Author Topic: WIP Shivan Transport Azrael  (Read 20944 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
WIP Shivan Transport Azrael
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpm_D6HbnrM

Read the video description for info on what I've done with it so far.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: WIP Shivan Transport Azrael
We need to see it wireframe or untextured, preferably unsmoothed as well. I can't see any difference at all.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah, I was having trouble with that.

Here is an untextured version.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Looks good so far, keep it up!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Nice, although the indentations could probably be somewhat deeper...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The amount of glow bleeding off the texture on those long side areas suggests to me that they're extruded out, not inset. Could you try that?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well I was looking at it and some of the stuff looked like shadows being cast onto the red parts... now that doesn't really make sense considering the red parts are glow maps, but in retail (or FS1) it might have made a bit more sense. Speaking of which, did Shivan ships have emissive glowy things in the cutscenes (other than the Sathanas supernova part)?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I've done some more work on it, and posted another vid, this one is basically untextured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaczfXPbxA

(I linked to it as soon as I finished uploading, so it may not be ready to display for a minute)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I very much look forward to tearing through that thing's paper-thin hull. :D

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
this second video gives another picture of your work, I didn't like the way it looked on the first one, now it looks very nice indeed, keep going pal!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yay, the Shivans are finally getting some more love!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmm.. Yeah seems to be looking better and better.

Couple of places still seem to need attention.. The rear bump of the ship (and the areas immediately next to it) as well as the small extrusion just below the nose (though seemingly only the faces facing forward).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm not quite sure what to put on the bottom, between the little brown "cargo pods" or whatever they are. In the texture there's just a thick black stripe running down the bottom of the model there.

Edit: also, some of my uv-mapping and smoothing is starting to deteriorate. If someone would be willing to help me out, that would be great. This would mean: I send you a .3ds file containing the model (it uses the mediavps map, so no textures would be necessary). You clean up the uv-mapping to make edges match and such, and do some minor tweaking of face subdivisions to fix any lighting/smooth-groups issues (I know there are a few). Then you'd return a .3ds file to me. I prefer 3ds because Wings3D can import and export the format without losing smoothing groups, and it also can sometimes fix minor bugs in the model that get caused by mirroring or welding repeatedly, but .wings would also work.

Also, I need suggestions for what to do with a few areas. I'm going to post some images showing the areas I don't really know what to do with in a moment.

This is not very inspiring...

Neither is this...

There is another black area underneath the 'shell', I've marked the darkest part with that orange line in this image.

Here I'm thinking about putting some exposed 'engine parts' sort of details.

This might be a good place for something, but I'm not sure what the texture is supposed to represent.

These areas I've completely screwed up the UV map on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:57:21 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Don't worry about preserving the UV map. That will seriously limit the things you can do to the model, mean a lot more work for the UV mapper overall and it's pretty easy for a UV mapper to redo the whole thing at the end anyway.

Thus far I like the fins and the use of the indentations. I'll post suggestions once you post the parts you're having problems with. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm bumping this, mainly because I don't think VA realized I edited those images into my post instead of making a new post with them.

Offline Droid803

Add pipes, clamps, etc. to the black parts or something.
Just some minor details which help spice up the mode :P
(´・ω・`)

Yeah. But no Terran-looking stuff plz (e.g. pipes, clamps, etc :P)

Offline Droid803

Shivans have pipes *points to SD Ravana*
(´・ω・`)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Shivans have pipes *points to SD Ravana*
No. The Azrael is a nice-looking FS1 type model. Let's not **** it up by bringing FS2 crappiness into the picture.

(FS1 purist)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
To be fair, if you look at the texture of something like the Nephilim, you can see a bunch of little pipe-like things.