Author Topic: Best Fs2 fan campaigns !?  (Read 12536 times)

Offline 23-down

Best Fs2 fan campaigns !?
Hi people.

I tried to find such a topic via the seach function but the only topic I've found is from 2004 and archived.

Ok. I make it short. I would be interested which is in your opinion the best Freespace2 fan campaign ever made. We have of course the Campaigns wiki which isn't bad but the informations given on many of the campaigns are mostly just sporadic the same goes for freespacemods.net.

So lets start a small discussion here if you like. I would be interested in hearing your opinions and maybe we get a small list together on just 1 side. That way interested + new people to FS SCP just have  to take a small look onto this topic to get communities best campaigns with the best wishes from us. Tell me if you find this idea stupid guys I'm well aware that there are plenty of sources to gain informations but it can be a bit hard gathering this intel since they are dislocated on many different sites and topics.

Ok i'll make the start with the campaigns I played so far:

The first campaign and in my opinion one of the best is Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius

Finally after 18 years since the destruction of the capella jump node GTVA finally found a way to rebuild the knossos portal. A reunion with Earth is close. But things aren't like expected and something goes wrong. Play and find out what exactly. The campaign offers a new main menu, new music and a very strong story. It felt like I'm playing a possible FS3 another of the best things also is that you have an entire new fleet under your disposal. I'm talking of  really high quality stuff. Unfortunately there isn't any voice acting present yet. But as far as I know the devs are currently working on that and then will release a 2nd version sometimes.

my advice: Download now.

Further infos + dl link:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=49876.0
http://blueplanet.hard-light.net/

Another great project is the Derelict campaign.

Like the name suggests you will find something during the campaign. A thing which will change everything. The campaign is nearly as long as Fs2 if not even longer. The fact that it is fully voice acted gives the entire game a great atmosphere and you're feeling like you're really in space. The story plot is fantastic and also the missions are very challenging and variants rich. I had fun playing this campaign and I'm sure everyone else will.

my advice: Download now.

Further infos + dl link: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=38019.0

Another fine piece of work I came through is the campaign Sol: A history

in this campaign actually in this 4 campaigns you see what happens to Earth on the exact day the Lucifer arrives in the Sol sector. Be a part of Earths history. Play from beginning with the collapse of the jump node in 2335 till the year 2376. The story offers a great & logical plot which strips over 40 years. Unfortunately it had no voice acting and some missions were a bit lame. Still all in all a nice decent campaign.

The campaign requires Inferno R1. Another campaign mod.

my advice: Download later.

Further infos + dl link:

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.108
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.95

Inferno R1 yet another campaign which is based on the same idea like Blue Planet. GTVA created their own knossos portal to reopen the Sol - Deneb node. But instead of a warm welcome by Earth the expeditionary Force has been destroyed by Earth ships. A war is at hand and GTVA must retake control of the blue planet and annihilate the earth dictatorship. An interesting campaign which wasn't bad but the missions were really unrealistic at some point. Your wing is mostly alone in the most difficult missions which was a bit strange at some point.

my advice: Download later.

Further infos + dl link:

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.95

So people now it's your turn what other campaigns can you recommend. It would be nice if you give a small description in your own words + info without spoiling that much and maybe also telling if it features new ships, races , music and if it's voice acted or not. If the plot is ok and make sense to you or not if it's a short or large campaign things like that.

Looking forward to your suggestions. If we all add the things we like most we can surely safe us all some time everyone played something else maybe some of you played everything. As for me I just played the things featured in my list here. I will try to find more good campaigns and then add them onto the list here if I liked them.

Greetings 23-down

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Best Fs2 fan campaigns !?
Procyon Insurgency

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Transcend

Silent Threat Reborn

Silent Threat Reborn

Repeated for great justice.

