Author Topic: Feature suggestion: Additional animation triggers  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Feature suggestion: Additional animation triggers
Would that be possible to add more triggers for submodel animations?
I think mostly about triggers based on speed and rotation of a ship, they would be very usefull for atmospheric mods that want to make use of flaps, airlerons and rudders, possibly also variable sweep wings. This may also come in handy for other mods, for example FoTG could used them on A-Wing's (two rings behind engines) and A-Wing's tail rudders. In WiH this may be usefull for throttles in Steve'o's ships.

Re: Feature suggestion: Additional animation triggers
And a trigger that engages upon subspace drive activation, deactivates on arrival. Please :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Woo, Voyager-style engine nacelles. :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
iirc animations may be triggered with both script and sexp, though i wouldnt mind an upgrade to the system. i looked at the code couldnt really make heads or tails of it.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

hanger doors
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page

hanger doors
rotation only, no translation unfortunately.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

hanger doors
rotation only, no translation unfortunately.

no rotation if they slide
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
He means the engine currently does not support subobject translation. Only rotation, so to fake sliding you have to use annoying folder mechanisms and long animation scripts. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
translation can be faked using a couple techniques.

the first is to place the center of the object really far away from the actual geometry. this is used for the retractable missile pod on the chimera in nukemod.

the second is more complicated, you need to do something like this.

this was animated in max using only rotations, some tweaking may be required but it should work, the two arms could be made invisible as well so you would just see a sliding door. there was an idea posted awhile back for turrets, where the actual geometry would be stored in a different pof file and would allow for modular turrets. its a very good idea, since the way subobjects are handled in freespace is rather archaic.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:43:46 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And that would work in FS how?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It looks like a 4-deep heirarchy, with each object rotating around its parent.  You might actually be able to do that, if all subobjects follow the parent subobject when it rotates.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
It looks like a 4-deep heirarchy, with each object rotating around its parent.  You might actually be able to do that, if all subobjects follow the parent subobject when it rotates.

child subobjects inherit their parent's rotation. ive used this in the existing version of nukemod (see the hanger doors on the back end of the rumrunner). this has actually been possible for years. the only thing that might interfere with this working is the animation physics the subobject animation currently relies upon. im gonna convert the geometry in that animation to pof and see if it works.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
translation can be faked using a couple techniques.

the first is to place the center of the object really far away from the actual geometry. this is used for the retractable missile pod on the chimera in nukemod.

the second is more complicated, you need to do something like this.

this was animated in max using only rotations, some tweaking may be required but it should work, the two arms could be made invisible as well so you would just see a sliding door. there was an idea posted awhile back for turrets, where the actual geometry would be stored in a different pof file and would allow for modular turrets. its a very good idea, since the way subobjects are handled in freespace is rather archaic.

YES!!!

I've been trying to tell people this since I first heard about this limitation! Good work, Nuke.

Offline Tomo

Putting the centre of rotation being miles away is a much cleaner solution, although it could make the bounding box calculation incorrect.

Relying on a sequence of piled-on rotated subobjects is computationally expensive, and more likely to have 'unexpected' effects if any part rotates more or less than intended.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
wow, it works. download, install as mod, run the mission.

there are sometimes bounding box issues with putting the geometric center in a strange place and whatever way you use this will be a problem. the test model there has borked collision detection (maybe its because i used styxx's export plugin, since dae wasnt working and i really didnt want to spend all day on this) and the door submodel has a funky bounding box (these problems are always encountered when you try to exceed 3 levels of hierarchy with the max plugin). but the point was to show the proper animation and joint setup. the problems are purely with export. had i made the model in truespace it would have been perfect. hard to beleive after all theese years, we still cant use max to export sane models (and i bet anyone who claims they can have poorly smoothed models).

theese are reasons im all for the rendering engine overhaul. maybe they will upgrade geometry with 4x4 transform matrices, or do away with submodels all together and store them in seprate models. just a couple ways to really improve this feature. there were supposed to be more than one type of animation, such as linked animations, which are linked to some value in the game, such as desired roll rate or throttle position. for me i perfer dto do tha animations in scripting, as more stuff is powwible, catch is im not sure if this breaks collision detection are not. the advanced cockpit script im working on has an animation system for this kinda thing (only thing is i really only tested the animation system on is things in the cockpit, not on colideable geometry).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:59:55 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken