Author Topic: WIP: Akhom's Raiders ["Demo" Mission release]  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Solatar

WIP: Akhom's Raiders ["Demo" Mission release]
WIP title, forgive the pseudo pun. :p  I will be continuing work on this after finals in a couple weeks, planning to get something released before the next term starts (ten missions at most, but I'm still tweaking the storyline).  If I post something on the boards, I'm hoping it will motivate me to actually release something.  I'm using it as a sort of "FRED Academy Independent Study (not affiliated)" to try to pick up some FREDing skills.

Without further ado, here's some in-universe stuff to get you interested:

Directorate of the Parliamentary Vasudan Navy
Antares Theatre

3200 Vasudan Galactic Time

Sa Vasuda, pilot.  I am Commander Akhom, and I am writing to you on behalf of the Directorate of the Parliamentary Vasudan Navy.  In the war against the Terrans, you have proven yourself an above average pilot.  Your squadron leader from the PVD Pinnacle has given you excellent recommendations and speaks very highly of you. The Directorate has tasked me with creating an elite raiding squadron to be stationed deep in the Antares system at a hidden base.  I have been authorized to offer you a commission as part of the newly created 191st Gahiji Raiders squadron.  I need a wing leader with the competence and flying skills you possess.  
   As part of the 191st, you will be a part of an elite fighter squadron in the PVN.  We will be stationed at an undisclosed base deep in enemy territory in Antares, and our standing orders will be to disrupt supplies and communications in an effort to weaken the Terran foothold in Antares.  While our elite status grants us first priority in new technologies and weapons, we will be operating for long periods of time without support from the rest of the Vasudan Navy.  I need pilots that can operate under these stressful conditions.
   Please respond by the end of this week, and I will push the paperwork for your transfer through.

Commander Akhom
Squadron Leader; 191st Gahiji

Obviously, it's a late T-V War era Vasudan campaign.  The reason I'm starting off with a no-shields campaign is that I'm hoping to garner enough FRED skills to be able to do something useful for the TVWP.  This mod will be based on the FSPort, but will most likely be revamped once the TVWP gets to this period.

EDIT:  I'm not going to release the missions one by one, but in case anyone is willing to test and provide feedback, attached is one. It lacks the Command Briefing that will accompany the full campaign, and a few things that may be added. It requires a SCP build recent enough to use Fury's BP AI (attached as well). Obviously, it also requires the FSPort. Tested with Antipodes #4 (works with AI, etc.).

EDIT2: Forgot to cite Orpheus' Antares background from Light of Antares that is being used for this mission. The final release will probably have a custom background, but I needed something for my own testing and forgot to change it before uploading it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:37:30 pm by Solatar »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Late T-V most likely means that FSPort should be enough.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Solatar

Re: WIP: Akhom's Raiders ["Demo" Mission release]
Bump for a bit of actual content.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
To be honest, I suggest you polish a bit more.
1. no debrief
2. the background was completely black for me
3. I got a vasudan saying "impressive for a terran" and mu wing had a terran saying "you got a bogey on your tail"
There is not much else to say to be honest, it was a short and basic mission.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Solatar

Let me check and make sure I uploaded the correct version. I had at least 6 possible debrief stages (based on whether you destroyed freighters as well as cargo), backgrounds and a starfield.pof.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about the Vasudans saying impressive for a Terran and all; that's what the voices in game say. I might just have to turn off automatic messages like that all together.

EDIT: I'm not sure why you're not getting a debrief. I just played through it again and I get one.

As for it being simple; that's expected criticism: it's the first mission in the campaign, so it's more of an exposition than anything complicated. My mission outline for later missions calls for more complicated FREDing, don't worry. I'll try to lengthen/spice it up a bit before the campaign release.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:41:11 pm by Solatar »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I got a no debriefing stage after I jumped out when none of the directives were completed yet.
The cruiser jumped in before all the freighters/cargo could be destroyed but there was a RTB directive so I jumped.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, same as Spoon says, if you jump when the RTB directive shows, just after the cruiser arrive, and you didn't destroy all cargos, you don't have debriefing.

I had a "1 ship missing" error when loading the mission, although I didn't found any error during the gameplay. If I'm the only one to have it it may come from my side given that I slightly enhanced my fsport_mediavps.

You didn't set up the enemy AI to anything high right ? With Fury's AI I would have expected the enemies to put up more fight than that...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yeah, same as Spoon says, if you jump when the RTB directive shows, just after the cruiser arrive, and you didn't destroy all cargos, you don't have debriefing.

I had a "1 ship missing" error when loading the mission, although I didn't found any error during the gameplay. If I'm the only one to have it it may come from my side given that I slightly enhanced my fsport_mediavps.

You didn't set up the enemy AI to anything high right ? With Fury's AI I would have expected the enemies to put up more fight than that...
I had the ship missing error as well and the a.i. was being really tame here too
Though i'm guessing thats because its just the first mission of your planned campaign

Oh and in the ship loadout I could select two terran bombers.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Solatar

I noticed that when I did the playthrough (the bombers). :nervous:

Thank you for the more specific info on the "no debriefing"  errors.  It seems I forgot to cover one or two eventualities. I thought the "is-goal incomplete" would cover the "jumped out before doing anything" directive, but I'll have to redo some of that.

The AI is set to Fury's "Veteran".

Thanks for your criticisms, I appreciate the testing. I probably shouldn't have rushed the mission out so quickly,

As far as the missing ship errors, I'm using only FSPort mods (as tempted as I am to add some custom ones).  I've gotten missing ship errors from other campaigns before and seen no problems, so I'll have to try to figure out what may be causing it.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, noticed too for the bombers but didn't think to tell :D

Strange thing for the AI, maybe that's because I was playing Medium and was too used to play on Hard with my own custom version of Fury's AI :D

And for the ship error, the thing is that any ship the game can't found will be replaced by the "Default" ship specified as such in the ship.tbl (the Ulysses in FSPort and stock FS2). You should try and target each and every ship in the mission to see if there is an Ulysses hanging around, it would be your missing ship.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Solatar

I found the error.  I have a custom weapon in a .tbm that is left in the player loadout by mistake.  No problems show because you just can't select it. Box unchecked.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I thought the "is-goal incomplete" would cover the "jumped out before doing anything" directive, but I'll have to redo some of that.

is-goal-incomplete and is-event-incomplete are useless for debriefs. Something is either true or false at the time of debriefing. If something is incomplete in the second of jump-out, it becomes false.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.