Author Topic: High-Poly TTC 1 (cargo07.pof)  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
High-Poly TTC 1 (cargo07.pof)

Just started tonight, thoughts?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Re: High-Poly TTC 1 (cargo07.pof)
Lookin' good. Do you plan to scale it to be normal size or are you keeping it retail sized?
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Needlessly excessive, perhaps? A lot of those small interior greebles would be better taken care of with a texture, and thus normal or bump maps. If you select a texture for those design elements, however, I would insist that further augment the polycount there so as to make better normal maps.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It does seem a bit overboard for a space box. :p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's not like you find a lot of them in one spot. :P

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Not true. In derelict, the Escher got trapped between circa 2 dozens of them... I hope i have the campaign right, but the point is the same :P

Not true. In derelict, the Escher got trapped between circa 2 dozens of them... I hope i have the campaign right, but the point is the same :P

You remembered correctly.  Its mission 11 of the campaign and is entitled Learning by Osmosis.  I don't know the exact number of cargo containers that are present.  I would have to pull up the mission file and look.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Well then. I guess we'll just have to test that mission once the model is POFed and see what it does.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Hades

It's only about 2000 triangles, which isn't that much considering that sure, it is a cargo container but it's a hell of a lot bigger than the Watchdog model, for instance, which has about the same.

Final triangle count is going to be around 3000-3500.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline ION3

How many of those containers will be in LOD0 distance at the same time?

Offline Tomo

I'd guess that there'll be more cargo pods in LOD0 distance than there would be sentry guns.

That said, on most hardware the polycount doesn't matter as much as the texture size and count.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I'm usually fan of greebles, but i think that stuff like cargo pods should be purely functional. the point of cargo pod is to haul material, not be to be shiny. That stuff in the middle serves no purpose at all. Detailed docking clamps on the other hand would, not to mention that most of the cargo pods actually lack any sort of entrance, so that might be nice.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This container, though, is used for sciencific purposes, so perhaps it need some kind of machinery like life support to do it's job.

Offline Hades

This container, though, is used for sciencific purposes, so perhaps it need some kind of machinery like life support to do it's job.
Which would probably be inside the hull so it doesn't get shot off...

I'm usually fan of greebles, but i think that stuff like cargo pods should be purely functional. the point of cargo pod is to haul material, not be to be shiny.
The point of a fighter is to intercept bombs and bombers, not to be shiny. The point of a warship is to engage other warships, not to be shiny. See where I'm going with this?
That stuff in the middle serves no purpose at all. Detailed docking clamps on the other hand would, not to mention that most of the cargo pods actually lack any sort of entrance, so that might be nice.
That stuff in the middle is piping, just like on the original texture, though I'll probably redo it. An entrance in FS terms would most likely be too small to see anyway, so probably not.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Well, there was something that i thought to be entrance on the Chronos and it was pretty visible :)