

Useful for finding the value of hull and stuff. If you want to find out whether the GTC Ascendant's hull percentage has dropped below 50% and then send a message asking for assistance, you would do:

-when
-->
---hits-left
-----GTC Ascendant
---send-message
----GTC Ascendant
----High
----Help!!

m'kay?

Thats event will take place when the hull integrity is above 50%, not below as you wanted.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A typo no doubt. The SEXP would work if he'd pressed the key next door.

Shouldn't this be moved to FRED Academy?

Nope. The Academy is not the place to ask FRED questions. The FRED forum is the right one for that. Only threads about the actual FRED Academy missions should be in that forum.

I'll move this thread to the FRED forum though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]