Author Topic: Missing techroom entries?  (Read 3302 times)

Missing techroom entries?
My BP techroom doesn't have entries for most of the new craft, and I'm wondering if that's intentional or I've somehow screwed the install. My techroom has entries for most FS1-era craft, and a handful of FS2 (Myrmidon, Hecate, couple others). No fancy new GTVA ships like the Nyx or even Herc Mk2, and no UEF ships whatsoever. The only BP ships with an entry are the GTD Carthage, GTI Asteria, and GTSG Alastor Bravo.

I also only have 6 weapons entries -- I only have the Subach, Mehku, Akheton, Rockeye, and Tempest, and a GEF weapon I forget the name of. The GEF weapon got unlocked during gameplay while the others were there from the start of the campaign. My intelligence tab has 15 entries, ending with Project Nagari. Nothing on Ubuntu, UEF culture, or the GTVA-UEF War -- so I think this is missing stuff also.

Any inkling as to what I've done? I did a full wipe and re-install with GoG's FS2, and used the BP Complete Installer. I'm also using The E's newer build from the Repository thread, though I think I had this issue with the default build as well. New pilot as well.

I've had no other problems and the campaign plays great. Just wondering if this is a bug, and how to fix it.

EDIT: I can't be sure, but I think my entries are basically what you get as a brand new pilot in vanilla FS2.

Re: Missing techroom entries?
Same thing happened here.  Used the BP complete installer.  I'm wondering if you have to play everything through in order for some of the entries to appear?

I actually was having similar issues with Wings of Dawn a few days ago.  I remembered a whole bunch of intel entries, and I wanted to go back and look at them half-way through the campaign, and they were gone.  Is there a maximum number of intel entries the engine allows at a time or something?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Don't think completion fixes things, I blew through the campaign today and the only new entry was that Gef weapon I forgot the name of, and another single ship entry (again, forgot which). Glad to hear I'm not alone though!  :yes:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
.... it could be a pilot code bug actually.  Could someone play through a bit of the freespace2 campaign,  without any mods and using the Blueplanet build to see if the problem occurs there?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Yeah, the only new entries in the tech room are the Carthage and one of the GEF warships. Nothing else. Clean FS2 install, complete BP packaged install. 3.6.12 VPS.

.... it could be a pilot code bug actually.  Could someone play through a bit of the freespace2 campaign,  without any mods and using the Blueplanet build to see if the problem occurs there?

Good idea, just finished it! The GTCv Deimos unlocks after the first real mission, so it's a very convenient test. The Deimos unlocks properly in all three builds I checked -- that is, the regular 3.6.16 Inferno build, and both 3.6.17 (BP) builds.

I tried using the separate AoA and WiH installers, no dice.

Nice to know I'm not alone here. I was about to ask the same thing.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There goes that idea  :lol:

I guess you could open up the core VP and have a look at the campaign file to see if any techroom entries are configured to be unlocked - probably not a good idea to do this until you complete the campaign of course as it might contain spoilers :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You guys are jumping at shadows in terms of the bug hunt. Most of the techroom material you're looking for is added at the beginning of BP2 R1. Just go watch Artemis Station and almost all of it will unlock.

We could add a redundant SEXP at the beginning of R2 as well but we assumed most people playing R1 have played R2 already.

You guys are jumping at shadows in terms of the bug hunt. Most of the techroom material you're looking for is added at the beginning of BP2 R1. Just go watch Artemis Station and almost all of it will unlock.

We could add a redundant SEXP at the beginning of R2 as well but we assumed most people playing R1 have played R2 already.

Actually you nailed it. I already played R1 multiple times on a previous file, so with this fresh file I jumped straight into R2. Watching Artemis Station cleared everything up. Thanks, Battuta!

EDIT: When I switch my pilot's campaign from WiH R1 to R2, I lose the unlocked tech entries. Is there any way to ensure I keep the entries while going through R2, or should I just switch campaigns when I want to read lore?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:15:38 pm by DrewToby »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Huh! I didn't think that would happen, but of course it makes perfect sense. The best way to do it just seems to be to add redundant SEXPs at the start of each campaign.

