Author Topic: SD Demon model up for grabs  (Read 13790 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
SD Demon model up for grabs
A bit older model of mine that has been collecting dust on my HDD. If anyone wants it, here is it. The rar contains 3D max objects and a scene.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b1v3zvtt8z4upru

This is it's current state, after my lame texturing attempt:

Note that the 3D max version in the rar is not textured at all.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: SD Demon model up for grabs
Texturing looks ok, it could be better but it isn't anything to be ashamed of really.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Yeah, looks decent.
This render shows a bit more of the detail, i might work on it if i find the time.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Someone wanna start a thread in FSU?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Too early, i wont be able to start on that until mid january. Unless, someone else wants to finish it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah, looks decent.
This render shows a bit more of the detail, i might work on it if i find the time.

Frankly, I was torn between smoothing it and keeping it blocky.

At this point, I'd say it needs a bit more smoothing. It looks better in the image-render than during real-time rendering
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe this thread should be moved to FSU board.
That Demon looks great, I'd like to see it in next Mediavps.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Honestly, I think it should be curved a bit more and perhaps more like this:

Though I think I'd go a bit farther than that, even, and change things a bit more (like the engines, to make a little more sense)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:07:50 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I second the above post.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I really hope this comes through. :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree with Hades.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I disagree with Hades. I would prefer to see the outer shell smoothed a bit, but still substantially using the grey plating we have now. I really think the high-poly Demon's shell should match the MediaVPs Ravana's shell.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Anything that doesn't set my computer on fire works for me.  :)

Offline Hades

I disagree with Hades. I would prefer to see the outer shell smoothed a bit, but still substantially using the grey plating we have now. I really think the high-poly Demon's shell should match the MediaVPs Ravana's shell.
Oh! You mean that mediocre, almost impossible to see and what can barely be called detail? no, that's far worse than what I suggested. What I suggested would actually be adding detail, not a bunch of strips of pushed in mesh and ugly girder detail. It looks more like the creator were to lazy to actually come up with some actual, good looking detail.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I guess we disagree on that. The original normal map for that grey texture was pretty much flat with grooves in it, like the Terran armor plating tiles, but I created the current wrinkled map as I preferred a relatively smooth and seamless shell.

It's my preference for more Vasudan-like armor than Terran-like armor.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hades

Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm taking about the actual model (with both of my posts) and you seem to be talking about the texture.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'm talking about the interpretation of the detail we see on the texture. You seem to want to pull it all apart into individual chunks, while I would like to see it all as one smooth shell.

Offline Hades

Yes, because just rounding it barely looks better, it'd be like just rounding off the hatshepsut and saying it's finished, instead of actually adding detail.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
+1 for haddes

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree with Hades. The smoothing and texture-detailing deal works for fighters and bombers but not for bigger ships.