Author Topic: computer specs required for Diaspora  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Snagger

computer specs required for Diaspora
Hi all.  Congratulations to the Devs for their achievement and for confounding the sceptics!

My computer is on its last legs and will probably keel over before the end of the year, so I need a replacement.  What specs will I need to run Diaspora at the best settings or at moderate settings without lag or slow screen updating?  I appreciate that FS2 is very old and was designed to be run on what now seem little more than calculators, but without understanding of the technical bits, I get the impression that the new code is much more complex and the models are enormous...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: computer specs required for Diaspora
So I take it you haven't read this post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

Because it kinda mentions the hardware requirements.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snagger

So I take it you haven't read this post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

Because it kinda mentions the hardware requirements.
No, because I thought the title suggested it was where you would download the game from.  I looked for a specifications related thread and looked through the FAQ threads but didn't find anything useful.

Thanks for the sarcasm; it shows a great level of maturity and friendliness.  And to think some people can't understand where the stereotype of computer or sci-fi geeks lacking inter-personal skills comes from...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, pardon me, but if I were to look for hardware requirements, a thread whose title starts with "[RELEASE]" would be one of the first places I would look. Apologies for assuming that everyone would follow that train of thought.

Offline newman

Thanks for the sarcasm; it shows a great level of maturity and friendliness.  And to think some people can't understand where the stereotype of computer or sci-fi geeks lacking inter-personal skills comes from...

Play nice, now. If you re-read his post and your reply, you'll see some very mild sarcasm, and a very much over-blown reaction to it. He gave you your answer, and granted, it was wrapped in some very mild sarcasm, to which you responded by calling him an unfriendly immature geek. You're not exactly a paying customer, so.. sure, play our game, we're giving years of our work away for free - if you run into trouble, we'll try and help you solve your issues. But we don't really owe professional level customer service to anyone.

edit: you also missed this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82208.0

So not exactly in the best position to go insult a developer because he's not providing you with polite enough tech support for something he's given you for free :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:54:49 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline festivefire

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
    • Minecraft
a simple reason the e was right about it being common sense to look in the release thread is that if you go to the store to buy a computer game, the hardware specs are printed on the package, not inside it where its to late when you ripped apart the box only to find out your computer can't run it. the internet equivalent for the box at the store is the release thread. just my two cents.
Digital Fire

Offline Snagger

The release thread is not necessarily an obvious place to look - I expected that to be the download thread only.  I asked a simple and civil question, and even included well deserved praise to the devs for their hard work, and what I received was the link to the information requested wrapped in an insult.  Was the insult really necessary?  I had looked for a technically related thread, after all - it wasn't as if I had been so lazy as to post a thread without looking for the information first.  Once could argue, festivefire, that it would be "common sense" to have an obvious sticky telling people the ideal and minimum system requirements and configurations, rather than having to go into threads with unrelated titles, or just to answer the question without a show of contempt.

Banter is a healthy activity amongst people who know each other well.  Insulting strangers for asking a question is not.  I'm glad your clique is strong enough for you all to defend each others' mild bullying of strangers.  It's shame that you don't seem to want to encourage outsiders to join your group.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think you're ever so slightly overreacting here. If you take a phrase like "I take it you haven't looked here:" to be an insult, well, tough ****. As insults go, this one happens mostly (I'd even say only) in your head. HLP isn't a bloody echo chamber, and newman certainly not hesitant to bring down the hammer if he feels lines are being crossed.

And yes, Release threads around here, and everywhere else I am aware of, mention hardware requirements. Hell, even a quick Google search would have turned up that information (because it has been mirrored elseweb). So forgive me for feeling that the information you were looking for is rather easy to find, and so being ever so slightly sarcastic in my response to a question that can only be asked by someone who didn't do even cursory research.

Seriously, a simple Google query for "diaspora game hardware requirements" would have answered your question.

EDIT:

Oh, and finally, someone who joined in '08, who presumably played BtRL, and who took part in the BSG/Caprica debates around here does no longer qualify for being a stranger.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:09:49 am by The E »

Offline newman

@Snagger: my point was, you took "I take it you haven't looked here" as an insult, yet calling that person an immature, unfriendly geek is an ok reaction to that? First of all, you misinterpreted it as an insult, which it isn't. Secondly, even if you hadn't, you'd still be blowing this way out of proportion and in the process doing way worse than you accused us of doing. Yes, he could have replied with all the professional courtesy you'd expect from a developer whose product you paid for, but guess what - as long as he's not outright insulting you, and he's not, he doesn't exactly owe it to anyone, so please subdue the self-entitled behavior.

Thread locked since I don't see what possible positive purpose it could serve from here on now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:27:32 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb