Author Topic: Graphicimprovements specially post effects  (Read 2542 times)

Graphicimprovements specially post effects
Hi.
I installed the FS2, Build 3.6.14, Loader5.5, RC, VPEs but the game still looks rather bad and unatmospheric.
I found the lightingssection in the wiki to adjust the settings.
But still:  Its hard to find a simple and easy to understand way to maximize the graphics in every aspect.
So, where are examplescreens or at least help of how to make FS2, so the campaign, looking as best as possible?
I dont find any settings or mods for post processing effects, making it looking more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R6xgQv0wT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hp5FCqRORk
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=72883.0
There seem other graphical improvements, but the searchfunction doesnt find much helpful things.
I read several stuff that doesnt help and become literally tired.
Could anyone help me?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Graphicimprovements specially post effects
You need the 3.6.12 MediaVPs. They're the big puzzle piece you're missing.

No i got them, i wrote VPEs instead, sorry.
The game looks better then the original, but far from the videos and some screenshots i saw,too (sure they are probably not from the campagin but still).
There are no settings for post effects like in the videos and i didnt find mods or help to change them myself.
This file from the user fury is gone, besides the thread is pretty old and i dont find another one for pp effects.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem with post effects is that it's pretty hard to come up with a set that works everywhere. The MediaVPs, by default, do not enable any because of this.

That said, have you actually enabled post processing in the Launcher? The bloom effect at the very least should be present.

Also, you can try this. Copy the following text block, and save it as "post_processing.tbl" in mediavps_3612\data\tables (create this directory if it doesn't exist). This will enable the BP2 WiH post-processing setup alongside the mvps.

Code: [Select]
#Effects

$Name: distort noise
$Uniform: noise_amount
$Define: FLAG_DISTORT_NOISE
$AlwaysOn: false
$Default: 0.0
$Div: 20000
$Add: 0

$Name: saturation
$Uniform: saturation
$Define: FLAG_SATURATION
$AlwaysOn: true
$Default: 0.7
$Div: 50

$Name: contrast
$Uniform: contrast
$Define: FLAG_CONTRAST
$AlwaysOn: true
$Default: 1.1

$Name: film grain
$Uniform: film_grain
$Define: FLAG_GRAIN
$Default: 0.2

$Name: stripes
$Uniform: tv_stripes
$Define: FLAG_STRIPES

$Name: cutoff
$Uniform: cutoff
$Define: FLAG_CUTOFF
$Default: 2.0
$Add: 0.0

$Name: dithering
$Uniform: dither
$Define: FLAG_DITH

#Ship Effects

$Name: Cloak
$Shader Effect: 2
$Disables Rendering: YES
$Invert timer: YES

$Name: Decloak
$Shader Effect: 2
$Disables Rendering: NO
$Invert timer: NO

#End
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thx.
I wrote this as customflag: -post_process
Right, isnt it?
I dont know that a tbl is, neither which programm is necessary to make them. Google doesnt find anything useful, sorry.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
tbls are text files. Notepad can be used to make them. And if you look closely, the launcher has an "Enable post-processing" thing in the Graphics section.

I dont got Notepad.
I got the Editor and Wordpad (german Win7 btw).
With Wordpad i can save it as .txt (Textdokument) or .docx. I think it is txt but somehow it seems to be different cause the german version, hm?

Edit: post_processing.txt under /Freespace 2/mediavps_3612/data/tables doesnt work. I changed the ending to tbl and a warning appeard, that the file may become unusable, but i agreed.
But there are still no effects visible. :/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:28:44 pm by wiresnsnakes »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Editor is what you want.

Use "Speichern Unter...", and change the file ending to .tbl.

If for some reason you cannot do this, you can just change the file extension in Explorer.

One note: In general, I am neither able nor willing to give people help with basic computer usage. If you want to do modding (and yes, that is exactly what you are doing here right now), these skills are absolutely necessary.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You have to change the drop down box "save file as type" and put it to "All files (*.*)" -- whatever the equivalent is in German.  Then you can change the file name to .tbl  Otherwise, it will put filename.tbl.txt or similar.

Alternatively, you can go into Folder Options and deselect the option to Hide extensions for well-know file types (again, the German equivalent of that) and then remove the .txt ending in Explorer.

I tried it two times and followed all orders, but somehow there are no post effects. Somethings maybe missing, but i dont got any idea what.
However, I will try it again and search for missing files etc.
Anyway thank you all. Afer i saw the videos I just was very

I got a few questions for other things, before i search for hours or make a new thread. I hope thats ok.