Offline Parias

Here's how out of touch I must be then, so bear with me... it sounds like the expectation is that we'd be using the same pilot file for all of the BP campaigns? I'm still stuck in the old mentality of making a new pilot file for every new custom campaign I start because I'm worried I'll hit one of those bizarro pilot file corruption problems. Have those actually been fixed now (wasn't sure if the new pilot code was in yet), or is this just a problem that wouldn't apply for traversing a single pilot across all the BP content (i.e. I'm being over-paranoid)?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You are a wise man. We thought that problem had been fixed with the new pilot code, but we're not sure any more.

Huh! Will try that fix. Btw, my old pilots didn't diss appear as it was said in the release thread. Is the new pilot code in yet?

I tried what Battuta said to do, and I still have a lot of missing entries, most notably the UEF ships.

Offline James Razor

• New Eden Veteran.
Erm... WTF:

Malloc Failed!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_17_SSE2_BP.exe! <no symbol>

Happened when i tryed to load the WIH 1 Campaign with my Pilot.

I managed to load WIH 1 by using another pilot (who was on TBI) and that switching back to my main BP pilot and than load it. But still, should not have happned. Also, my gamma settings are always ****ed up when this happens and FS2 Open crashes.

Oh btw.: Also got crashes from Antipodes.

Edit: ok... seems i can write this pilot off. Forgot to click select on the pilot srcreen in the baracks. So i was still in the other one (where i did not play through the other stuff, only TBI). Used that pilot to show a friend the game and didnt want him to fuzz around with my pilot. Seems i can now make a completly new one and play all the missions AGAIN :mad2:

I've just finished with WiH2 *starts crying*.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:25:30 pm by James Razor »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If the crash occurs after you select your pilot, then you might have hit this issue.  Check the size of your pilot files in data/players, if any of the .csg files are larger than a few MB then this will be it.  If you're brave you can try the solution in the other thread, otherwise you'll need to delete the large .csg pilotfile and start the campaign again :(
----
----

Offline James Razor

• New Eden Veteran.
If the crash occurs after you select your pilot, then you might have hit this issue.  Check the size of your pilot files in data/players, if any of the .csg files are larger than a few MB then this will be it.  If you're brave you can try the solution in the other thread, otherwise you'll need to delete the large .csg pilotfile and start the campaign again :(

Ok... one of the files with that pilot name is above 300MB, the other one is above 100MB.....

To say i'm pissed doesn't even get close to what i feel now. As much as i like BP, i simply do not have the time to run them again anytime soon. Not to mention that even on very easy these missions are not exactly easy. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 It was a pain to pass some of the WiH2 missions for me (ok, i am a terrybad pilot, but i usaly play after work and this week i had lateshift).

Well, going to make someones life misserable in Eve Online i think. Gank a miner or something....

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Ok... one of the files with that pilot name is above 300MB, the other one is above 100MB.....

To say i'm pissed doesn't even get close to what i feel now. As much as i like BP, i simply do not have the time to run them again anytime soon. Not to mention that even on very easy these missions are not exactly easy. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 It was a pain to pass some of the WiH2 missions for me (ok, i am a terrybad pilot, but i usaly play after work and this week i had lateshift).

Well, going to make someones life misserable in Eve Online i think. Gank a miner or something....

We can make you a pilot file with all the missions unlocked, or you can just hit ctrl-shift-S in the techroom to unlock all missions. You didn't lose anything too serious.

Offline James Razor

• New Eden Veteran.

We can make you a pilot file with all the missions unlocked, or you can just hit ctrl-shift-S in the techroom to unlock all missions. You didn't lose anything too serious.

Ok, thx for the tip. Still will have to run all the missions. And thinking it over, with the update it might not even be a bad idea after all. Only one thing is wondering me, i was under the impression the Draco would be replaced as well. Is that sill planed?