Author Topic: Linux: Case sensitive directory names?  (Read 5344 times)

Linux: Case sensitive directory names?
I just got FSO rev 8896 from SVN and compiled; apparently, filenames are now case sensitive when not packed in VPs. The MVPs run fine, but the test mod attached will not work like it should: the "Data" folder is not recognized as a game directory. Rename it to "data" and it will work (you'll get a black choose-pilot screen).

Can anyone reproduce this, or did I simply mess something up in compiling?

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:07:08 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Recent SVN builds case sensitive?
I've seen this before on Linux, I assumed it had always been that way.  I believe Windows has a non-case-sensitive filesystem, so it doesn't care, Data & data are the same to it.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

If that's expected behaviour, it makes modding on Linux a pain... The Windows modders can and will use arbitrary capitalization without errors, but the same modpack will produce loads of errors on a case-sensitive system. Granted, with FRED Windows-only, there's not many Linux modders around, but still.
How hard would it be to fix this? I'd think it's simply a matter of converting all filename strings to lowercase before storing/using them?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well, you can get around this particular issue by using softlinks - i.e. ln -s Data data, a hard link would work as well (ln Data data) - I've used this before when necessary.

I haven't looked at the relevant code, so I'm not sure how easy this would be to change.  In theory it would be quite simple (as you say) - and the VP reading code seems to do this already.

(and yes, modding on Linux is a pain - I can't get FRED 3.6.14RC6 to save anything when running under wine - always CTD's :()
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Huh, apparently it's only the folder names that are affected - filenames can be capitalized no problem, but the directories must be all lowercase. Odd...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Linux: Case sensitive directory names?
Wait.  IIRC   .vp files aren't case-sensitive.  So, you can do w/e with the filename, provided it resides in a .vp file.  You could test this theory out.  Extract a .vp to the appropriate directories, then move the .vp away and rename one of the files using another case.

Aye, the MVPs work fine - they have capitals in directory names, right? (Anyone know of a VP viewer that compiles on *nix?)
But in a non-VPed setup, the directory names must all be lowercase for FSO to recognize them.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
MajaExpress is what I've been using: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Maja_Express (requires Java, OpenJDK seems to work fine)
----
----

Great, thanks :yes: