Author Topic: ideone.com - online 40+ language compiler / sharing tool - more than a pastebin  (Read 2632 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
ideone.com - online 40+ language compiler / sharing tool - more than a pastebin
http://ideone.com/

enter your source code    or insert template or sample Would you like to manage your submissions? Sign up now.

click here to enter input (stdin) or additional note syntax highlight

What is ideone?
Ideone is something more than a pastebin; it's an online compiler and debugging tool which allows
to compile and run code online in more than 40 programming languages.   

How to use ideone?
Choose a programming language, enter your source code and input data into text boxes. Then check or uncheck run code (whether to execute your program) and private (whether not to list your code in the recent codes page) checkboxes, click the submit button and watch your snippet being executed.   

Having problems?
Check the samples to see how to write a properly working code. To find out more, see the help section or the FAQ page.

Try.  Discuss.  Enjoy.

Hope I've helped a little.. ;)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: ideone.com - online 40+ language compiler / sharing tool - more than a pastebin
what the hell?

How is this in any way useful?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Re: ideone.com - online 40+ language compiler / sharing tool - more than a pastebin
Hmm, well, I'm assuming you can test parts of code in this thing, and share (sort of like pastebin) the source code with others for collaboration.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure, but you can just as well test that code on your own system, and share the code through normal pastebin.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I suppose then it's probably just good for those times if you are using a public (at work?) system and you want to test a bit of code.  You could then work on code and see the results from your code from your home system if you uploaded it to ideone.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Could be useful if you where learning a new language. Say, you wanted to know how to do exceptions in Python but only knew how to do it in C++...
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Really not helpful for most programming tasks. Personally I'd prefer SSHing into the computer that I actually have  copy of the program on than maintaining separate copies online and locally. Plus it's really not a real IDE, it's just a  text box that you can put a snippet of code in. I don't even think it supports projects, much less compilations longer than 10 seconds (though I would shudder to imagine you putting that much code into that text box), which limits its usefulness to the most trivial programs. Even in that case it's not much more than an online text editor since you'll need to download the code to actually use it anyway, and it's a rather lame text editor at that. And if it's sharing code and collaborating that you want what you really need is something like Git or SVN; those are much more fully featured version control utilities than posting it to your facebook wall. Even if you're teaching yourself  a language, you don't really have much of a reason to know the language if you don't have a way to use it without this website in the first place. :p

Code: [Select]
#include <cstdlib>

int main(){
        while(void * ptr = malloc(1)){

}

while(1){

}
        return 1;
}

:nervous:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:10:25 pm by Polpolion »

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Wouldn't that overload the stack and try to crash your computer?  :drevil:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yep. There's a 5 second / 256MB memory limit on programs which prevents a lot of awful things from happening but I have  a feeling that having people write and run C/C++ on your server is going to end poorly.