Author Topic: RELEASE - Relentless  (Read 30765 times)

Offline Deka1184

• Formerly known as KappaWing
RELEASE - Relentless
After more than four years of development, I am proud to announce the release of Relentless.

I apologize for the extremely long time frame, but the latter 3 years were spent in frustration at beta testers who make commitments they can't keep, but I won't mention any names. Its not a flawless campaign by far. The missions are breakable if you don't follow the implied course of action. Although there are no directives, looking back at the message log should keep you on track if you feel lost. You shouldn't need to, though. Unlike the storyline, the gameplay is pretty straightforward. Using cheats also tends to break missions, as well as being a godly awesome or pathetically terrible pilot. I feel it is calibrated to standard difficulty, though, meaning that easy really means easy, medium is medium, and so on. Hopefully this will negate a lot of "bug reports".

EDIT: Do not be fooled by 5 pages of argument over bugs. As I've said above, there are a few minor flaws to the campaign. In the end, they detract very little from the experience. Playing through with 3.6.10 works just fine for everyone, so that would be your safest bet. If you will accept nothing less than BP quality, please keep your comments to yourself.

After being KappaWing for 5 years, I have a new callsign now, but I don't mind if you still call me Kappa. =)

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/?cqkwtmxgmyw
EDIT: mirror http://www.filefront.com/15938183/Relentless.7z
EDIT: A special thank you to The E and -Norbert- for improving the mod.

I did all the FRED work here, but I also used a lot of mods. A long time ago I had a running list of the mods I used and their respective creators, but I seem to have lost it. My apologies, but a few names that pop into my head are TrashMan and the Inferno team. I used quite a bit of their stuff. If you recognize mods in this campaign, please send me a private message so that I can add them to this post.
EDIT: StratComm's Raynor and Chimera
EDIT2: Benji303's Music, along with the Inferno team's music.
Inferno team's various shivan ships

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidWzQ35O8I

This trailer is very old. Don't let it fool you - Relentless now requires SCP 3.6.10 or later.

Just a friendly remeinder to use spoiler tags where appropriate.

Please, Enjoy.  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:02:24 pm by Deka1184 »

Offline Nuclear1

Re: RELEASE - Relentless
I'm coming home from deployment in a month.

This is priority one on FS playlist. :D Welcome back Kappa.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

No mod.ini makes me a sad panda. :(
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I remember a demo for this. Or something else. I'm not sure.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

I definitely remember the Mein Herz Brennt trailer.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah. A very nice trailer. The words seems somewhat appropriate (speaking of nightmare demons :P )
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Deka, who beta-tested this?

Noticed a briefing issue or so, and a number of bugs in-game. The Blue Lions also seemed to be wearing red shirts.

Offline -Norbert-

He wouldn't say who beta tested the campaign in the first post, so I doubt he will give out their names now.
Anyway before I download and try it out two suggestions for the YouTube video.
You should put the name of the song in the describtion (to avoid having the trailer removed due to copyright issues) and I'd also put a link to this thread or a homepage into the describtion, so people who stumble across the trailer and get interrested know how to find the actual mod.
Downloading now....

For the lazy people out there I put together a quick mod.ini and a picture for the campaign (just a cutout of the name from the picture in the first post, nothing fancy).
Am I right in the assumption that it is supposed to work with the MediaVPs?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:23:57 am by -Norbert- »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm sorry, but have you EVER run this mod through a recent debug build? There is one crash issue that will kill .12 RC1 debug, and even after fixing that (a simple correction of the Raynor's tech description to remove a semicolon), there is still a ****load of errors remaining.