I still love the universe, story and atmosphere of FS2, but some things make it less good gameplaywise as it could be and I would like to change it with mods or editing files, if possible.

-The game feels very slow, specially bombers feel like playing in bullet time. Is it possible without causing problemes to change the speed? In some videos the gameplay seems to be quite faster (standalone mods probably...)

-Im missing physics, things like momentum. It still feels pretty like flaoting around in ghost-mode in a shooter (old pc games with a console-command/cheat, besides i cant drift etc.. Modwise?

-Overall its painfull turning with the mouse while hitting ships which dont get to hit me. Dogfights are somehow dull. Not sure, maybe im just doing it wrong and should take a higher difficulty...

-The sounds often (weapons and boost and explosions) dont seem like Im in a (closed) cockpit. Is there a solution? I thinking about working on the sounds with some music-software (via filters).

-I got the generic cockpit where the hud is changed, but there is no glass and no lights in it. Anything better available? In combination with the previous point i feel like in on of those things http://www.airventure.de/lakeland04/04_viersitzer_doppeldecker_newstandard1939.jpg

Probably there isnt much for FS2 i guess, any suggestions, no matter if its a mod or a retail game?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You should just go play Diaspora. You will probably never like FreeSpace 2, which is a shame, because it's amazing and has a billion really good mods.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I still love the universe, story and atmosphere of FS2, but some things make it less good gameplaywise as it could be and I would like to change it with mods or editing files, if possible.

-The game feels very slow, specially bombers feel like playing in bullet time. Is it possible without causing problemes to change the speed? In some videos the gameplay seems to be quite faster (standalone mods probably...)

-Im missing physics, things like momentum. It still feels pretty like flaoting around in ghost-mode in a shooter (old pc games with a console-command/cheat, besides i cant drift etc.. Modwise?

-Overall its painfull turning with the mouse while hitting ships which dont get to hit me. Dogfights are somehow dull. Not sure, maybe im just doing it wrong and should take a higher difficulty...

-The sounds often (weapons and boost and explosions) dont seem like Im in a (closed) cockpit. Is there a solution? I thinking about working on the sounds with some music-software (via filters).

-I got the generic cockpit where the hud is changed, but there is no glass and no lights in it. Anything better available? In combination with the previous point i feel like in on of those things http://www.airventure.de/lakeland04/04_viersitzer_doppeldecker_newstandard1939.jpg

Probably there isnt much for FS2 i guess, any suggestions, no matter if its a mod or a retail game?
You pretty much laid out everything that is wrong with vanilla FS2. Or not necessarily wrong, simply outdated to a point it's boring as hell.

In that regard you may like Blue Planet: War in Heaven and Vassago's Dirge mods more than vanilla FS2. Of course, Diaspora is step up from that gameplay wise.

Dont get me wrong! I played Freespace 2 just a few years ago with some improvements and it is one of my favorite games, from the overall experience. I didnt remember the flaws or "things that could be better"...maybe i should stop listening to Boards of Canada, ahem. AND the modders did awesome work. I really appreaciated this.

Sadly the pros are nothing new anymore and cant compensate the cons so greatly. And your Video Fury raised some high expectations visually vise. In sense of gameplay and features there just could be much more (btw the lose of some loved characters ((see, like in... ough...Space Above and Beyound)) could had a strong emotional impact in combination with a bit roleplay on the capital ships and stations)...
I try it out some time again or I maybe should just leave it and save my good memorys of it, like an old love... ; ) Diaspora doesnt look bad, btw.

Anyway, its generally hard to find games that inspire the fantasy and are special in terms of visuals, sound, atmosphere and story. Space has much potential, from Freespace and System Shock to Moon (Movie) to Lem's Solaris.
I made a "city" in a 3d programm, just some differently sized blocks with dark reflection, a dark sky and some lights and it still causes more emotions than all the AAA-stuff...
Whatever, maybe i find some indiegame, no matter which genre.

BTW: Sorry for my english...and my chattiness. And thx again.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously, try Blue Planet: War in Heaven.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sadly the pros are nothing new anymore and cant compensate the cons so greatly. And your Video Fury raised some high expectations visually vise. In sense of gameplay and features there just could be much more (btw the lose of some loved characters ((see, like in... ough...Space Above and Beyound)) could had a strong emotional impact in combination with a bit roleplay on the capital ships and stations)...

If you want characters (and character death) you should play BP2 War in Heaven, which is the mod Fury's postprocessing settings were built for. And you should still try Diaspora.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:17:16 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Luis Dias

.... or wait for Star Citizen...