Also: Sync.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
My favorites are:
- Derelict
- Warzone
- ST:R

Campaigns I did not like although they are very popular:
- Procyon Insurgency. Not only that the difficulty level was way beyond my skills, I also thought the story to be too fantastic.
- Inferno. I never understood what's so uber good about it; no offence meant against the original crew, but this is more a ship and weapons pack with a few testing missions and a rudimentary story than a real campaign in my eyes. I'm looking forward to the Re-Release, though.

BP: AoA a very professional campaign in terms of fredding, but I didn't like the story so very much. Also, I am eager to see the sequel.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Those who didn't like Age of Aquarius should like War in Heaven. It's closer to the original FreeSpace feeling (which I assume is what people didn't like about it) but incorporates the same amazing writing and plot that made AoA awesome. And no more repetitive shooting down Shivans.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Those who didn't like Age of Aquarius should like War in Heaven. It's closer to the original FreeSpace feeling (which I assume is what people didn't like about it) but incorporates the same amazing writing and plot that made AoA awesome.
Yeah, that's exactly the impression I get from the vids we've see son far. That is why I'm looking forward to it so much.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
 :nervous:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Solatar

For Port stuff:

ST:R
Memories of the Great War (Light of Antares, etc.).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Second great war part two !! :yes: :yes: :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

The first campaign i played was Derelict. A great campaign with very fair difficulty and wonderful voice acting.

In the meanwhile i played many campaign's and here my Top 5:

1. Blue Planet AoA (Can't await BP:WIH)
2. Derelict
3. Transcend (i like this scary Storyline)
4. Ghost Revenants
5. Stormfront I+II

also good are Warzone, Aftermath, Homesick and many more...

Its very difficult to create a ranking. The campaign's are all very nice.
What i dislike there are campaigns they are to hard like Inferno or Procyon Insurgency.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Transcend (i like this scary Storyline)
:nod:

1: Transcend
2. ST:R
3:Sync (Was okay. Had a couple FREDing problems though.)
4: Ghost Revenants
5:Stormfront I was okay

The list goes on. There are some really great ones out there though. Always wanted to play homesick, but it didn't work for me on FSO. Hopefully it's been re-done so it is playable (if it is, I'd highly appreciate if you could give me a link. :D)

Didn't like Procyon Insurgency as much, first of all, because I didn't understand it all that well, and probably because I didn't give it much of a chance.

I also really like ITDoH (Into the Depths of Hell.) Derlict (IIRC) was good to.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Nuclear1

Anything released by Ransom--Sync, Transcend, and Windmills (everyone seems to forget about this one).

Anything released by Blaise Russel--Shrouding the Light, STL: Origins, S:AH, Homesick, FoEP, Echo Gate, Phantoms.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Windmills was good, but not my type of campaign. A really interesting idea though. :yes: And yes nuclear, your right. That one is not mentioned as much as it should be.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's closer to the original FreeSpace feeling (which I assume is what people didn't like about it)
To be blunt, people need to get their heads out of their asses and get the **** over the total need for everything to feel like FreeSpace, it's not fun when people are forced to be strict about a mod concept and force it to be completely unoriginal by feeling like the same thing that's been played for the past ten years.
Age of Aquarius was raw awesome in a can.
Mods that try something new usually are awesome.
Like Windmills, another installment of it should definately be done. It's not played like FreeSpace, but it's such a different concept that it's cool.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Cardinal Spear FTW!

I usually don't play the Port, but I'll happily do so for this one. Not to mention the fantastic visuals with physical planet models...  ;7
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That's a campaign I haven't played for a while.

Offline -Norbert-

My favourites are:
1) Blue Planet AoA
2) Silent Threat: Reborn
3) Deralict

If campaigns for The Babylon Project are counted as well, I'd even insert "Fortune Hunters" and "Dark Children" in front of Deralict.

Transcend was also good, though I didn't like to fly only the Herc II all the time, especially since they offer you other fighters in the beginning (and I would have prefered each of them over the Herc) but you turn them down....

Windmills was ... interresting, but it felt too much like a psychotest and too little like a game for me.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
3) Deralict

I want to play that one! where can I find it?  :nervous:
el hombre vicio...