Author Topic: Upgrades for the original Freespace?  (Read 2795 times)

Upgrades for the original Freespace?
Hey, sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I had trouble running a search for it.

I've been reading about all the Freespace 2 upgrades and projects on different gaming sites, but I have an old retail copy of the first Freespace game.  I'd like to replay that and get back into the universe before I grab Freespace 2 off of GoG - are there any graphical upgrades for Freespace 1 like there are for Freespace 2?

Re: Upgrades for the original Freespace?
unfortunately no. There is a Port of FS1 to FS2, but as anything else goes, I'm sorry.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There are in a roundabout way - install FreeSpace Port for FreeSpace 2, then install the FSPort MediaVPs (as well as the regular MediaVPs), and enjoy.

We do not have access to the FS1 source code so that game has never been developed on its own.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Thanks for playing!

The FreeSpace Port requires the FS2 Engine and visual enhancements (MediaVPs), as well as its own mod and its own supplemental visual enhancements (FSPort MVPs). I would recommend purchasing FS2 and going through the install process of FS2 Open and playing FSPort for the most in graphical goodness.

:pimp: And play Silent Threat: Reborn between FS1 and FS2. :pimp:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
That, and Freespace 2 and all the associated projects are well worth playing. :)
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
In fact, I replayed the vanilla FS1 yesterday and...hum... I was shocked.  :shaking:
On a LCD screen with 1600 * 1200 resolution, it's HORRIBLE. Perhaps fun, but very ugly. Don't forget the resolution was fixed at 640 * 480.

FSPort © : The best Way to Play.

No commercial ad inside
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
In fact, I replayed the vanilla FS1 yesterday and...hum... I was shocked.  :shaking:
On a LCD screen with 1600 * 1200 resolution, it's HORRIBLE. Perhaps fun, but very ugly. Don't forget the resolution was fixed at 640 * 480.

No commercial ad inside
:eek: Ugly? UGLY?!?!?  I would say its "classic" or perhaps "seasoned", but not ugly. :)

To be honest, I prefer vanilla FS1 to FSPort.  Call me a purist but I like the increased difficulty of inaccurate missiles.
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable

No commercial ad inside
:eek: Ugly? UGLY?!?!?  I would say its "classic" or perhaps "seasoned", but not ugly. :)

To be honest, I prefer vanilla FS1 to FSPort.  Call me a purist but I like the increased difficulty of inaccurate missiles.

I find Hornets to be far more accurate in Vanilla FS1

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
 :shaking: Don't be angry guys, I don't have said vanilla FS1 is not good to play ! But I think about the "new-next-gen" generation.
FSPort, even not perfect, is IMO a good way for someone who's discovering FS1 to play in good condition. I'm pretty sure all has been done to keep the experience as close as the original. And don't forget that in the credit mission of FSPort they talk about the possibilty to buy the vanilla FS1 on GoG.com.
And if I want to replay vanilla FS1 with the original feeling, then I re-plug my CRT  :D

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I enjoyed the weird 3D nebulae background that they used in the original FS. Dunno why bit it was kind of cool looking. I also liked the "ka-click" sound whenever your weapons hit a target a lot more than the sound in FS2.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I also liked the "ka-click" sound whenever your weapons hit a target a lot more than the sound in FS2.

What's this? To my knowledge we had ported over all the FS1 sound effects.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I enjoyed the weird 3D nebulae background that they used in the original FS.

Those are bitmaps, right?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I enjoyed the weird 3D nebulae background that they used in the original FS.

Those are bitmaps, right?

don't think so

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
no, they aren't, they're some type of generated thing IIRC

and I think I prefer them to FS2's nebula background, which look kinda ugly and really cartoony (as do lightspeed's)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
They are just vectors. They look simple and fill the whole scenery - they are easy to use. But for gods sake they aren't superior to nebula images (even if some look cartoonish).

Oh and for upgrading FS:

You can increase the native texture resolution by changing something somewhere... I guess karajorma's facts (to be found in his signature) contain this info :)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
They are just vectors. They look simple and fill the whole scenery - they are easy to use. But for gods sake they aren't superior to nebula images (even if some look cartoonish).

Oh and for upgrading FS:

You can increase the native texture resolution by changing something somewhere... I guess karajorma's facts (to be found in his signature) contain this info :)

Quote from: The FreeSpace Oracle
I want to play FreeSpace in another resolution but it only lets me play in 640x480. What can I do?

If you're trying to play FS1 in a different resolution you're bang out of luck. It's 640x480 or nothing. Ironically the only way to play FS1 in another resolution is to play the FS1 port on FS2, They're no way to get the original game to do it.

In fact, according to the FreeSpace Oracle, some hacks exist in order to improve the textures (from 256 X 256 pixels maps to 512 x 512), but there is no way to change resolution  :( I had almost a sudden heart attack when i read your post  :eek: