Author Topic: GTB Boanerges; texturing.  (Read 28878 times)

Offline Sab0o

GTB Boanerges; texturing.
Just started, take a look. Post bright ideas.

original thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61911.0

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: GTB Boanerges; texturing.

Nice work on the Boanerges. I am a little concerned that it's a tad bright...I could see it having a slightly more metallic (tint, I guess?) to it. I realize the current one -is- a bit dull, so I'm not saying that I'm concerned by it yet in the slightest, and we can do any fiddling adjustments to the chromatic space later, so keep it up.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Me likes.

The cockpit window feels a little too small though, I'd have thought the pilots would have been able to see on the sides. That's just a nitpick though, the overall design feels great.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Me likes.

The cockpit window feels a little too small though, I'd have thought the pilots would have been able to see on the sides. That's just a nitpick though, the overall design feels great.
Same. I don't like the cockpit at all, but there's not much that can be done about that. The texture looks good.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wow, is it that big?
I always thought that if pilots sat side by side, it'd look and "feel" well.
I didn't realized they can sit above each other, that thing is enormous!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's as long as an Ursa IIRC, just not as large.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I'm not to hot on the cockpit idea myself.  Personally a bubble-like cockpit would fit this mesh better IMHO.  But I guess if AthlonBoy doesn't object, you can change the cockpit.  The rest of the mesh is excellent, however. :yes:

-R

Offline Kolgena

There seems to be a lack of secondary hard points in the hump above the cockpit :P

I'm actually okay with the cockpit design, but could something be done about the triangular "pilot pods" that are there? If we get rid of the front corner, we could even push the pilots forward a bit, improving their perceived field of view.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Hey, you're right, it's missing the top missile bay.
I think that should be fixed before texturing.

Offline Sab0o

There seems to be a lack of secondary hard points in the hump above the cockpit :P

Yeah... I did notice this.... I'll fix it before i do any more. You didn't warn me I needed to add that!

.. I think I'll remove a few of the missiles too, 8 should do, it looks stupid atm.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yep. I can tell that's Athalon Boy's model with some tweaks right away. I would also suggest that you get rid of the canopy framing. In that regard...

...You might consider referencing  ::v:: 's original render of the Boa. Notice how the canopy extends all the way back to the thick green joining section. There is also a small fairing at the bottom of the canopy as well, perhaps for a sensor assembly. Also note the prominent... lamps?... on the upper section of the nosecone.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Sweet Jebediah's mullet. This is going to be epic. I can't claim to be as good of a modeller as you are, not by a long shot. With this in your hands, it will be awesome.

Comments are right about the cockpit. It needs a roof of glass. My attempt at the cockpit was, ah... half-cocked.

As for the area just above and behind the cockpit, that's actually some kind of weapon hardpoint I think. The space was left blank for one to be modelled in.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
What an ugly design!, I feel almost raged at seeing someone spending time on HTL'ing this thing.
No offense intended to any of the modders involved in this.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Luis Dias

What an ugly design!, I feel almost raged at seeing someone spending time on HTL'ing this thing.
No offense intended to any of the modders involved in this.

Hehe, taste is indeed undebatable. For instance, I love the original design of the Boanerges very much.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I actually think it has a charm all of its own. There were points to Athalon Boy's original model that I liked, and there were some I didn't. The base model has a lot of lovely curvature, and in some places, it needed to have less actually. In which case, reverting to some aspects of the original is necessary.

If I were to note another aspect that I think ought to be touched up on, I'd reference the spine of the bomber. The angularity on top of the intake is intact, and this is good. I'd suggest also retaining the sharpness of the foresection which flows back into that inlet. It's actually a very notable characteristic of the Boa, and is not at all bad in my opinion. However, keeping the curve is quite nice, too. Let me illustrate:

"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think at the least the canopy could do with some more work.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A canopy more akin to the original :v: design would be ideal.

Offline Sab0o

Oh. Much bigger response than I was expecting to be honest. I wasn't really planning on re-modelling this thing, (more than fixing errors) I assumed it was pretty much finished.. Which is why I UV'd it and started texturing.

I should be able to get away with the modifications suggested with minimal hassle though I think. I'll see what I can do. Good thing I posted this very early on in my texturing effort.

Offline Luis Dias

A canopy more akin to the original :v: design would be ideal.

+1

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I like the model very much. Just not the cockpit. Don't spend too much time redoing the thing. This model is very sleek and modern.