Poll

Should non-voice-acted messages beep (emptymsg.wav) or remain silent?

They should beep (emptymsg.wav)
54 (81.8%)
They should remain silent
4 (6.1%)
No opinion
3 (4.5%)
Else (please elaborate)
1 (1.5%)
Snuffleupaugus
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: May 10, 2011, 12:20:32 pm

Author Topic: emptymsg.wav vs. silence  (Read 4063 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
emptymsg.wav vs. silence
No further explanation required. What the poll says.

If you pick #4, please elaborate.

I'm indifferent about the issue. I say that as long as there's a sufficient pause between the messages, neither is better than the other.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: emptymsg.wav vs. silence
Messages without beeps just feel weird and wrong and I usually tend to miss them. Beep is mandatory.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
For me, the dialogue bits really come together after adding the beeps. Without them they always tend to feel kinda awkward.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Woot. Emptymsg.wav has gotten 7(!) votes already. :P
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline -Norbert-

I'm undecided on the matter actually.
On one side the beep helps to draw attention to new messages and thus makes it less likely that you don't notice it.
On the other hand, if someone want to play with text-to-voice switched on, the beep will make sure the message isn't spoken.

Is there a way to play the beep only when text-to-voice is switched off?

Since my eyes are usually glued to my reticle in combat (epic target fixation) or my sensors, while out-of-combat, I personally like to have an audible cue to let me know that there's some kind of dialogue going on.  From a FRED'er's perspective, it's also marginally helpful for letting you know that dialogue is popping up when it should.  It doesn't tell you that the right messages are popping up, but if you've been inserting events into/before chains that include send-message/send-message-list events, the interest will be more on whether or not the messages are still playing at all.

Also, I like to have a couple of different beep sound files in a campaign.  That allows me to use one for one faction and one for another to help differentiate between speakers during a verbal exchange.  It also breaks up the audio cues a bit so that you don't get a constant, annoying series of the same beep over and over again.  It's a little touch.

Incidentally, protip:  Send stealth fighters at me.  You could give me five minutes warning with silent messages, and they'd still take me by absolute surprise.  (Not that the element of surprise is really necessary to make me dead in FreeSpace.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm undecided on the matter actually.
On one side the beep helps to draw attention to new messages and thus makes it less likely that you don't notice it.
On the other hand, if someone want to play with text-to-voice switched on, the beep will make sure the message isn't spoken.

Is there a way to play the beep only when text-to-voice is switched off?

Emptymsg.wav will be ignored by TTS, so you already have this feature.

Offline -Norbert-

Really? I didn't know that. In that case I'm all for the beep.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To me, having the beeps there with no voice-acted message makes it feel more like there's something missing than simply having silent messages.  Of course, then I'd also want default persona messages turned off, too.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm all for the beeps, since it lets me know when I should divert my attention from my surroundings for a second to check out the message text.  I usually do all right even without the alerts, but they're a nice reminder.  Personally, though, I think I prefer just the msgstart.wav to the whole empty message.

Offline Kolgena

Beeps, so I know if I've missed something and need to press F4.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There's a hardcoded handful of files TTS ignores.  I've seen it posted two or three times lately so google should probably find that for you quicker than I could.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The beep for non-VA messages is needed, especially during those moments when you're paying more attention to your reticle than the messages. Without the beep, you might miss entire messages completely; the more wary would have their gameplay experience disrupted because they have to keep checking the message log.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Else (please elaborate)
There are a few different beep files in the various mods, there could be one for pilots, one for command, one for capships etc.
It would make it easier to keep up with the dialogs than with a single emptymsg.wav.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Else (please elaborate)
There are a few different beep files in the various mods, there could be one for pilots, one for command, one for capships etc.
It would make it easier to keep up with the dialogs than with a single emptymsg.wav.

TTS only knows how to ignore a couple of them (unless you set up some kind of special table)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
4 hardcoded filenames I think, did we add support for customizing that list yet?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yup.  Add this to the end of messages.tbl:

Code: [Select]
#Simulated Speech Overrides

$File Name: msg_1.wav
$File Name: msg_2.wav
$File Name: msg_3.wav
$File Name: msg_4.wav
$File Name: msg_5.wav
$File Name: msg_6.wav

#End

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
remind me which table again i am dumb

Offline Snail

• SC 5
messages.tbl

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i like the beep most of the time.  however, it gets irritating when there are tons of messages and/or they go by faster than you can read.  like, say, WIH.
I like to stare at the sun.