Author Topic: Help needed for StarWars Mod  (Read 5310 times)

Offline warfull

Help needed for StarWars Mod
Hi
I'm working on a StarWars mod since summer 2009 and I need help to speed up it.
Today few ships are avaibles :
 - X-Wing (10K poly)
 - Tie Fighter (14k poly)
 - Tie Interceptor (6K poly)
 - Tie Bomber (5K ploy)
 - A-Wing (16K poly)
 - Y-Wing (13K poly)
 - Correlian Corvette(30K poly)
 - Nebulon-B frigate(45K poly)
 - Imperial Star Destroyer(181K poly)
All have 3 LODs and  feew debris or destroyed subsytem are setup.
Some parts of modding are realy pain for me so I need your help.
If you are good in texturing and Fredding and if you want to take part of this project, i hope we will play XWing vs TieFighter with good graphics soon.
I'd like to focus my work only on modeling and debugging.
I will setup a web page with a zipped folder of my mod before the end of this week and post the link here.
So tester are welcome.
Here is a link to a little movie i've maid : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb2x9t_sw-mod-for-freespace-scp-prototype_videogames

Here are some pictures :

New ships will come in this order : Rebel transport, Lambda Shuttle, Calamari Cruiser, a Space Station.
Then debris and destroyed subsystems.

PS: I know my textures are bad this is why i need your help

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Help needed for StarWars Mod
You know there is already a WIP Star Wars mod right ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't know who doesn't, but it looks like he couldn't wait :)

Competition is always welcome though, I think we got a little complacent ever since Imperial Alliance disappeared.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
It seems you're basically doing what FotG is doing and naturally I think it'd be better to get everyone working on the same mod instead of separate ones doing the same thing. If you've done all that yourself (or even most of it), then I'm sure there'd be a lot of things you could do for FotG and also a lot of things you then wouldn't need to worry about yourself.

Unless you've specifically decided that you want to make your own separate mod instead, please do check out our subforum and/or drop by our irc channel and see if you'd like to collaborate with us. For example, we could really use some modelled and converted capships (even if brandx0, our top modeller, would redo them at some point himself) that you seem to have or be making, whereas we already have things like better models for most fighters, custom music, sound effects and stuff like that that you might not.

Offline Krallis

• XKappaXThetaX
I have a lambda shuttle mesh if your interested.
Its not an exact replica but looks more or less the same.

Howeer it is about 800,000 polys so id make sure your machine can handle it.

(I posted a picture)

[attachment deleted by admin]
3D Artist In The Making.
http://krallis27.deviantart.com/

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Way too many polies for a shuttle.  Even if you won't have more than one in a mission, there's detail on that mesh that's not even on the studio model.  It's like you added detail just to make it less efficient?   :confused:

That said, it does look like a nice mesh.  But we actually already have a lambda mesh, Brand just needs to texture it (again) because the last textured version died in a crash.

Your poly counts in general seem a bit steep, if you're making this specifically for use in the Freespace engine you might want to look into using normal maps for the smaller details. They'll really help out.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline warfull

yes i Know FotG and yes i cant wait !
The FotG staff has clearly sayd that they dont need modeler and i want to learn 3ds max in this way.

Here is my web page : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/warfull/
You can download MyMod.rar and extract it to your fs2 folder.
There is a patched fs2.exe that fix a bug collision with ship arriving from hyperspace (I didnt found any reports of this bug, I dont know if i have to post it to mantis ) .

I have some problems with ISD's Turbo-Laser. It will be great if they fire only big ship. I've tryed to use the "tagged only" flag and tryed to tag a ship using sexp but it didnt worked.
I need to restrict the angles rotations for turret's base, is there a way using tables or do i need to modify code ?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I have some problems with ISD's Turbo-Laser. It will be great if they fire only big ship. I've tryed to use the "tagged only" flag and tryed to tag a ship using sexp but it didnt worked.
I need to restrict the angles rotations for turret's base, is there a way using tables or do i need to modify code ?
Yes.
"Huge" flag.
That's for weapon, not for turret though.
yes i Know FotG and yes i cant wait !
The FotG staff has clearly sayd that they dont need modeler and i want to learn 3ds max in this way.
When did they said they don't need a modeler?
As far a I know, they have one, maybe two and need every one they can get.
This also applies to model converters, in fact especially to them.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah Huge flag on the weapon in the turbolaser will probably stop it from shooting smaller ships.

