Author Topic: Help me choose a Joystick  (Read 2403 times)

Offline GreyKat

Help me choose a Joystick
Hi everyone,

I have the choice between four joysticks, the Saitek S290 Pro, the Logitech Freedom 2.4 GHz, Thrustmaster T. Flight Stick X and T. Flight Hotas X.
Which one would you choose and why? Please refrain from suggesting other models as most of them are not available to me (or without
expensive shipping, duty fees, etc...).

Thank you very much.

GreyKat
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:52:28 pm by GreyKat »

Offline GreyKat

Re: Help me choose a Joystick
I went with a Thrustmaster T. Flight Stick X.
Hope it's not a bad choice.

I'm surprised you didn't get a million people jump on this thread.

The thrust master was my first instinct for a recommendation out of your list though.
I'm sure a few people would have told you saitek and a few others would have told you Hotas, but meh!
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

That's because:

1) We still don't have a million people on HLP;
2) I use the keyboard only; ergo
3) I'm not one of the million.

:p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline GreyKat

The thrust master was my first instinct for a recommendation out of your list though.
I'm sure a few people would have told you saitek and a few others would have told you Hotas, but meh!

Thanks for the comment.
I went with the T. Flight Stick X because I heard it was well built and the Hotas X simply looked too big.

I have a Thrustmaster t.16000m and I've been really happy with it so far.

I must say it's a very accurate stick compared to most of the others I've tried in the same price range and my only complaints are that the rudder axis isn't as accurate and smooth as the x and y axis (though that might have more to do with the x and y axis working so well rather than the rudder axis being bad) and the buttons at the base are a bit hard to navigate by feel.

I'm not sure if either of the Thrustmaster sticks are similar at all, but I would probably pick either one over the Logitech since the cheaper Logitech joysticks often have annoying potentiometer issues. (not all of them though, I used to have an old Logitech Wingman that served me well a good five years without issues)

Though I actually don't use my joystick in Freespace very much despite having it. I'm so used to using a mouse and numpad to move my ship around that the joystick feels very strange. (when I have a joystick my brain seems to go into "flight sim" mode and I'm too gentle with the stick and move rather sluggishly as a result.  :lol: )

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Can somebody aid me in chosing rudder pedals and throttle?
I already have a 4-axis joystick, but I started to play simulators and found 3rd axis (twist handle) difficult to control.
Of course, they should be not really expensive, but realiable and comfortable.