Code: [Select]
WARNING: "Too many beam sections for weapon SRed - max is 5" at weapons.cpp:2143
WARNING: "Too many beam sections for weapon SRed - max is 5" at weapons.cpp:2143
WARNING: "Too many beam sections for weapon LRed - max is 5" at weapons.cpp:2143
WARNING: "Too many beam sections for weapon LRed - max is 5" at weapons.cpp:2143
WARNING: "Too many beam sections for weapon BFRed - max is 5" at weapons.cpp:2143
WARNING: "Too many beam sections for weapon BFRed - max is 5" at weapons.cpp:2143
WARNING: "Secondary bank capacities have not been completely specified for ship class GTF Myrmidon... fix this!!" at ship.cpp:1922
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Assault Plasma Cannon"  in ship: Alliance Jump Gate's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Assault Plasma Cannon"  in ship: Alliance Jump Gate's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "SVa"  in ship: GVC Mafdet's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Prometheus U"  in ship: GVB Anhur's primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "S-Swarm"  in ship: SB Yali's default secondary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "SB Yali has no secondary weapons, this cannot be!" at ship.cpp:1910
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "T3l-SB"  in ship: SB Yali's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "T3l-SB"  in ship: SB Yali's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Shivan Swarm of Death"  in ship: SCa Shiamak's default secondary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Shivan Swarm of Death"  in ship: SCa Shiamak's default secondary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Shivan Ultra Laser"  in ship: SCa Shiamak's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Shivan Ultra Laser"  in ship: SCa Shiamak's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Shivan Ultra Laser"  in ship: SPD Vinaashak's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "Shivan Ultra Laser"  in ship: SPD Vinaashak's default primary banks." at parselo.cpp:2259
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'test-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'radar-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_trails-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_dragon-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_density-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_models-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_adveffects-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_tech-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'xerxes-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'scorpion-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'sclamia-shp.tbm' ...
Use of deprecated subsystem syntax.  Please use the $Flags: field for subsystem flags.

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem arm_t:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals
Use of deprecated subsystem syntax.  Please use the $Flags: field for subsystem flags.

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem arm_l:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem arm_r:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem tendon_t:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem tendon_l:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem tendon_r:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem fin_t:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem fin_l:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

At least one of the following tags was used on ship SC Lamia, subsystem fin_r:
+untargetable
+carry-no-damage
+use-multiple-guns
+fire-down-normals

Here are a few more errors, courtesy of me browsing through the ship lab:

Model cutter.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
WARNING: "Subsystem "communications" in model "cutter.pof" is represented as "communication" in ships.tbl.  Although FS2_OPEN 3.6 and later will catch and correct this error, earlier versions (as well as retail FS2) will not.  You are advised to fix this if you plan to support earlier versions of FreeSpace." at modelread.cpp:604
Found live debris model for 'radar'
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 12.530 (12.530)
Frame  1 too long!!: frametime = 0.341 (0.341)
Loading model 'corvette3t-01.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'corvette3t-01.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x8b452963, IBX checksum: 0x101a8a28 -- "corvette3t-01.pof"
Model corvette3t-01.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Frame 379 too long!!: frametime = 0.992 (0.992)
Frame 380 too long!!: frametime = 0.372 (0.372)
Loading model 'raynor.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'raynor.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x0165d55e, IBX checksum: 0x917cb0e6 -- "raynor.pof"
Model raynor.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
WARNING: "Not all subsystems in model "raynor.pof" have a record in ships.tbl. This can cause game to crash.  List of subsystems not found from table is in log file." at modelread.cpp:633
Subsystem turretarm13 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm14 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm15 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm16 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm17 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm18 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm19 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm20 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm21 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm22 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm23 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm24 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turretarm25 in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fighterbay', believed to be in ship raynor.pof
Frame 650 too long!!: frametime = 8.454 (8.454)
Frame 651 too long!!: frametime = 1.192 (1.192)
Frame 967 too long!!: frametime = 0.486 (0.486)
Frame 1222 too long!!: frametime = 0.271 (0.271)
Frame 1424 too long!!: frametime = 1.545 (1.545)
Loading model 'bomberR-01v.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'bomberR-01v.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0xbc6a98e8, IBX checksum: 0x132aa96a -- "bomberR-01v.pof"
Model bomberR-01v.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Frame 1826 too long!!: frametime = 0.585 (0.585)
Frame 1827 too long!!: frametime = 0.262 (0.262)
Loading model 'cruiserR-01v.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'cruiserR-01v.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x9e003f3a, IBX checksum: 0x4aec3de2 -- "cruiserR-01v.pof"
Model cruiserR-01v.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Subsystem turret04-destroyed in model was not found in ships.tbl!
Frame 1979 too long!!: frametime = 1.570 (1.570)
Frame 1980 too long!!: frametime = 0.309 (0.309)
Frame 2935 too long!!: frametime = 0.447 (0.447)
Loading model 'Ammit.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'Ammit.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0xe6429e75, IBX checksum: 0xbd109281 -- "Ammit.pof"
Frame 3022 too long!!: frametime = 0.730 (0.730)
Loading model 'Apep.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'Apep.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x27355a85, IBX checksum: 0x982a2cd7 -- "Apep.pof"
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'reactor', believed to be in ship Apep.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'bridge', believed to be in ship Apep.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fighterbay01', believed to be in ship Apep.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fighterbay02', believed to be in ship Apep.pof
Frame 3428 too long!!: frametime = 0.974 (0.974)
Loading model 'SCLamia.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'SCLamia.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x5e22303e, IBX checksum: 0x0eb758ac -- "SCLamia.pof"
Model SCLamia.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'tendon_t', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'tendon_l', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'tendon_r', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'arm_l', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'arm_r', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'arm_t', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fin_l', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fin_r', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fin_t', believed to be in ship SCLamia.pof
Frame 4600 too long!!: frametime = 2.076 (2.076)
Loading model 'fighter12.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'fighter12.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x7ecfae3a, IBX checksum: 0x6920832e -- "fighter12.pof"
Frame 6992 too long!!: frametime = 0.300 (0.300)
Loading model 'x3.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'x3.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0xa22e45d3, IBX checksum: 0xd3d1276b -- "x3.pof"
Model x3.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Frame 7115 too long!!: frametime = 0.757 (0.757)
Loading model 'corvette_scylla.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'corvette_scylla.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x0713362a, IBX checksum: 0x0156640b -- "corvette_scylla.pof"
Model corvette_scylla.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'reactor', believed to be in ship corvette_scylla.pof
Frame 8797 too long!!: frametime = 0.914 (0.914)
Loading model 'SuperCap4S-01.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'SuperCap4S-01.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x603a8e8d, IBX checksum: 0x91da2029 -- "SuperCap4S-01.pof"
Model SuperCap4S-01.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fighterbay', believed to be in ship SuperCap4S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'reactor1', believed to be in ship SuperCap4S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'reactor2', believed to be in ship SuperCap4S-01.pof
Frame 9130 too long!!: frametime = 0.722 (0.722)
Loading model 'Comm2S-01.pof'
IBX:  Warning!  Found invalid IBX file: 'Comm2S-01.ibx'
IBX: Starting a new IBX for 'Comm2S-01.pof'.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (commtiles1-glow.eff) with 40 frames at 26 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (commtiles2-glow.eff) with 35 frames at 40 fps.
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'piece1a', believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'piece2a', believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'piece3a', believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'piece4a', believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'piece5a', believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'core', believed to be in ship Comm2S-01.pof
Frame 9430 too long!!: frametime = 1.640 (1.640)
Loading model 'ShivWorm.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'ShivWorm.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 0x25d18b4d, IBX checksum: 0x1af3e744 -- "ShivWorm.pof"
WARNING: "Couldn't open texture 'shivworm01a' referenced by model 'ShivWorm.pof'" at modelread.cpp:2264
WARNING: "Couldn't open texture 'shivworm01b' referenced by model 'ShivWorm.pof'" at modelread.cpp:2264
Model ShivWorm.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Potential problem found: Unrecognized subsystem type 'fighterbay', believed to be in ship ShivWorm.pof