As for turret base rotation, Wanderer has added some wonderful code to do exactly what you want, you can limit base and arm rotation to pretty much anything you can imagine now.  Not sure where the documentation on that is, offhand.

Could you please describe the bug you fixed a bit more, and post the patch you used?  If it's indeed needed we can get it into the main code base.  Reporting to mantis is always a good idea, if it's not a bug we can always just say so there.  And Mantis emails work now too.

Where did FotG say we had no interest in a modeler?  I'll admit we've had more than one person interested in modeling, but usually with little experience and no ability to stick around for the long haul.  Even if your models are a bit high poly currently, you seem to have no problem getting them converted.  Since you're using Max, we could possibly use some help with model conversion if you're interested.  We could also help you out with aspects of your project if you're interested.  Up to you.

Offline Krallis

• XKappaXThetaX
Way too many polies for a shuttle.  Even if you won't have more than one in a mission, there's detail on that mesh that's not even on the studio model.  It's like you added detail just to make it less efficient?   :confused:

That said, it does look like a nice mesh.  But we actually already have a lambda mesh, Brand just needs to texture it (again) because the last textured version died in a crash.

It was for UT 3
This was the hipoly model that normal maps are generated from.
A low poly would come in around 20k
( my TIE was 15k)
Your poly counts in general seem a bit steep, if you're making this specifically for use in the Freespace engine you might want to look into using normal maps for the smaller details. They'll really help out.
3D Artist In The Making.
http://krallis27.deviantart.com/

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Have you seen Brand's Interceptor?  2300 polies + normal map :)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Warfull, I just checked your mod and I must congratulate you on setting the record.
I'm not going to work with your ISD in PCS2, as it's the most poly-heavy POF model I seen.
I didn't seens such large file size on a model since I was working on Maalik for BP, which was scrapped partly because of that.
Small number of textures may be it's saving grace in game, at least on good computers, but doing anything in PCS2 with it would be a nightmare. It managed to make PCS2 lag untextured.
In general, ship models of this size should be about 5000kb in size.
If it has more than 10000kb you better make sure that it doesn't have too many textures, or else you will get the same recation as Steve'o's craft, cool but inefficent.
Maalik and X3 ships converted to POF in general have around 25000kb and a small number of textures, and it was called inefficent. as it's usage would have prevented anyone with weaker computer from playing WiH.
Now, we have your ISD.
It has 52000kb of disc size, around 200000 polies on LOD0 and 5 textures.
Maalik had 30000kb of disc size, roughtly 100000 polies on LOD0 and 4 textures. Both are LODed, but Maalik had 4 LODs while ISD have 3.
So, this ISD takes the title of most inefficent POF I ever seen.

Now, don't get me wrong if that sounded like a rant, it's an excellent model, but for Hollywood movie or a game for quantum computer (I'm not familiar with X3 modding, but it looks like it would be called unusually detailed even there).
Those models need optimizing before taking them into game, this: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Modelling should help you create efficent models.
I'd recommend taking a look at the structures at the broadside greebling and the entire superstructure, I'm sure that a lot of polies there could've been replaced with a normal map and that they are the parts where most polies are used.

There's also one more thing to consider when making a model: the popularity of a ship.
I could have accepted such polycount on a one-of a kind Eclipse-class SSD (Emperor's flagship from EU) or a Death Star, but ISD in one of most common Imperial ships in SW universe, so it's likely that there will be two or three on the battlefield. And finally, don't forget that ISD is merely 1600m long, so most of it's details (especially on aformentioned broadsides and superstructure) are not going to be seen unless you sit close to it and watch carefully on a high-res monitor. Ergo, there's no point in making it so much detailed.
Take look at the work of BrandX, as his fighter models are both efficent, beautyfull and accurate to references. He once had an ISD, but it was most likely lost in HD crash.

