Author Topic: Nehrim  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

So this is a fascinating little gem.

For those who don't know, Nehrim is a total conversion for Oblivion made over four years by some Germans. The (somewhat janky but quite bearable) English translation was released several months ago. Most of Bethesda's systems have been overhauled, and generally for the better: travel, spells, combat, loot, you name it. It does feel like a mod at times - you can tell where they hacked their way around the engine, and it lacks the polish of a commercial title - but it's a thing of distinct vision and character, not just one of the most staggering efforts in modding I've come across but a genuinely compelling original work.

The ~20 hour main quest explores a political and philosophical war between gods and men, and it does so across scenery and via quest design with apparently infinite reserves of variety and scripting wizardry. I'm not kidding about that last part. Nehrim's scripters have waged war on Gamebryo, and their dark magicks have bent it to nefarious ends. Even an early 'kill rats' quest contains gameplay not found in Oblivion.

Here's an example: During one side-quest I was asked to eradicate some goblins holed up in a cave, but rather than charge in sword swinging I had to snipe the lock off a door with a bow and plant an explosive charge, collapsing half the cave on their heads. I don't want to misrepresent things - that scenario was scripted - but it was entertaining in its execution and the game never seems to run out of ways to keep things novel.

The narrative has a peculiar charm to it. While it sometimes misses its mark and is really a bit oddly-paced, it takes you on a journey with the scale and unabashed imagination of a Jules Verne novel. You'll see sights, man, I'm telling you. This **** is bonkers. You'll track a kidnapper through the wild, you'll embark on a Rune-like trek across the continent's underground, you'll be chased by a creature that can't be killed. There are betrayals, there are redemptions, there are questionable game design decisions. There are dwarves from space.

I'm overselling it, but you get the idea.

In short, Nehrim is a production with the depth and dimensions of a commercial RPG and the soul (and imperfections) of a hand-crafted indie game. I think it's pretty neat.

I feel obligated to mention that it's hobbled by a rocky start. When I say rocky, I mean the game's opening is an unholy machine of enthusiasm destruction. You will spend the first 30 to 60 minutes in a cave - a cave which does try some interesting things but is ultimately very cramped and linear - and when, surfacing, you finally feel the wind on your face it will only be to discover you are trapped in a tiny mining hamlet. You will then be asked to kill some rats in a different, smaller cave. And to find some soap.

But soon there will be a boat ride, and then - freedom.

tl;dr: german oblivion is the best oblivion here are some more pictures

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/arceihn/neh9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/arceihn/neh6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/arceihn/neh7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/arceihn/neh8.jpg

Offline sayoqod

New Oblivion? Dear Lord, don't let Zack see this :P
" Twas brillig and the slithy toves/did gyre and gimble through the wabe/ all mimsy were the borogroves/ and the mome raths outgrabe"

I told her :P.

Heck. Got it downlaoded, installed (in it's full German glory) but can't seem to get around and play it... yet.

Offline Topgun

I got to get to this sometime

Offline iamzack

Oblivion is somewhat FUBAR'd for me right now, but iunno if I'd do this one anyway. I already have a ton of mods that I like and it's not like I've ever gotten very far in the game. (I've closed the Kvatch gate... but that's it)
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've modded Oblivion to er... Oblivion in the past, not all Mods are intercompatable, and some won't work on the Steam version.

Nehrim was fun while it lasted... then I went back to oblivion  :blah:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Demitri

Sorry to bump this folks but having read this and the topic about the new elder scrolls game due in November, I've been looking about for a copy of oblivion but its proving tricky to locate at a reasonable price (amazon uk listed the GOTY edition at £70!!!!)

I have found it available on steam for a reasonable price but would i still be able to use mods like this one with a steam version of the game?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep, mods work fine on Steam

The only thing with the Steam version is mods that require obse to run, and even obse will run with a little work with it.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"