Loading the first mission crashes debug:

ASSERTION: "Player_weapon_precedence[j] > 0" at ship.cpp:7641
This is related to this debug warning:
WARNING: "There are 3 secondary banks in model, but only 2 secondary banks specified for GTF Myrmidon" at ship.cpp:7637
Fixing one will probably fix the other.

In addition, your music.tbl seems to be incompatible with mv_music.

Also, you are aware that there are HTL versions of both the Chimera and the Raynor out there (Check Blue Planet AoA)?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:56:45 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Yes, the debug builds are there for this purpose: to run through it and fix everything you can. It'll save your players from a lot of trouble.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hrm, a bit bemused by the low-poly StratComm ships. There are high-poly ones available for public download or in the Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius Director's Cut.

Looking forward to trying this out, though, always good to see new campaigns. Unfortunately it sounds like this one should maybe have picked up a few more testers and spent a little longer in iteration?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Unfortunately it sounds like this one should maybe have picked up a few more testers and spent a little longer in iteration?
I'm starting to notice a bit of a trend here in recent releases...

I guess I'll wait with playing this one till the biggest issues are resolved then  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Deka1184

I don't understand why you guys are running this through the latest and greatest builds. Its designed to work with 3.6.10, which is a fully finished version, not some release candidate. Use this mod with volatile builds at your own risk!

And no I was unaware that there are hi-poly versions of these ships, probably because I never heard of "Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius Director's Cut", but it sounds cool so I'll give it a play. =)

Trust me, with some of the missions you will encounter in this campaign, low poly may actually be preferable. :P

You should put the name of the song in the describtion (to avoid having the trailer removed due to copyright issues) and I'd also put a link to this thread or a homepage into the describtion, so people who stumble across the trailer and get interrested know how to find the actual mod.

