Author Topic: auto installer question  (Read 2216 times)

auto installer question
I want to use the auto installer to install the SCP. I don't want any of the add ons, just the files necessary to play the original Freespace 2 with the updated graphics. I see the auto installer includes these files -

1) Sync
2) Transcend
3) Homesick
4) Awakenings
5) Silent Threat: Reborn
6) Freespace Port (assume it's the first game)
7) Just Another Day 1 & 2
8) Derelict SCP version

Can someone tell me what I do or don't want here? Do I have an option to choose? Thanks

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: auto installer question
All you will want to play original FreeSpace 2 with upgraded graphics are the 3.6.12 Inferno executables and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs.

However I strongly recommend grabbing the additional campaigns. Most of them are very small, filesize-wise, and Silent Threat Reborn and Blue Planet are both excellent and voice acted.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'd say the installer isn't a bad idea for the first time you install FSO. After that, however, you really ought to learn to do a manual installation. If you got your program from GOG.com, I strongly encourage you to come back and do a manual installation. If you choose to do so, just drop back in and any one of us will be happy to help you along.

;)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I  plan to use the GOG version. I see alot of different instructions for a manual set up. If you are willing to point me in the right direction for a good manual start, I'd appreciate it!

Years ago I had the HOTU version and actually did do a manual install, but I have forgotten - and I'm sure things have changed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not hard, and not particularly different from looking at what the installer does. Download the 3.6.12 or 3.6.13 nightly executables, put them in your FS2 folder; get a launcher, put it in your FS2 folder; get the 3.6.12 mediavps and put them in a mediavps_3612 folder; get whatever mods you like and make sure they're extracted to their default folders. Run the launcher, pick the executable you want, configure your options in the launcher and play.

Thanks. How about a link to an accurate walk through? This noob needs a step by step for the first try! :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, here you go.

1. Install FreeSpace 2 to a folder, say /Games/FreeSpace 2.

2. Download the 3.6.12 or 3.6.13 nightly executables from the Source Code Project forum; extract them to /FreeSpace 2/.

3. Download wxlauncher (google Hard Light wxlauncher.) Extract it to /FreeSpace 2/.

4. Download the 3.6.12 MediaVPs and the patch from the FreeSpace Upgrade Project forum. Extract them to /FreeSpace 2/; you should end up with a folder called /mediavps_3612/ within /FreeSpace 2/.

5. Download the mods you want and extract them to /FreeSpace 2/; they should autogenerate their own folders, for example 'homesick' or 'transcend' within /FreeSpace 2/.

6. Run wxlauncher. Select a 3.6.12 or 3.6.13 release executable under 'basic settings'. Turn on all the graphics options except mipmapping and 'disable scale to window for movies'. Turn on whatever gameplay options you like, including 'use 3d ship selection' and 'use 3d weapon selection.' Select mods under the 'mod' tab; mediavps_3612 is just FreeSpace 2 with enhanced graphics. Enjoy.

Thanks, General

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=47640.0

I found this about two inches above my post  ;)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Alright, here's something to keep in mind...

(a.) Getting advice to install the nightlies as a beginner is probably not great advice, because you're not dealing with an official release build.

(b.) Nightlies may not be stable, and thus certain game elements may be broken, etc. In short, you might not be dealing with a fully working build.

(c.) Though some versions of the nightlies might in fact be (and quite possibly/likely are) better than the current release build (3.6.12), the best idea is probably to stick with the official release build until you know what to expect when using the nightly builds. In short, don't put yourself into a position where you might as well be a beta tester for the next eventual release of FS unless you're ready to deal with any of the issues a beta tester might encounter.

As you might guess, I'd recommend using the official release build until you know what you're dealing with or might be getting into. Heck, I still use the official release build!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
(a.) Getting advice to install the nightlies as a beginner is probably not great advice, because you're not dealing with an official release build.

Wrong. The nightlies are quite reliable and will get much better performance. I try to point newbs at anything past go_faster.

(b.) Nightlies may not be stable, and thus certain game elements may be broken, etc. In short, you might not be dealing with a fully working build.

Nightlies at the moment are fine. Bug reports are also great. We assume you're not a moron, so if you go into the nightlies, obviously go in with your eyes open.

(c.) Though some versions of the nightlies might in fact be (and quite possibly/likely are) better than the current release build (3.6.12), the best idea is probably to stick with the official release build until you know what to expect when using the nightly builds. In short, don't put yourself into a position where you might as well be a beta tester for the next eventual release of FS unless you're ready to deal with any of the issues a beta tester might encounter.

Ignore him, we're doing you a favor here. If you get any sound cutouts let us know; if you prefer to stick with 3.6.12 final that's also your call. Ultimately it's up to you.