Offline warfull

When did they said they don't need a modeler?
As far a I know, they have one, maybe two and need every one they can get.

At the end of "Want to Join Fate of the Galaxy staff" Thread :

Please also note that we are not currently accepting applications for the following:  FREDers, Modelers, or "Idea guys"
This may change in the future.

At time i'm writing it i've just notice the "This may change in the future" !
Sorry but i cant read thousands of post to know what's happend.(There is more than 129000 post only in Modding sub-thread)

Dragon, yes I know there are many many polys in ISD. I dont have a powerfull computer :
P4C 3.4GHz , 2Go DDR 400Mhz on P4P800 and ATI X1950 Pro 512Mb
I've tested 3 ISDs in a 4Km radius in 1920*1080 4X AA 4X Anisotropie
FPS didnt fall beyond 60 and 30 when i'm firing.
I havent done this test since many graphics bugs have been removed from ISD (And i think some more subsist).
In my first test it involved 100 fighters and bombers and 20 corvettes + 1 fregates => FPS > 60
For PCS2, i want first to thank all coders  who builded it , and for the beta version Chief1983 and Spicious who did a great job.
And Dragon I have no lag problem with the isd in PCS2 because i only have 6 paths names to change and compute moment of inertia and then i save to pof.
And thank you for yours congratulations  :D
I will try the Huge flag, i've reported the "collision bug" to mantis.
I have a question about poly counts (remeber i'm noob in modeling and modding).
When you say BrandX made a 2300 polys do you mean that in PCS2 this is the total count ?
or do you mean in 3DS Max on polygon model (and not polymesh)  you read 2300 ?

I havent tried yet the bump-maping and from my point of view its part of texturing.
For the ISD i cant expect from bump-maping to replace the big number of polys on each sides !
I think only close  details can be done with it.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I believe it's the triangulated, which should end up being the PCS2 count.  reference

Brand usually speaks in triangulated terms, I think.  If not it still won't go above 5k.  He's a machine :)

Sorry about the misleading info, I'd have hoped you would have at least posted on our forums sooner or stopped by our chat room for a little while.  It's not always busy but it has its moments.

Now that I see what video card you have, you might not be able to personally test any normal maps.  The GLSL stuff doesn't work so well on the X1950 cards.  It's still a good idea to do it, but your setup might be difficult to work with is all.

I'm glad you've been using the Collada build of PCS2, so I take it you used that format to export from Max straight into PCS2 then?  That's exactly how I'm preferring that all FotG models are converted currently, it's gone well for the ones we've done so far.  Like I said, not sure if you would want to lend us a hand or not but we could definitely use some help in that area too.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Warfull I tested your demo, and you did pretty well. Despite the low texture, I found the X Wing pretty sexy in-game. And I didn't know the Hyperspace Warpin type was operational :)
There's a lot to do ^^ Except if you join FoTG. :D

Mapping and modelling are so interelated that you can't really seperate the two. It can be a problem when it comes to normal mapping if you can't see the results. I have that problem too. With my integrated intel card I have to guess what the ship will look at. It's like shooting in the dark.

I havent tried yet the bump-maping and from my point of view its part of texturing.
For the ISD i cant expect from bump-maping to replace the big number of polys on each sides!
I think only close  details can be done with it.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:13:34 pm by bobbtmann »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
MetalDestroyer, if you liked the Hyperspace effect there wait until you see our next video :)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
MetalDestroyer, if you liked the Hyperspace effect there wait until you see our next video :)

Damn it !! :) Except if I join your team :ninja:

Offline warfull

Yes chief1983 i'm ready and will be happy to help us !
How ?

You can say to Brandx0 i have many questions about is wonderfull Interceptor
There is no other description of it except : it looks real !

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah he gets that a lot :)

Come by IRC sometime if you want to chat with us, check the FotG FAQ thread for links.