Ah, good idea. I used to have that when it was hosted on my old KappaWing account but I forgot to re add it. Done.

Also, I have no idea what a mod.ini is. Do we not use mod directories anymore or something? I've been out of the loop for too long it seems.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
3.6.12 debug builds will pick up errors that 3.6.10 didn't. Thus, they are very important for error-checking. The problems they detect are still problems under 3.6.10, except the game will choke on them instead of speaking up.

3.6.10 is also very much less stable and very much more buggy than 3.6.12 RC1, so people tend to steer clear of it. 3.6.10 is the 'volatile build' here.

If you're new to the community or have been away for a while, the big must-play campaigns are Derelict, Transcend, Silent Threat Reborn, and Blue Planet. Windmills is also fantastic, The Procyon Insurgency is a good challenge and quite well-FREDded, and there are TCs to check out as well.

Offline Jeff Vader

• The Back of the Hero!
  • Bwahaha
I don't understand why you guys are running this through the latest and greatest builds. Its designed to work with 3.6.10, which is a fully finished version, not some release candidate. Use this mod with volatile builds at your own risk!
3.6.12 RC1 is at least as stable as 3.6.10. Both of them would find bugs/errors/quirks in Relentless, though 3.6.12 would find more of them. The E was just pointing out that they exist and they are caused by the mod, not by 3.6.12. They may be problematic and should be dealt with.

Also, I have no idea what a mod.ini is. Do we not use mod directories anymore or something? I've been out of the loop for too long it seems.
With a mod.ini, a mod can use another mod at the same time. Mainly people like it, because then they can play mods and use the MediaVPs at the same time.
23:40 < achillion > EveningTea: ass
23:40 < achillion > wait no
23:40 < achillion > evilbagel: ass
23:40 < EveningTea > ?
23:40 < achillion > 2-letter tab complete failure

14:08 < achillion > there's too much talk of butts and dongs in here
14:08 < achillion > the level of discourse has really plummeted
14:08 < achillion > Let's talk about politics instead
14:08 <@The_E > butts and dongs are part of #hard-light's brand now
14:08 <@The_E > well
14:08 <@The_E > EvilBagel's brand, at least

01:06 < T-Rog > welp
01:07 < T-Rog > I've got to take some very strong antibiotics
01:07 < achillion > penis infection?
01:08 < T-Rog > Chlamydia
01:08 < achillion > O.o
01:09 < achillion > well
01:09 < achillion > I guess that happens
01:09 < T-Rog > at least it's curable
01:09 < achillion > yeah
01:10 < T-Rog > I take it you weren't actually expecting it to be a penis infection
01:10 < achillion > I was not

14:04 < achillion > Sometimes the way to simplify is to just have a habit and not think about it too much
14:05 < achillion > until stuff explodes
14:05 < achillion > then you start thinking about it

22:16 < T-Rog > I don't know how my gf would feel about Jewish conspiracy porn

15:41 <-INFO > EveningTea [[email protected]] has joined #hard-light
15:47 < EvilBagel> butt
15:51 < Achillion> yes
15:53 <-INFO > EveningTea [[email protected]] has quit [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client]

18:53 < Achillion> Dicks are fun

21:41 < MatthTheGeek> you can't spell assassin without two asses

20:05 < sigtau> i'm mining titcoins from now on

00:31 < oldlaptop> Drunken antisocial educated freezing hicks with good Internet == Finland stereotype

11:46 <-INFO > Kobrar [[email protected]] has joined #hard-light
11:50 < achtung> Surely you've heard of DVDA
11:50 < achtung> Double Vaginal Double ANal
11:51 < Kobrar> ...
11:51 <-INFO > Kobrar [[email protected]] has left #hard-light []

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, even under the bug-infested 3.6.10 it's a good idea to test your mod in debug builds to make sure it's debugged.

Offline Deka1184

3.6.12 RC1 is at least as stable as 3.6.10. Both of them would find these bugs/errors/quirks in Relentless. The E was just pointing out that they exist and they are caused by the mod, not by 3.6.12.

Well they work fine in my 3.6.10 and worked fine with all the beta testers 3.6.10's.  :blah:

With a mod.ini, a mod can use another mod at the same time. Mainly people like it, because then they can play mods and use the MediaVPs at the same time.

