Author Topic: GTFr Poseidon WIP  (Read 29712 times)

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
So what do you all think? I'm at a bit of loss as to where to go from here.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:36:03 pm by BrotherBryon »
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
4 things:

- So far so good :)
- Why isn't this on the Freespace Upgrade forum?
- Please post pics from other angles to see what can be improved
- May be a good idea to use the cargo container for reference (if you aren't using it already)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
 :yes:

It's good enough as it is.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
:yes:

Very nice.
Though yeah, this should be in FSU :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
The massive polygons on the back of it could be changed. Otherwise  :yes2:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
There's some nasty low-poly triangles where the arms meet the body. Rebuild that area so it looks more realistic, like blocks running into each other instead of bare-bones polygons.

Same goes for the top of the engine cowlings on either side. On a high-poly mesh you really shouldn't be able to see individual triangles at a weird angle on a surface like that.

I will flag your post for a moderator to move. Please don't panic.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
I didn't know if I should put it in FSU as its a Sketch-Up model and as I understand it they are notoriously difficult to get in game. I was going to post another angle but seem to be unable to attach another photo. I assume this is because the thread was moved. Thanks for the feedback I will try to upgrade the arms a bit more when I get a chance.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why not just upload the picture to say, imageshack or photobucket?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

no picture  :(
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Okay I set up an account with Imageshack and uploaded a few pics to the first post. Sorry for the mishap.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I didn't know if I should put it in FSU as its a Sketch-Up model and as I understand it they are notoriously difficult to get in game. I was going to post another angle but seem to be unable to attach another photo. I assume this is because the thread was moved. Thanks for the feedback I will try to upgrade the arms a bit more when I get a chance.

Send it to me when you're done.  I can make sure all of the geometry is stable and then convert it into a usable format so it can be textured by someone...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Like Galemp said, it needs a bit of tweaking, but it's looking good so far. :yes:

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i think we need to get this hauler outta sketchup ASAP if it's going to be in the game.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
i think we need to get this hauler outta sketchup ASAP if it's going to be in the game.

Let him do as much as he can in SketchUp, I can fix almost anything.  Texturing should be done elsewhere though.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Now that there are more pics, I can see a definite problem with the geometry. You've added greebles and things that can be done with normal maps and good textures, but haven't straightened out the corners or improved the base mesh significantly.

For instance, look at the arms that connect the mitts to the main body. At both of those junctions there are some triangles at weird angles. That makes it look less like a real object and more like a mesh built of triangles. With your polygon budget you can do much, much better.

Probably not in SketchUp, though. Its editing capabilities on the vertex level are pretty poor.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline peterv

Request to moderators: Please update the "MediaVP Assets Status" topic.  :)

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
I wasn't sure how much of the overall shape I could change, but based on what has been said I'm going to redo the engine pods, pylons and a few places on the hull. It may be a few days before I have something to show.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
What about the thrusters in the back? are you making some change over there?

Looks nice man ^^
el hombre vicio...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
docking

animation
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
***UPDATE***

Completely redesigned the engine pods and large portions of the hull. Should I model in individual thrusters or would that take to many polys? Also any other suggestions for detailing would be welcome. I'm having a bit of a brain fart as to what to do with the large polys in the rear that can't be done by textures and normal mapping.

By brotherbryon at 2008-09-30

By brotherbryon at 2008-09-30