Author Topic: The Lieutenant Nehru Memorial Challenge  (Read 13312 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Lieutenant Nehru Memorial Challenge
I want stories - and preferably video as well - of any brave pilot who can complete The Dragon Awakes, Forced Entry, Keepers of Hell, A Time for Heroes, and Universal Truth on Insane, both with or without Fury's 3.6.12 upgrade.

They can all be done.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: The Lieutenant Nehru Memorial Challenge
Extra points for anyone keeping Nehru alive.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I kept him alive once in the original release.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's more fun to let him die in this version. :p

...This has nothing to do with my tendencies (which might or might not exist) to spook my wingmen by firing at/around them. :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
He died, I loved how he sounded. That was ****ing awesome. Kudos for throwing that in there.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

How do you even keep him alive?  He self-destructed for me =(

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
~+Shift+I :P

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nehru does not self-destruct. It's possible to keep him alive without cheats, just ask HerraTohtori. :p

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic

On Insane.

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It may look, in the log, like he self-destructs, but that's a consequence of a workaround for an FSOpen engine quirk regarding messages played at death.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Herra Tohtori, I challenge you to keep Nehru alive on Insane while using at least the AI mod from 3612 feature pack. :lol:

Is that so?  I didn't even try to save him as I thought it wasn't possible.  Will have to attempt it later.

I guess I need to save Nehru now, he died ramming himself into the last Shivan Dragon.  :wtf:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
AAARRRRGGGHHHhhhh-<static>

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I saved him on the older version of AoA, will try to do it now.

BTW, is it too noticeable the differences btw the Fury's custom AI pack and the retail one on AoA?

I'm on the first mission and I don't want to have to replay all again just for the sake of testing each option.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
BTW, is it too noticeable the differences btw the Fury's custom AI pack and the retail one on AoA?
"Like night and day"

Offline -Norbert-

With the original AI I could only smile when they other pilots were afraid of Dragons "Oh my God DRAGONS! WERE ALL SOOO DEAD!"....
With the new AI I can understand how they feel.
I finished the mission in the asteroidfield with 14% hull.... on the 2nd difficulty setting....

And you really should leave the glidemod file in. That is just so much fun :) and against those Dragons a BIG help.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So I was like: "Bring it *****es, insane mode, new A.I."
Then after 5 to 8 tries I was like "Okay okay, I will admit, that may have been a bit too hard for starters, let's do hard mode"
10 to 15 tries later "Fffuuuuu-"
20 tries in medium later "*wheeze* F-finally... Eat that dragon bastards! Wooooooo..."

The biggest problem though, is that the friendly A.I. has a too high 'get away chance' setting. Resulting in them being well... nearly useless. Since they will try to out fly dragons which just results in a long train of dragons behind your team mates, pounding their tailpipes. Retail a.i. on insane makes your team mates actually DO something.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I use my Wingman, in such situations, as cannonfodder...distraction for the hostile fighters. :P
I'll play the mission again via techroom, and try to save that guy.

Hm, is there some kind of payoff in later missions if you keep Nehru alive?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not a thing.

This thread has become very focused on Nehru. I refer folks to the original post.