Author Topic: Custom subtitles and how to get them in game  (Read 1485 times)

Custom subtitles and how to get them in game
Hi all,

another noob question here, How do i get Fred to use my custom subtitles?, i have read a tutorial about cutscenes which briefly went over custom subtitles but it didn't cover what folders to put them in so fred can recognise them. Is there a complete Fred tutorial somewhere that covers everything someone could ever want to know??

Many thanks.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Custom subtitles and how to get them in game
You'll get more help in here. :)

As for your problem, well, there's no independent file for subtitles... do you mean the message text, or the subtitles used for in-game cutscenes?
As for a basic FRED tutorial, there's an exceptional one by none other than Volition themselves - it came with your copy of the game, and is accessible through FRED (under Help Topics, Extended Walkthrough). Unfortunately, it's for Pre-FSO (i.e. Vanilla, not SCP), s it doesn;t cover everything FRED id capable of these days. But it's a rock solid way to get started, and it will allow you to understand how the editor (and the sexp system) works. From there, it's easy. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Well basically it's for in game cutscenes at the start of a mission ie name of the star system and date, in fred using the cutscene sexps you can type a brief subtitle but what i want to know is how to use my own subtitles. I read a cutscene tutorial on the freespace wiki but that didn't explain how you actually get them in game. The Fred help which came with TBP is a great aid and so is the forum, i've learnt alot and experimented to the point where i'm creating my own mission, just can't get my head round this particular point lol!!

There's two ways of getting subtitles in a mission: by text (like you said, using the cutscene sexps you can type a brief subtitle) or by image. Create an image with text on it (save as PNG or no-mipmap DDS), and use the show-subtitle-image SEXP to show it. Where the image should be located, data/interface should work.

Ok thanks for that, it was begining to bug me lol, i will try it out at once.