Can't you just do that by sticking the mediaVPs in the main directory?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, for one, .12 RC1 is very, very stable. Using it to check mods for errors (since it introduces massive speed boosts for debug builds as well as improved error checking) is something every developer should do. Second, you said
Relentless now requires SCP 3.6.10 or later.
See that "or later" part? It's too tempting to pass up, and just because .10 may not have caught these errors (which I find hard to believe), does not mean that this would have been stable on .10.

Also note that there are at least two errors in your tables that WILL cause .12 to crash and burn, and that your mods' music.tbl seems to be incompatible with mv_music.

Read the wiki for your education.

Right. With that out of the way, let me add a few more bits and pieces of criticism: You are using lots and lots of pcx and tga textures. Please always use dds for release textures; they are just that much better.
There's a "scorpion-shp.tbm" in your maps folder. This is not guaranteed to work.
You are using p_dead2.dds as a planet effect. AFAIK, this is a TBP asset, and as such, cannot be used outside of TBP.
In your missions folder, you distribute the Backup.00x and .bak files FRED uses for undo operations and backup. While not an error, it is just a bit of wasted space.
In your tables folder, you have both a ships.tbl and -shp.tbms as well as a weapons.tbl and -wep.tbms. Using both in the same directory is unnecessary (better to just create one unified tbm), and will lead to both tbls to be marked as invalid after startup.

EDIT:
Well they work fine in my 3.6.10 and worked fine with all the beta testers 3.6.10's.  :blah:

Right. But as I think we've pointed out, using .10 for error checking is not that good an idea.

I despair. Yes, you could do that. No, you shouldn't. Why? Because mod.inis are there for a reason. Because doing that may invite errors. Because the installation instructions tell you NOT TO DO THIS. So don't, OK?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:10:33 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
3.6.12 RC1 is at least as stable as 3.6.10. Both of them would find these bugs/errors/quirks in Relentless. The E was just pointing out that they exist and they are caused by the mod, not by 3.6.12.

Did you use a 3.6.10 debug build to test your mod? That's what they're for, debugging!

This must absolutely never ever happen. So the answer is 'no'. If you have your MediaVPs in the main directory, please remove them immediately and place them in a folder called 'mediavps'.

Offline Jeff Vader

• The Back of the Hero!
  • Bwahaha

Of course! And while at it, let's throw all the other mods there as well. That way we won't have to keep changing mod directories with the Launcher.

FSO basics:
- No mod files in the root \freespace2\ directory. Not a single one.
- Each mod must have its own subfolder. No two separate mods in the same folder.
23:40 < achillion > EveningTea: ass
23:40 < achillion > wait no
23:40 < achillion > evilbagel: ass
23:40 < EveningTea > ?
23:40 < achillion > 2-letter tab complete failure

14:08 < achillion > there's too much talk of butts and dongs in here
14:08 < achillion > the level of discourse has really plummeted
14:08 < achillion > Let's talk about politics instead
14:08 <@The_E > butts and dongs are part of #hard-light's brand now
14:08 <@The_E > well
14:08 <@The_E > EvilBagel's brand, at least

01:06 < T-Rog > welp
01:07 < T-Rog > I've got to take some very strong antibiotics
01:07 < achillion > penis infection?
01:08 < T-Rog > Chlamydia
01:08 < achillion > O.o
01:09 < achillion > well
01:09 < achillion > I guess that happens
01:09 < T-Rog > at least it's curable
01:09 < achillion > yeah
01:10 < T-Rog > I take it you weren't actually expecting it to be a penis infection
01:10 < achillion > I was not

14:04 < achillion > Sometimes the way to simplify is to just have a habit and not think about it too much
14:05 < achillion > until stuff explodes
14:05 < achillion > then you start thinking about it

22:16 < T-Rog > I don't know how my gf would feel about Jewish conspiracy porn

15:41 <-INFO > EveningTea [[email protected]] has joined #hard-light
15:47 < EvilBagel> butt
15:51 < Achillion> yes
15:53 <-INFO > EveningTea [[email protected]] has quit [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client]

18:53 < Achillion> Dicks are fun

21:41 < MatthTheGeek> you can't spell assassin without two asses

20:05 < sigtau> i'm mining titcoins from now on

00:31 < oldlaptop> Drunken antisocial educated freezing hicks with good Internet == Finland stereotype

11:46 <-INFO > Kobrar [[email protected]] has joined #hard-light
11:50 < achtung> Surely you've heard of DVDA
11:50 < achtung> Double Vaginal Double ANal
11:51 < Kobrar> ...
11:51 <-INFO > Kobrar [[email protected]] has left #hard-light []