Author Topic: Opinion/Feedback desired  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Opinion/Feedback desired
So, since this is supposed to be the place for any non-Volition code based tools, I've been wondering as to some organization.

Namely, that we don't see a lot of feedback or separation for other things to track, such as having a place for wxLauncher or even wxFred.

So, my suggestion that I'm requesting feedback for is a bit of an organizational structure for this area.

The standard "FreeSpace Tools Projects" (now pluralized) would be a general discussion avenue or potential support place (good for stickies and the like, tutorials on how to use, etc) and then we would have 3/4 child boards dedicated to:
1: PCS2 (Development, Bug Reports (though, those should happen on its bug tracker if there is one))
2: wxFred (while still not in a publicly usable state yet, it'll happen eventually, but can be used for now to let people know it exists and to outline what it is for)
3: wxLauncher which does have a release, can have a fixed location for where to go for the latest, development discussions and what have you, feature requests or bug reports and the like
4: Installer especially once it gets completed, have a fixed location for Release post data.

Granted, many of the things for the sub-boards (release notices and up-to-date information/builds/links) can happen in stickies pretty easily. But thread-able conversation tracking and topic browsing for each would be a nice plus, and having a slightly more organized level to sort through it might be appreciated.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the FSU on #SCP-FSU Talk with the SCP on #SCP
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Opinion/Feedback desired
I concur.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Sounds good to me.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
MY BODY IS READY.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I support this movement.
while ( !asleep)     |     Building a Warmachine for FreeSpace: Chronicles of a dark Age        |       My WIP's                                 
{Eights++}

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
+1
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
I agree on the condition that the forum name remain "FreeSpace Tools Project".  Because "tools" is already pluralized. :p

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
"Project" implies that PCS2/wxFRED/wxLauncher/FSO Installer are all under one unified project, which isn't really the case; they're all independent from one another.

If you wanted to keep them a "project" while still being accurate, you'd have to call the board "The FreeSpace Tools Projects Project". :p

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There is a unified community project to coordinate efforts on all tools, I thought that was why we made this forum :P
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Well, it's "unified" in the sense that we've lumped them all into one board. The individual projects have little to do with one another, other than being SCP-related coding projects that aren't based on :v:'s code, and they don't coordinate with each other, nor can I think of a reason for them to do so, except for eventually the launcher and the installer once it's ready. Still, if you'd like to refer to them collectively as a "project", fine by me.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
There is a unified community project to coordinate efforts on all tools

This.

Also, neither PCS2 nor wxLauncher are SCP-related.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sub boards are fine with me. :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
:necro:

Since The Various Powers That Be seem to have approved of the proposal in the OP, and wxL is at the point where it could use a board, could this perhaps be put into action? :)