Author Topic: Mission Skip - Possible issue  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Mission Skip - Possible issue
I'm not sure what the cause of this is, exactly...

I was playing the mission Frankenstein's Monsters in the new BP:AoA release, and got the skip option after failing too many times. I chose the option to skip, but it took me back to the briefing for Frankenstein's Monsters again. The dialog did not reappear the next time I failed.

I tried to cheat through the mission, and got the success debrief, but was unable to proceed to the next mission. These may or may not be related.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Mission Skip - Possible issue
Does this happen with a fresh pilot?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Also, debug log.

It would be sort of helpful to provide some information aside from the description of the problem. :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It would be sort of helpful to provide some information aside from the description of the problem. :nervous:

Unless of course it's a known issue, in which case a debug log would be unnecessary!

I'll get right on that.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Happened to me as well, but I did not report this because it happened too fast to take note of the problem.

You basically get the basic "you died man, select what you want to do next" --> retry, exit blablabla

And a few seconds after that the window closes itself and you find yourself on the briefing again.

I was using 3.6.12 RC1, using blueplanet AoA Director's cut, with Fury's special AI mod.

Will try to reproduce the error once I get back home.

EDIT:

well now I can't make it happen :S
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:43:07 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I should note that it's a red-alert mission it happens in. I wonder if maybe this is related to the fix (or lack thereof ?) for that other skip-mission issue I mantis'd earlier?

Sorry for the lack of a log still... I've been in class... heck, I shouldn't have even been on here posting xD

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I've heard of this happening in FH2260 M12 as well.  It's a scramble mission. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Is that also a red alert?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No just scramble.  

I personally haven't seen the issue but there have been 2 or 3 people complaining about it in the Vid's campaigns are too difficult thread in the TBP forum.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce this exact issue (I accidentally succeeded in that mission :( ), but I noticed something which may be related...

In one of the later missions in the campaign, I died, but then the mission came to an end-mission sexp so I proceeded to the next mission. The death console displayed as soon as I entered the next mission.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Was that end-mission for sure? Not red-alert?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sounds like red-alert-carry to me....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Actually I'm not sure. Whatever's used after the kill-the-Lucy-for-real sequence in BP:AoA.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Alright, it's beginning to seem like the skip mission feature is completely broken. The mission I just failed 5 times and tried to skip (after at least once declining to skip) was the FSPort mission where the Shivans mess up the capture of the Ramses ("The Darkness and the Night" ?). Instead of skipping it, it put me back in the briefing again, but reset my failures count so I would have to fail another 5 times just to skip it. And that's if it somehow decided to work the second time around.

Edit: #2000 on mantis
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:30:41 am by Aardwolf »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Have you got any idea how long this might have been broken? I removed some code over a year ago to do with mission skipping but as far as I can tell nothing was calling it in the first place so the break is probably older than this.

Can you do this in 3.6.9 and 3.6.10?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce this exact issue (I accidentally succeeded in that mission :( ), but I noticed something which may be related...

In one of the later missions in the campaign, I died, but then the mission came to an end-mission sexp so I proceeded to the next mission. The death console displayed as soon as I entered the next mission.
That's how I finished transcend
I collided with the transcended and died, in my deathroll the game started going into slowmotion with the subspace tunnel collapsing. It was pretty epic really  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Ahh, this happened with me as well when I played through the new blue planet campaign. Only difference is, even when I completed the mission, I still failed. I used a fresh pilot, too. The only solution was to go back to the previous missions and play through them. See, what happened was that I found out about the inferno build midway through, so I skipped through the missions till I was back at the one I reached as a normal pilot. The levels preceding it were continual, so that might hold some relevance here...?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:29:38 am by Nemesis6 »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Anyone had this on non-Inferno builds?  Starting to wonder if it might be an issue only happening in Inferno builds.  Seems like this should have come up before the RC stage if it was happening in Knightly builds. 

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Anyone had this on non-Inferno builds?  Starting to wonder if it might be an issue only happening in Inferno builds.  Seems like this should have come up before the RC stage if it was happening in Knightly builds. 
I was using a non inferno build when playing transcend
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm know the cause of Mantis 2000 actually. It's the other bug that is the issue. I don't particularly want to fix the one I understand unless I know what is causing the other one.

As for the end-mission bug. It is indeed a bug, in the mission, not the code. It's one I've made myself but you should always test if the player is still alive before calling end-mission. End-mission isn't meant to care as it allows you to have unskippable training missions, dream sequences and all manner of other crazy ideas occur and leap the player to the debrief screen as soon as they die.

It's probably worth adding a warning about this to the SEXP description though.